Soviet KMLK camo suits in GSFG in early 1980’s

Proff3RTR

War Hero
As @CutLunchCommando said, our comrades with experience of close observation of GSFG already pinged will know for sure. But I would be surprised if it turns out they were in normal use in normal motor-rifle units even there. When I was first introduced to one towards the end of the same decade, they were like hens' teeth and treated as an uber-ally item reserved for Spetsnaz, plus certain fun roles in VDV and Border Guards. (A bit like the way the grizzled ancients of this forum talk about Goretex in 1982.) Granted that was in the Sov itself, and Germany tended to get the best stuff first, but my semi-educated guess would be that line infantry even in GSFG would be severely discouraged from even thinking about trying to get hold of one, let alone actually put it on.
To be honest that was my way of thinking, if anything maybe Corps Recce units or Div Recce units. But will await the GSFG experts reply for the definitive answer.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don’t recall seeing that rig. My time was Dec 1984 for 2 years, so it’s a long time ago. For context I will have taken about 25000 photos. Anything interesting will have been pored over by others further up the chain. I would have gone home for a bath and a beer before heading out again a few days later.

Last edited:
Ok cool, but does anyone have an answer to my original Q? When did these hairy arresed nasty commies start wearing the KMLK camo suit in Germany, and was it if worn in Germany restricted to only Motor Rifle troops or did any fcuker wear it?
replied to your message...Yes...anti-Mission teams were wearing 'em in 1980 onwards, The Stasi used to wear a similar suit.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I don’t recall seeing that rig. My time was Dec 1984 for 2 years, so it’s a long time ago. For context I will have taken about 25000 photos. Anything interesting will have been pored over by others further up the chain. I would have gone home for a bath and a beer before heading out again a few days later.
Nice, mine was 88 till 2001 when I was posted back to the UK.

That is not a problem, I only just noticed the Moisin had no optic, I would as said already suggest range, but again, no optic.
The down turned bolt suggests it is a sniper variant rather than standard rifle and looking at the left side of the receiver it does appear to have a rail for a scope to be fitted and removed.

Edit to add. possibly a PU scope.
maxresdefault.jpg

I am doing some early 80 russkies at the moment and some are going to be in that camo. Looking it up it was invented late 60s and started being issued from 1975.

Used to be seen a lot, around Neustrelitz,the Rheinsberg Gap and...Cottbus...anywhere else would have merited investigation.

I must have been good at hiding.
We watched one for about 40 minutes in a wood near Wustrow (in the Gap),carrying an SVD. He came from the right,about 100mtrs away,we were in a car behind some greenery. Photos were taken (without a Motordrive),we watched,finished our coffee,started the car and, drove right past him. He was looking rather sheepish but,responded to the "hello" from the Tour Officer with a wave. ;-)

As @CutLunchCommando said, our comrades with experience of close observation of GSFG already pinged will know for sure. But I would be surprised if it turns out they were in normal use in normal motor-rifle units even there. When I was first introduced to one towards the end of the same decade, they were like hens' teeth and treated as an uber-ally item reserved for Spetsnaz, plus certain fun roles in VDV and Border Guards. (A bit like the way the grizzled ancients of this forum talk about Goretex in 1982.) Granted that was in the Sov itself, and Germany tended to get the best stuff first, but my semi-educated guess would be that line infantry even in GSFG would be severely discouraged from even thinking about trying to get hold of one, let alone actually put it on.

I thought the green/black suit was for the Recce units including the Regt and Div recce company and battalions.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
We watched one for about 40 minutes in a wood near Wustrow (in the Gap),carrying an SVD. He came from the right,about 100mtrs away,we were in a car behind some greenery. Photos were taken (without a Motordrive),we watched,finished our coffee,started the car and, drove right past him. He was looking rather sheepish but,responded to the "hello" from the Tour Officer with a wave. ;-)
In 1986 I furtled in to a SA-4 replen exercise NW of Brandenburg. The guys on the outer cordon had gone blackberry picking about 25m away. I waved and one of them saluted.

The inner cordon sentry was asleep and we almost ran over him. The sleeping sentry is about 10m in front of me here:

1633522382904.jpeg

GSFG Anti-Mission Ambush Team,sorry B&W...1983
2nd Right,front row...Sov,3 on right Stasi.
Anti Mission.jpg

Attachments

• Anti Mission.jpg
    Anti Mission.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Presumably these teams were mainly deployed against Air Tours, what with them having limited options for OPs, ie one end of the runway or the other.
Everybody was fair game but, you're right.

I had 2 encounters with them in the 70's...At Finsterwalde,when I found out that an Opel Admiral in reverse,could out-drag both a Gaz 69 and, A Volga saloon. We had to creep back later as,the Flt Lt had left his jacket hung on a tree...done on the run ! ;-)

Second time was a Ground tour,East of Berlin. Tasked as a 'Mapper',we were looking for a new nuclear facility being built, just inside Border PRA. It was supposedly "one way in and one way out".we had 8 different vehicles (VRN's noted) on us for about 90 minutes and, I managed to get the car over a railway line and away. As we left we picked up a VoPo and, a Polski Fiat, turned in to a wood and, took 'em down a firebreak. Came to a cross track,stopped on it, the VoPo had to stop or he would have parked on the towing hook,Nark behind had to stopped. I feigned rolling back, the VoPo tried to reverse on the soft sand,dug himself in,put the Admiral into drive and away we pootled, back to 'mapping'. ;-)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Everybody was fair game but, you're right.

I had 2 encounters with them in the 70's...At Finsterwalde,when I found out that an Opel Admiral in reverse,could out-drag both a Gaz 69 and, A Volga saloon. We had to creep back later as,the Flt Lt had left his jacket hung on a tree...done on the run ! ;-)

Second time was a Ground tour,East of Berlin. Tasked as a 'Mapper',we were looking for a new nuclear facility being built, just inside Border PRA. It was supposedly "one way in and one way out".we had 8 different vehicles (VRN's noted) on us for about 90 minutes and, I managed to get the car over a railway line and away. As we left we picked up a VoPo and, a Polski Fiat, turned in to a wood and, took 'em down a firebreak. Came to a cross track,stopped on it, the VoPo had to stop or he would have parked on the towing hook,Nark behind had to stopped. I feigned rolling back, the VoPo tried to reverse on the soft sand,dug himself in,put the Admiral into drive and away we pootled, back to 'mapping'. ;-)

My Flt Lt one day did literally lose his shirt. He'd been sun-bathing over lunch and left it on the roof of the wagon. Never to be seen again.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The down turned bolt suggests it is a sniper variant rather than standard rifle and looking at the left side of the receiver it does appear to have a rail for a scope to be fitted and removed.

Edit to add. possibly a PU scope.
maxresdefault.jpg

I am doing some early 80 russkies at the moment and some are going to be in that camo. Looking it up it was invented late 60s and started being issued from 1975.
Yep, defo sniper variant but no scope as we know. Yep an old bit of kit but apart from airborne etc I could find no president for the wearing by normal Motor Rifle troops.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I must admit it came as a surprise to see that pic, I always thought soviet sniper 1980s=SVD.
I suppose they had one just knocking around, the Moisin is a very accurate sniper rifle, nothing compared to today’s offerings, but for 1980’s era, still very good, same effective range as an SVD(800 meters) they both fire a 7.62x54mmR round, also when it came out the SVD was an exceptional rifle for it’s time. I have held one, but never fired one, have fired a Moisin and it was smooth, iron sights only though. Would be interested to see the thoughts of any arrsers who are sniper qualified as to their thoughts/impressions.

ugly

LE
I suppose they had one just knocking around, the Moisin is a very accurate sniper rifle, nothing compared to today’s offerings, but for 1980’s era, still very good, same effective range as an SVD(800 meters) they both fire a 7.62x54mmR round, also when it came out the SVD was an exceptional rifle for it’s time. I have held one, but never fired one, have fired a Moisin and it was smooth, iron sights only though. Would be interested to see the thoughts of any arrsers who are sniper qualified as to their thoughts/impressions.
The moisin even when fitted with PU scopes are pretty crap to be honest

Proff3RTR

War Hero
But considering it is a very old bit of kit, not bad when looked at in that light, clearly nothing like an SVD but maybe they had shortages or kit was damaged and had to make do and mend in Afghan? Dated or no, still looks alley as F.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
And thanks for the insight, how crap are we talking here? When compared to say the SVD.

Latest Threads