Space Station Evacuation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Mar 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if it was the handbag that the seppo astronaut doris left on top of the shuttle and drove off?
  2. Or anything to do with the North Korean rocket that is due to be blasted out of the sky soon.

Tin foil hats on.
  3. Why didn't they just move the Space Station out of the way? They had to get it up there some how so I'd assume it has engines.
  4. I thought this was about the 19 million dollar space station toilet C/W unisex urine collecting hose....

edit to speel 'bog' properly
  5. Needs a shuttle or ATV attached to do that
  6. Wah...
  7. Well it is Friday the 13TH!
  8. From ITN

Russian Yury Lonchakov and Americans Michael Fincke and Sandra Magnus spent about nine minutes in the Soyuz escape ship before the potentially destructive debris passed by.

Nasa chiefs called the threat to the £720 million space station "minimal" and said the astronauts were only moved into the Soyuz capsule as a precaution.

The debris was a very tiny piece - about 1cm long - of an old payload assist motor that was previously on either a Delta rocket or the space shuttle.

Being in the escape craft would have allowed the astronauts to "quickly depart the station in the unlikely event the debris collided with the station causing a depressurisation.

Warnings of the close encounter came too late for flight controllers to maneuver the station out of the way.

It was not immediately clear how close the debris came to the space station. But NASA officials recalled at least five other times station crews had taken refuge in the Soyuz as a precaution, NASA spokesman Kyle Herring said.

Space junk is considered a threat to the estimated 800 or so commercial and military satellites operating in space and the space station, which has been continuously manned since November 2000. There are more than 18,000 pieces of space debris cataloged.