Space tourism

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forces_Sweetheart, Sep 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wonder who will be first to join the 60 mile high club :?: :?: :D 8O :D 8O

2. i would like to go, just have to wait for the price to come down a bit

3. Ohh yes, now its worth buying a lottery ticket :D

4. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3712998.stm

taken a long while to reproduce what the x15 plane did on july 17th 1962

What Burt Rutan has done is impressive considering he did it without goverment backing. But where're still a long from a true space plane, this would have to

*travel at 25 times the speed of sound in order to reach earth orbit
    and
    *fly at 300km

5. A timely revival of a ten year old thread..... but it seems there's a few more problems to be ironed out before the first paying passenger steps on board Virgin Galactic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29857182
    Test pilot dead and the other in a bad way...

This sort of tourism was only ever going to be for the uber-rich anyway but an interesting challenge all the same. Hope it doesn't set it back another ten years.

6. Been there, done that, fleetingly - it's not all it's cracked up to be.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. yeah but you only achieved a fairly low trajectory........ albeit with an element of weightlessness....

8. With the largest prizes come the largest risks.....

This back of a fag packet stuff, trial and error they learn as they go along.

9. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

Just to argue with a ten year old statement, because I'm bored while I wait for my breakfast to cook -

Branson's space plane isn't an orbital vehicle. It simply achieves sufficient altitude to experience weightlessness, floats around for 50 minutes or so and then returns to earth - or blows up. Whichever.

Without trawling the Nasa site for the exact data, the physics of 'orbit' mean that you achieve sufficient velocity as to match the curvature of the earth. So bodies in orbit do indeed fall at the same rate as anything here on earth.

At sea level, you can see I think, 9 miles from your vantage point - 6 feet or so above sea level. So, if you dropped a cannonball from 6 feet, it'd take say, one second to hit the deck. If you were to be able to project the cannonball those 9 miles in that second, then the curvature of the earth would have matched the drop of the ball and you'd have begun to achieve orbit of a sort.

10. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

And well done to SportBilly42 for using the search function.

Award him Jarrod's SPECIAL Priiiiize!
    [​IMG]

11. Show again physics qualification.