Soviet War Veteran Found Alive In Afghanistan After 33 Years.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ritch, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, not the longest E&E in history. He's been found living under a new name after being taken in by Afghan's after being wounded during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

A Soviet soldier who went missing in Afghanistan nearly 33 years ago has been found living with Afghans in the western province of Herat.
    The soldier is semi-nomadic, has the adopted Afghan name Sheikh Abdullah and practises herbal medicine, Russia's RIA news agency reports.
    An ethnic Uzbek, he was found by ex-Soviet veterans of the war.

BBC News - Soviet war veteran found in Afghanistan after 33 years
  2. Was there not a policy of the Mujahideen to offer Soviet soldiers the 'choice' to either convert or die? I imagine also that there are a fair number of half-breed Afghans, whose mothers are a little reticent about discussing the father.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there's hundreds of them out there. watched a thing a few months back maybe RT where afghansi were going home to see their old families.
  4. It's all the same region. Only just over the border , which is a line on a map, he's probably living with his sister. Hardly like finding an American in the jungles of north Vietnam 33 years later
    • Like Like x 3
  5. From the link: "Sheikh Abdullah bore the scars of his war wounds - a shaking hand and shoulder and nervous tic"

Nothing to do with the industrial strength vodka he had been raised on then?
  6. Grumblegrunt

he could still be going through the DTs if he was raised on kvas
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Boris!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. No wonder he's been keping quiet, his mess bill must be horrendous
    • Like Like x 4
  9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

good luck to him ,
  10. msr

msr LE

11. I don't know, do Uzbeks drink that much?
  12. Grumblegrunt

the stuff I was given - they told me was a rough vodka cleaned by dripping it through burnt bread as a charcoal filter - was cheaper than regular stuff and pretty rank. they did call it kvas though.

probably the local poteen
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Probably not, given the proximity of their border to Afghan. Drugs is probably the weapon of choice - forgive my poor analogy.
  14. Grumblegrunt

distilled fermented milk is the booze of the steppes IIRC
  15. .......or was he just a crap map reader??