Spain considers Gibraltar border fee

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CivvyPete, Aug 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Spain considers Gibraltar border fee

Is Gibraltar not in the EU then?

Oh yes it is says my friendly Gib expert.

So surely any border charge for EU nationals, or restriction of movement would be a breach of all sorts of EU law? Lets pass this one straight to Brussels,with a demand for compo for any Gib or Brit citizen disadvantaged to Spain's action.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I like the cut of ya jib. But with "Little Willy" and "Call me Dave"........a fuc£ing long time!

3. In the immortal words of Colour Sgt Muir....

• Like Like x 2
  4. I think the DPM might be a bit concerned if we start targeting Spanish citizens like Mrs Clegg (aka Miriam González Durántez)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Can't see the EU helping out on any issue that affects anything British....it never has before.

• Like Like x 4
  6. The Mayor of La Linea tried this a couple of years ago. He was peed off with all the people/money passing through his little town and contributing nothing to the sh1t hole. It actually got as far as installing turnstiles before it was roundly condemned by the EU and others. At least he was only going to charge a fiver!!

If it all kicks off, send me a secret message, as I'm already behind the enemy lines!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Right, when you hear "The bread is being made by the fruitbats" on the radio, you should burst into action.

• Like Like x 7
  8. The Today programme mentioned 10,000 Spanish workers that have jobs in GIB so it would hurt the Spanish locals more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I visited Gib in the late 70s when Spain were not talking to Britain and the border was a closed, passport type. Spanish were actively discouraged from working in Gib so ferries brought in thousands of workers from Tangier. Maybe that could be done again and the Spanish workers given the heave.

• Like Like x 2
  10. **** Tangiers, there's plenty of unemployed Brits here would like a job out there.

11. That's the thanks we get for sinking most of their fleet and driving the filthy soap shy French out of their poxy dustbowl of a country!

• Like Like x 2
  12. MO think the main problem is accommodating them.

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Bollox the main problem is the rates of pay and individual taxation rates. I was head hunted a few years back and their biggest sale was think of the quality of life. After I'd seen the derisory offer and the rates of personal taxation I laughed like a sucking chest wound.

Best thing to do is close the border on the Spanish, and bring in the Moroccans again via ferry so they can do all the cheap work.

And the Spanish Government should remember why they gave us the rock in the first place.

Attached Files:

14. Are Spanish fishing boats still operating in UK waters?

15. The same Morocco that has the two Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla on their coast, a throwback to the days when Spain was carving out it's colonial empire? Not to mention the fact that Catalans and the Basques would quite happily tell Madrid to Knob off and take a large portion of the more lucrative and industrialised parts of the nation with them.

• Like Like x 4