Southwick Park

The current lord of the manor in Southwick is a chap called Thistlethwaite. He inherited the land when his aunt (great-aunt?) died and has varied business interests, including a solar farm north of Southwick.
He also owns lots of land in south Hampshire. For those that know the area, much of the new building to the west of Waterlooville is his, and the new town to the north of Fareham is on his land.
As pointed out above, the Southwick estate has to be returned status quo ante bellum, and will be expensive. As some one who has never lived there, he ain’t that bothered. MOD Southwick Park could be secure for a wee while.

The SP rumour closure has been doing the rounds since I last visited 2 years ago & well beyond that, talks of if the consecutive CO’s can justify its existence (running costs & investment) it’ll be allowed to remain open. Although that could be utter tosh.

I’ve still got contacts there & I’m returning soon so likely to get yet another update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green_Homer

War Hero
I keep hearing on and off that the MOD police training school is / isn't going to be moving from Wethersfield in Essex to Southwick Park [emoji2369]

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep hearing on and off that the MOD police training school is / isn't going to be moving from Wethersfield in Essex to Southwick Park [emoji2369]

These days I look at the surrounding territory when it comes to building a big town, sorry development.
Having been to your place, and knowing that Mr Southwick can (and will) milk it, I could believe that rumour.
You will love it here. What about the CNC?

At the same time, British Transport Police, County RPU and Highways Traffic Officers merging to form a national motorway force.

Green_Homer

War Hero
Think the merger talks seem to be on the back burner currently. Certainly there's 'cooperation' going on apparently but that's far above my pay grade..

To be honest anywhere will be better than Wethersfield!

A06E661E5C25B98952D6E7C329C65971F7B89961

Think the merger talks seem to be on the back burner currently. Certainly there's 'cooperation' going on apparently but that's far above my pay grade..

To be honest anywhere will be better than Wethersfield!

Our boss said we weren't going to be drawn into it, the big bosses were panicking as the merger only wanted traffic officers and vehicles, control centres and operators, and team managers. Everything above that grade would be discarded.

A fair few of the stately homes, Scottish baronial castles, manor houses etc that were taken over for army use during WW2 were fit for nothing but demolition by the time they were handed back.

Give the army anything at all and they'll find a way of breaking it. The RAF and navy had a better record of looking after things.
Demolition was also prompted by punitive death duties and estate taxes imposed by the post war Labour government.

Alamo

LE
Can anyone show definitively where the MOD is obliged to restore any site to its previous owner in its previous condition when being disposed of? To the best of my knowledge this is one of the most enduring urban myths in the military. We have an obligation to ensure they are safe and environmental hazards addressed, but not restore stately homes.

Crichel Down rules apply and the MOD may be required to offer it to the previous owner at the current market rate, but not how it was in 1939 or whatever.

Last edited:
Can anyone show definitively where the MOD is obliged to restore any site to its previous owner in its previous condition when being disposed of? To the best of my knowledge this is one of the most enduring urban myths in the military. We have an obligation to ensure they are safe and environment hazards addressed, but not restore stately homes.

Crichel Down rules apply and the MOD may be required to offer it to the previous owner at current market rate, but not how it was in 1939 or whatever.

There was a rambling old place up in the highlands of Scotland (one of the many used for training by the SOE and Combined Ops during WW2). When they took it over, they removed a lot of antique furniture to be put into storage. On the day of the removal, there had been much rain and the burns were in full spate. They used items of furniture to get the vehicles across.

The Nazis themselves would have been impressed.

Last edited:
Can anyone show definitively where the MOD is obliged to restore any site to its previous owner in its previous condition when being disposed of? To the best of my knowledge this is one of the most enduring urban myths in the military. We have an obligation to ensure they are safe and environmental hazards addressed, but not restore stately homes.

Crichel Down rules apply and the MOD may be required to offer it to the previous owner at the current market rate, but not how it was in 1939 or whatever.

Noting I came bottom of my university law course, 10 minutes of furious googling suggests the following:

Inherent in the word ‘reinstatement’ in the context of Rule (5) is the concept of continuity and what has to be reinstated is some substantial aspect of the purpose to which the land to be acquired is devoted so as to identify the old with the new.

The Tribunal in the Kidderminster Theatre case stated ‘To my mind the emphasis is on the purpose to which the land has been devoted and its continuance rather than the ownership by any particular person’.

To me, that sounds like the 'reinstatement' in Southwick Park would be to reinstate the grounds of the house to the state they were at (i.e. not covered in horrible 60s and 70s buildings) and return the house to the state it was in (i.e. not with the added accommodation blocks). But I could be entirely and utterly wrong.

Perhaps @dingerr or our other learned members would wish to comment.

Latest Threads