Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Sovereign 2000 1/35 Scale Austin K5

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
140206-10244-pristine.jpg
austin_k5_3ton-72912.jpg

1/35 scale Austin K5 Heavy, General Service Truck

The Austin K5 was a British heavy military truck built by Austin for use during the Second World War.
The K5 was used with open body and cab for carrying the Ordnance QF 6 pounder anti-tank gun portee in the North African Campaign or with an enclosed cab for General Service (GS). Enclosed body versions were used for salvage and rescue work in the UK.
It was nicknamed the "Screamer" because of a rather noisy transfer case.

Austin K5 general cargo lorry

Type. Military truck. Place of origin. United Kingdom

Manufacturer. Austin. Produced. 1941-1945 No. built. 12,280

Specifications
Mass. 6.7 tonnes. Length. 19 ft 8 inches (5.99 m). Width. 7 ft 3 inch (2.21 m)
Height. 9 ft 11 in (3.02 m). Armour. None. Engine. Austin 6-cylinder, 3995 cc petrol 85 hp
Payload capacity 3 tons. Suspension. Wheel, 4 × 4

SOVEREIGN 2000, 1/35 scale Austin K5 (reviewed on ARRSE September 2018)

As it says above, this model was reviewed by yours truly in September 2018. Having started the model, I have to say there are one of two strange omissions. If you build the kit as per the instructions, you will come to a full stop when it comes to fitting the cab. What the instructions do not tell you is the front of the cab (part #3) needs a cut out in the lower middle section to allow the cab to fit over the engine. This is the same for part #2, the cab floor. A cut out needs to be made between the two cab seats. This will allow the engine tunnel cover (part #17) to fit over the engine correctly. The cylinder head on top of the engine (part #18) will also need to be removed before assembly otherwise part #17 will not fit!
IMG_20200914_173652.jpg

The top of the gear box on part #18 needs to be cut flush with the chassis to allow the cab floor to fit correctly. Once the cab has been fitted, you will notice quite a gap between the cab rear (part #4) and the cab floor (part #2). This will need to be filled with your filler of choice. The fuel tanks were each fitted with a 3mm square tube at each of the tank mounting points. This is to ensure the tanks sit right and gives a better representation of the difficulties that existed when filling the tanks.
IMG_20200914_173303.jpg

The brush-bar on the front of the truck is a late model version; made from plastic card and plastic rod. The earlier version was a one-piece abortion of stretched and bent steel tube.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I got one of those and a Scammell Wrecker. Watch my tracer.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thats must be in civvy hands and must have been left to stand in a field for four years in the elements to look like that.

The weathering ruins it if you ask me
100% right Si. Nice kit, far too much weathering. These things were meant to be work horses of the Artillery and as such, were kept in top notch condition. I can imagine a BSM going totally ape-poo over the state of it. The Tiffy wouldn't be too impressed either!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Thats must be in civvy hands and must have been left to stand in a field for four years in the elements to look like that.

The weathering ruins it if you ask me
A point I made on the main modelling thread about your mate’s AFVs. You can see he’s served as he nails it on the weathering front. ‘Art house’ weathering ruins many scale renditions. It’s a real shame because the same effort put into accuracy would give us some absolute gems.

A point I made on the main modelling thread about your mate’s AFVs. You can see he’s served as he nails it on the weathering front. ‘Art house’ weathering ruins many scale renditions. It’s a real shame because the same effort put into accuracy would give us some absolute gems.

Totally.

100% right Si. Nice kit, far too much weathering. These things were meant to be work horses of the Artillery and as such, were kept in top notch condition. I can imagine a BSM going totally ape-poo over the state of it. The Tiffy wouldn't be too impressed either!

Life would not be worth living.

Someone needs to get onto the modelling threads and tell them about field workshops. Mate of mine is an ex VM and his workshop was on GW1 and they were busy lads throughout. Field workshops are not a new concept - apart from in the modelling world.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back to the build!

Spent a couple of hours on the Austin K5 this evening. First job was fixing the steering column and wheel. I've picked out the dashboard in Matt black and will fettle the bezels tomorrow. I have some decals for it somewhere, but no rush yet. I've made a start on the spare wheel mechanism, which is a little different to any of the other vehicle makes I've done. It doesn't help being made with resin which is considerably brittle!

I sprayed most parts with Halford's auto primer this morning and this evening, sprayed the chassis with Vallejo Gun-Metal Grey. The fuel tanks and storage units have had a base coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow.

IMG_20200915_220610.jpg

The cab has been given two costs of Vallejo Sky-Blue Grey. The bucket seats have been hand-painted using Vallejo Light Earth followed by a dry brushing of light ochre. The gear stick was fashioned from a dressmaker's pin with a knob made of milliput. The handbrake, gear stick and pedals were all painted with gun-metal grey followed by gloss black. The black masks on the windscreen are for when I add "dust" to the vehicle to give the impression that the wipers have been used to keep the screen clean.
IMG_20200915_220553.jpg

The exhaust and silencer will be given a coat of burnt umber followed by a dry brushing of Vallejo Rust. I usually leave that job until last, often while in the middle of dry-brushing the rest of the truck.
IMG_20200915_220521.jpg

As seen from the photos, I've assembled the box body. Nothing too spectacular! It's been sprayed in primer and then given it's base coat of Tamiya Dark yellow.

That's it for this evening. No chance of doing anything tomorrow as I'm working until 2100. I'm off on Thursday, so will hopefully put a few more hours in.

Smeggers Out.

big_bad_bill

Old-Salt
Totally.

Life would not be worth living.

Someone needs to get onto the modelling threads and tell them about field workshops. Mate of mine is an ex VM and his workshop was on GW1 and they were busy lads throughout. Field workshops are not a new concept - apart from in the modelling world.

Agreed. Weathering should be like make-up. If you notice it, it's too much.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a good session with the Austin today. Have the whole vehicle a light spray with Vallejo deck tan, and then once that was dry, started building the hoops for a canvas tilt. The kit manufactures recommend using wire for this, I however, used 1/16th plastic rod. This actually works better, especially when using a former as I did. I was able to form the three hoops in one hit. The lengthwise rods are all the same size but the two nearest the centre line need bending in towards the centre. After checking the scale plans I have, the centre point of the two inner rods is 9mm from the centre, with the wider ends 15mm from the centre line. The remaining rods are spaced 10mm apart.
IMG_20200921_202208.jpg

IMG_20200921_202226.jpg
Wheels have been finished in Tamiya Tyre Black, with a light brushing over the treads with Vallejo Dark Grey. Once dry, The whole vehicle was then given several washes starting with Payne's Lamp Black and Artist's Burnt Umber. The wheels were washed with Vallejo Deck Tan. At this stage, I removed the windscreen masks and added the wipers from thin rod, flattened on one side. The inside of the wipers was painted Tyre Black while the tops were painted in Deck Tan.
IMG_20200921_222109.jpg

The canvas tilt was painted in Vallejo Khaki followed by washes of Lamp Black, Burnt Sienna and Deck Tan.
I wanted to portray a vehicle that had seen some hard usage in the Western Desert, and hopefully have achieved that aim.
IMG_20200921_222140.jpg

IMG_20200921_222150.jpg

IMG_20200921_222128.jpg

I'll add on a few decals tomorrow and drybrush a few areas with steel, other than that, it's done.
I've no immediate plans to use it in a diorama, so it's another one for the shelf.
Bugger, just remembered! It's a desertised vehicle and therefore should have a couple of sand-channels attached. I'll get on that straight away.

Smeggers out.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Corrected a few mistakes and errors. I think the finished result looks pretty good. I have given the truck an Ordnance unit markings attached to the HQ of the Armoured brigade of 7th Armoured Division.
IMG_20200922_181811.jpg

IMG_20200922_181824.jpg
IMG_20200922_181849.jpg
IMG_20200922_181908.jpg

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ordnance markings are vertical red/ blue/red.
I'm glad you noticed that, I wondered if anyone would! I put the front one on correctly, got called to the phone, when I came back, I lost track of what I was doing and rotated the decal. I shall rectify the problem immediately. At my age, I think I'm entitled to the odd brain-fart.

Latest Threads