Space Station fixed with Black Nasty

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Astronauts tackle leak on space station

The International Space Station sprung a leak so out pops Major Tom and fixes the leak with Harry Black! What a versatile bit of kit.

What is the strangest thing you have fixed/seen fixed using masking tape?

A fairly expensive SLR camera to the underside of BN Islander wing to take photos of parachutists exiting.

Not quite as impressing as plugging holes in a space station, but I thought it voted a lot of faith in Harry Black.

I was in a kayak about 3 miles out to sea got hit by a dopey shark right where the kayak already had a dodgy repair.

So fixed easily with plumbers kevlar putty and then wrapped around with masking tape

Top dressing crop east of Nitra in Slovakia.
Farm workers/ ground staff pissed or idle, neglected to properly walk the strip.
I had just touched down with the bumblebee when an old haybob tine met a mainwheel and exited through the starboard wing with an entry hole you could get your head through.
An hour with a gas soldering iron, a big bag of small tie wraps and a roll of grey nasty and we flew back to the “ hive”at Nitra” for a permenant repair.
Loverly stuff.

I'm just amazed they've got a rape kit on the space station. Is Ms Weaver on board?

Winter deployment to Norway with the AMF. In civvies, put on my desert boots and wondered why my feet were cold and wet. Seems I had worn out the soles and not noticed. Fixed with black nasty and I think a year later I was still wearing them.

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Black nasty..... more like Black gold considering the way the expense store would hand it out. And if you ever did have a whole reel of the stuff, you hoarded it so tightly you'd make Gollum look "Free and easy" with his one ring. Or Smaug contributed to various charities.

Last edited:
Astronauts tackle leak on space station

The International Space Station sprung a leak so out pops Major Tom and fixes the leak with Harry Black! What a versatile bit of kit.

What is the strangest thing you have fixed/seen fixed using masking tape?
It's probably easier for me to list what I haven't sorted with black nasty over the years. But here's some of my bodge-tastic highpoints:

A Chinese copy of a 75mm Recoilless Rifle. One of the made-out-of-cheese tripod legs had snapped, so a couple of lengths of 1" angle iron as splints held in place with half a roll of black nasty was the only way of getting it ready to fire. It worked too. To be honest, not as impressive as using 25m of coiled paracord as a VERY short tow rope to pull a Landy out of a ditch, but hey ho. Also used black nasty and D10 wire to repair the windsock mount on top of the mast at Forkhill in 1988. And a Toyota Landcruiser airfilter. Several SA80s when I didn't have TMH pins, a GPMG heli door mount, a RUBB shelter, oh and an 81mm mortar bipod.

In thirty years, I don't think I ever went anywhere without a roll of black nasty in my bergan.

About five years ago I "temporarily" fixed the door to my workshop with two strips, and one of these days I'm sure I'll get round to doing a more permanent repair job!

The Apollo 13 CO2 scrubber fix. Literally a life saver

Funnily enough, for the last month I’ve been using the Apollo 13 saga as an example of how to solve problems, reintroducing the idea of “Tiger Teams” into my engineering organisation.

Used it to hold the wing mirrors in the appropriate position, on a Series III LR....Not always successfully.