Space - reinventing the wheel

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by The-Lord-Flasheart, Sep 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. NASA have announced the latest launch vehicle for manned space exploration- the Space Launch System (SLS). An uncanny resemblance to Saturn V/Apollo with a pair of SRBs nailed to the side.

Will be good to see a big feck off rocket launching its way in to proper space as opposed to the frankly dull Shuttles tip-toeing around near Earth orbit. Time for NASA to revert back to crisp white shirts, high and tight crew cuts and give Gene Kranz his job back? I hope so!

More gen here on wiki

and here from NASA

Sls-launching-art.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Apparently this is the way ahead in space travel. It cheaper and easier to build disposable launchers than re-use the shuttle.

The shuttles key draw of fast reuse was never really realised, although it did play a part in skimming more money out of the Soviet budget when they developed Buran to counter the shuttle.

The two 'disasters' were a bit of a p1sser too.

3. From the NASA article
    The SLS will have an initial lift capacity of 70 metric tons. That's more than 154,000 pounds, or 77 tons, roughly the weight of 40 sport utility vehicles. The lift capacity will be evolvable to 130 metric tons -- more than 286,000 pounds, or 143 tons -- enough to lift 75 SUVs. The first developmental flight, or mission, is targeted for the end of 2017.

Fek me that's some sized beast, Gene's missus will have to get the needle and thread out and start knocking up a few more waistcoats

4. They'll need the weight... they want to go to Mars with this thing.

I know its a bit Sci-Fi... but if we want to go galavanting around space, shouldn't we be building some sort of permenant space craft up in orbit? They want to go Mars, but surely with a payload of a mere 70 tons (in this instance it is 'mere') how do we get enough food, air, water and w4nk mags on board for the journey?

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

nice to have a proper escape mechanism rather than a parachute and 'lets hope it doesnt blow up'. as for 'The shuttles key draw of fast reuse was never really realised' - substitute 'never really existed' and you're closer. the Shuttle as the engineers wanted to build it may have stood a chance at getting to that level of usability - the Shuttle after the accountants had got their hands on it never would.

6. I don't think they take any air with them, other than what is naturally inside the vehicle.

7. One way to make it more efficient is to get rid of those 75 sport utility vehicles they'll be carrying!

Funnily enough it was one of Wernher von Brauns untermench who suggested Earth orbit rendezvous as a solution to lunar and deep space travel for Apollo. But good ole Wernher just wanted to build ******* big rockets hence Saturn V. You'd like to hope the ISS is factored in to being a rocket factory for deep space but it just appears to be a place where geeks **** off to grow plants and look at ants having sex in zero G. Arthur C Clarke would be spinning in his grave.

I'm off to watch 'the Right Stuff' and 'From the Earth to the Moon' again :-D

8. Simple. Cut back on the food and water.

It's actually quite nice to see that even with their economy going down the shitter the yanks can still articulate a vision and act on it. That's pretty damned inspiring, IMO, and shows the best of their nation.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Nothing to do with the fact that they were in a race which the USSR appeared to be winning, and that to build a space station in addition to everything else would have added extra complications and obviously time. GBFO rockets were the pragmatic answer, build one big enough to take the minimum payload required to reach the moon and return, and you cut out the need for a staging post.

10. Good point, well spotted!

As a matter of interest (forgetting the space race and that being the massive driver to what was actually achieved on both sides of the curtain), imagine what could have been achieved if the US had collaborated with the USSR? I think we'd all be living on Mars by now :-D

11. Shame we can't fund Skylon the spaceplane son of hotol
    could take off from heathrow and reach the iss with 12 tonnes and do it the next day.

12. Yes but seeing how it was going to be a BAe product, in reality it would have taken off from Heathrow, reached Skegness with 12kgs of sand and never do it again...and cost £236,000,000,000,000,000

• Like Like x 4
  13. At five for one pound at ASDA, I already am.

• Like Like x 4
  14. So they got an old Saturn V, dusted it down. Get a load of shuttle orbiter engines and nail them to the bottom, cable tie a couple spare SRB's to it. Hey Presto, present $17 billion dollar bill to US government.

Sounds familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  15. At last!
    Someone else who saw it!
    It was excellent, I thought