Sovereigns Parade - Adj - Horse - Steps - Question?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Lt_Gen_Me, Aug 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon Chaps,

Can any one give me details on the Grey Charger climbing the steps at Sandhurst after the Sovereigns Parade, carrying the Adj. (Why, reasons, etc, etc).

2. The story goes that the adjutant at the time was so disgusted with the poor turn out of the cadets that he rode off the parade up the steps (presumably it was the only way not barred by the cadets). The adjutant was called Browning, later General 'Boy' Browning who commanded the airborne forces at Arnhem.
  3. I agree with Lt Gen Browning being the person who started the tradition, but I was told is was because he was a very vain man (he designed his own uniform when Comd Airborne Forces) and he rode up the steps (galloped possibly) as it had started to rain and he did not wish his uniform to be ruined by the rain.
  4. Correct. [spotter]14 July 1926 and the horse's name was Vicar.[/spotter]
  5. Wel Well!
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

As it happens, when I was at Sandhurst a member of the Gurkha Demo Company was caught shagging the Academy Adjutant's charger. It certainly cheered us all up on Sovereign's Parade a few weeks later.
  7. A Gurkha shagging a charger? What was he on - stilts?!

(Mental picture slowly forming...)
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

A stool. I'm not joking. :D
  9. I don't know the history, but they make an awful mess in the corridor of Old College when they occassionally "let go"...

10. Either we were on the same parade or it happened more than once.

Which is more likely?

The horse was called Alexander (don't think that's breaching OPSEC), rather appropriate really.
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

SGC 853?
  12. The bloody apostrophe has gone AWOL again - and no-one noticed.

Standards, Gentlemen, standards!

13. I definitely remember being thoroughly informed that all Academy Adjutants steads are Chargers and not horses...can't see the difference myself. Bloomin' large though.
  14. It appears to have migrated to the "SITEGUARD'S" thread.
  15. [spotter]Vicar belonged to Boy Browning so it wouldn't have been a charger, probably a hunter[/spotter] you are correct that Adjutants at RMAS ride Chargers.