Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet Russian Badges...

Hiya Folks hope you can help...

I'm simply after a couple of quality Soviet Hammer & Sickle badges (about 4-5cm) which can attach to our Ushankas, the badges which came with the Ushankas are made from realy thin cheap hybrid metal >>>>

ebay.co.uk/itm/281129085567?ul_noapp=true

So basically as the link above but much better quality.

Hope you can help....?

ugly

LE
What do you think this is the QM’s?
Try google?

I'm simply after a couple of quality Soviet Hammer & Sickle badges (about 4-5cm) which can attach to our Ushankas, the badges which came with the Ushankas are made from realy thin cheap hybrid metal >>>>

Hope you can help....?
@KGB_resident should be able to help.

Been Googling away for past 3 days....They're all either really small like these >>>thesovietrussia.com/soviet-red-star-pin
or made from cheap hybrid metal looking crap as above...
If they're really thin cheap hybrid metal then they're genuine Soviet kit... ;-)
You're confusing China with Russia.

endure

GCM
Been Googling away for past 3 days....They're all either really small like these >>>thesovietrussia.com/soviet-red-star-pin

Back in the 80s when we were in the Baltic we used to get sailors from Soviet merchant ships trying to sell us their standard issue ushankas in exchange for hard currency.

The badges, both officer and crew, were made from cheap and nasty tin.

Strangely enough the actual ushankas were made from genuine sable which cost a fortune in the UK but presumably was common enough in the Soviet Union to be used to make kit for the merchant fleet.

aardvark64

War Hero
That's because the issue ones were small and discreet.

Modern costume ones beloved of certain left-wing politicians are the equivalent of the Ploughman's Lunch. That is, they're a modern invention designed to appeal to peoples' naivety rather than a desire to 'wear what the Russians wore'.

ETA -speel chukker and grandma fetish

Both my RN and RFA beret badges look as cheap and nasty as that. This kit is made by the lowest bidder!

If they're really thin cheap hybrid metal then they're genuine Soviet kit... ;-)

The quality was like they had been pressed from old foil milk bottle tops. In fact most of their kit was shite, even the civvy stuff, from cars, to clothing, and everything in between. Back in the days of BAOR and SOXMIS I had it from a couple of sources that the SOXMIS officers used to regularly clear out the electrical goods from the NAAFI and send them back to mother Russia by the container load - brand name jeans were also very popular, as was whiskey and cigarettes.

Hope you can help....?
There are different forms of respective badges (in Russian it is called as КОКАРДА)
For example (for SovAF and paratroopers officers) it looked this way.
1607226335723.png

1607226442354.png

The same badge was used for USHANKA
1607226903388.png

As I have said there were different forms of badges - for privates and officers, for everyday uniform and so called 'parade uniform'. Navy, army had different types of badges.
Badge for privates was more simple in design.
As a rule now namely badges for officers are being proposed for consumers (collectors).

Thank-you Comrades :) I'm unsure if our Ushankas are real or not. They certainly look 'real' excellent quality and do have what appears to be the genuine Russian stamp. I'm disappointed to hear all large badges on sale are poor quality, but this is what I suspected and after Googling around for past few days. It has paid off though as I have stumbled across this forum which has lots of invaluable information.

Soviet Russia produced some excellent goods and quality was usually paramount. Although some embarrassing designs. Many important lessons about sustainability should have be learned by Soviet Russia, but as they say..." the only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn anything from history...

Latest Threads