Sovereigns Parade - Adj - Horse - Steps - Question?

#1
Afternoon Chaps,

Can any one give me details on the Grey Charger climbing the steps at Sandhurst after the Sovereigns Parade, carrying the Adj. (Why, reasons, etc, etc).

Regards,

ME
 
#2
The story goes that the adjutant at the time was so disgusted with the poor turn out of the cadets that he rode off the parade up the steps (presumably it was the only way not barred by the cadets). The adjutant was called Browning, later General 'Boy' Browning who commanded the airborne forces at Arnhem.
 
#3
I agree with Lt Gen Browning being the person who started the tradition, but I was told is was because he was a very vain man (he designed his own uniform when Comd Airborne Forces) and he rode up the steps (galloped possibly) as it had started to rain and he did not wish his uniform to be ruined by the rain.
 
#4
woksmuggler said:
I agree with Lt Gen Browning being the person who started the tradition, but I was told is was because he was a very vain man (he designed his own uniform when Comd Airborne Forces) and he rode up the steps (galloped possibly) as it had started to rain and he did not wish his uniform to be ruined by the rain.
Correct. [spotter]14 July 1926 and the horse's name was Vicar.[/spotter]
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#6
As it happens, when I was at Sandhurst a member of the Gurkha Demo Company was caught shagging the Academy Adjutant's charger. It certainly cheered us all up on Sovereign's Parade a few weeks later.
 
#10
cpunk said:
As it happens, when I was at Sandhurst a member of the Gurkha Demo Company was caught shagging the Academy Adjutant's charger. It certainly cheered us all up on Sovereign's Parade a few weeks later.

Either we were on the same parade or it happened more than once.

Which is more likely?

The horse was called Alexander (don't think that's breaching OPSEC), rather appropriate really.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#11
Fred_Cat said:
cpunk said:
As it happens, when I was at Sandhurst a member of the Gurkha Demo Company was caught shagging the Academy Adjutant's charger. It certainly cheered us all up on Sovereign's Parade a few weeks later.

Either we were on the same parade or it happened more than once.

Which is more likely?

The horse was called Alexander (don't think that's breaching OPSEC), rather appropriate really.
SGC 853?
 
#13
I definitely remember being thoroughly informed that all Academy Adjutants steads are Chargers and not horses...can't see the difference myself. Bloomin' large though.
 
#15
django_strikes said:
I definitely remember being thoroughly informed that all Academy Adjutants steads are Chargers and not horses...can't see the difference myself. Bloomin' large though.
[spotter]Vicar belonged to Boy Browning so it wouldn't have been a charger, probably a hunter[/spotter] you are correct that Adjutants at RMAS ride Chargers.
 
#16
Litotes said:
The bloody apostrophe has gone AWOL again - and no-one noticed.

Standards, Gentlemen, standards!

Litotes
So has the 't' from Adjt. Oh well.

msr
 
#17
cpunk said:
Fred_Cat said:
cpunk said:
As it happens, when I was at Sandhurst a member of the Gurkha Demo Company was caught shagging the Academy Adjutant's charger. It certainly cheered us all up on Sovereign's Parade a few weeks later.

Either we were on the same parade or it happened more than once.

Which is more likely?

The horse was called Alexander (don't think that's breaching OPSEC), rather appropriate really.
SGC 853?
851 - so possibly the same if you were in junior div at the time or equine sloppy seconds!
 
#18
Gentlemen,

May I ask a question re the Sovereign's Parade from across the pond?

I've read on another thread in the Officer's blog that there are three graduation parades at Sandhurst each year. Are these all Sovereign's Parades or is the SP something completely different from a graduation?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere else.

Thanks,
Dan.
 
#19
Oooh - tricky. The Sovereign's Parade is specifically for those that are commissioning. When I was there the other 2 intakes also took part, but one of the rumours since I left is that they don't do much drill any more and no rifle drill. Probably exaggerated.

So 3 Commissioning Parades a year, more correctly called Sovereign's Parade. If the Sovereign cannot attend, she sends a representative, either from the Royal Household or an Officer of General Rank.
 
#20
There are three Sovereign's Parades each year - Dec, Apr and Aug. There has been something of a course resuffle in recent years, the most visible result of which is that the Junior intake no longer participate in the Parade. Those of the juniors who have not already departed for adv trg will watch from the stands. The senior division, as before, carry swords, and the junior division (Intermediates) have rifles. Those who remember the larger parades will find it a little diminished, but it is still a pretty good spectacle.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top