Soviet KMLK camo suits in GSFG in early 1980’s

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Hi all,

Am trying to find out if/when did the Soviets start issuing/using KMLK camo suits for Motor Rifle infantry units based in Germany during the early to mid 1980’s, any help greatly appreciated.

Don't know about Germany, sorry. I do know the pattern was used extensively by certain troops in the Afghan campaign from early 1980s on. These were one-piece coveralls rather than the two-piece sets issued to the KGB Spetsnaz.

These reprobates are elite airborne troops, paratroopers, judging from the blue and white singlets under their unforms.

MZjqQ2D.png

ETA: picture link was mangled.

Don't know about Germany, sorry. I do know the pattern was used extensively by certain troops in the Afghan campaign from early 1980s on. These were one-piece coveralls rather than the two-piece sets issued to the KGB Spetsnaz.

These reprobates are elite airborne troops, paratroopers, judging from the blue and white singlets under their unforms.

MZjqQ2D.png

That looks like one of those fashion shoots from GQ.

Why have they got a bolt action weapon?

Proff3RTR

War Hero

MZjqQ2D.png

That’s a good phot,

I knew that airborne units were issued them for Afghan in early 80, I have asked a few others but if no answer I think I will work on the assumption that they ‘may’ of wore it in GSFG, and go with that for my project.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Would that not be fitted with an optic then?

Apologies for drifting your thread @Proff3RTR .
That is not a problem, I only just noticed the Moisin had no optic, I would as said already suggest range, but again, no optic.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Would that not be fitted with an optic then?

Apologies for drifting your thread @Proff3RTR .
Not necessarily. It’s still got more reach than an AK and a good shot will still kill at distance.

My father started his career on the Lee Enfield and by all accounts what a good battalion shot could achieve with it even without optics would probably astound many modern soldiers.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Not necessarily. It’s still got more reach than an AK and a good shot will still kill at distance.

My father started his career on the Lee Enfield and by all accounts what a good battalion shot could achieve with it even without optics would probably astound many modern soldiers.

The AK-74 armed chimp has the same max range as the moisin (500 meters), however, I would not want to try to hit anything with it at that range and would happily swap it for the Moisin, just weird that there is no sight on it, would increase its range at least another 300+ meters with a good chance of a kill shot at that range as well

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The AK-74 armed chimp has the same max range as the moisin (500 meters), however, I would not want to try to hit anything with it at that range and would happily swap it for the Moisin, just weird that there is no sight on it, would increase its range at least another 200 meters with a gaols chance of a kill shot at that range as well

Sorry, add on, the AK-47 armed geezer had a max range of 300.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Haha, ISWYDT
If you watch slo-mo videos of AKs firing, it’s amazing how much the barrels flex. A traditional rifle is rather different. The Mosin, like the Lee Enfield, has a long barrel encased almost to the end in wood. It’s going nowhere.

As an aside, Simo Häyhä, the most successful sniper ever, used iron sights as he felt he had to lift his head and expose himself too much with a scope.

Zhopa

LE

MZjqQ2D.png

The rest of the set, with a few more thought-provoking shots, is here:

The 1982 in the title is misleading - that's the date they passed out (it's a military academy reunion site).

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The rest of the set, with a few more thought-provoking shots, is here:

The 1982 in the title is misleading - that's the date they passed out (it's a military academy reunion site).
Ok cool, but does anyone have an answer to my original Q? When did these hairy arresed nasty commies start wearing the KMLK camo suit in Germany, and was it if worn in Germany restricted to only Motor Rifle troops or did any fcuker wear it?

Ok cool, but does anyone have an answer to my original Q? When did these hairy arresed nasty commies start wearing the KMLK camo suit in Germany, and was it if worn in Germany restricted to only Motor Rifle troops or did any fcuker wear it?
Have you had anything from @Brotherton Lad or @RoofRat yet? They are probably your best bet.

Zhopa

LE
I knew that airborne units were issued them for Afghan in early 80, I have asked a few others but if no answer I think I will work on the assumption that they ‘may’ of wore it in GSFG, and go with that for my project.

As @CutLunchCommando said, our comrades with experience of close observation of GSFG already pinged will know for sure. But I would be surprised if it turns out they were in normal use in normal motor-rifle units even there. When I was first introduced to one towards the end of the same decade, they were like hens' teeth and treated as an uber-ally item reserved for Spetsnaz, plus certain fun roles in VDV and Border Guards. (A bit like the way the grizzled ancients of this forum talk about Goretex in 1982.) Granted that was in the Sov itself, and Germany tended to get the best stuff first, but my semi-educated guess would be that line infantry even in GSFG would be severely discouraged from even thinking about trying to get hold of one, let alone actually put it on.

Latest Threads