Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by JohnJorrocksMFH, Aug 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How have any of you left-handed / left master eye types got on with learning to shoot the SA80 right-handed? Or is it actually possible to fire it left-handed?

2. No WAH

Now you have got to be kidding me!!!!

Its bone questions like this that make the TA look stupid!

Have a look at other post regarding this.

yes it can be fired left handed but you'll end up with a nice dental bill and a mouth like a naffi piano.

I know some left handers have to use a patch to stop the left eye from taking over.
  3. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  4. Most folk(99%) adapted quite easily to the change.
  5. Jeez, was it that dumb a question? If so, please accept grovelling apologies. I haven't seen an SA80 up close and on the only s/a rifles I've used the port was far enough ahead of my vizog not to be a problem (Obviously they weren't bullpup designs).

In my defence, have you tried shooting accurately with 'wrong' shoulder / eye? It's bloody horrible!
  6. It wasn't a stupid question, but people get very snotty about people asking the same questions over and over again. To be honest, I think it's a bit ridiculous. The search function isn't exactly the most efficient thing in the world, it can be difficult to find whether something has come up before. No, you can't fire the SA80 lefty.
  7. Apologies if it sounded snotty.

It all depends on how you've been trained.

If you're starting from scratch then you'll only have the mild discomfort while you get used to it, the more you practice the more natural it becomes.

I've seen lefties have initial problems with eyes more than anything, the unnatural bias to the right side initially gets them, they find it hard to keep the left eye shut, saying that when I shoot my left eye is not closed all the time.

But it soon becomes natural for them, all depends on how long you have on the ranges.

Unfortunatly its a bit of practice makes perfect I'm afraid.

I feel for you as i'm right handed so its not a problem :D

Saying that tried firing the L96 left handed, ITS NOT NORMAL!!! work of the devil
  8. I just added my last question as an aside.

Stupid of me not to do a search first though, sorry.

I was primarily interested to find out how easy people who are left -handed AND had a left master eye found it to relearn to shoot righty.

Probably not quite so hard for someone who's never shot before, but what's it like for an experienced shot trying to unlearn many years of ingrained lefty shooting?
  9. Didn't really have a problem with it to be honest. Marksmanship principles are the same, right or left handed.
  10. Waitout,

My reply crossed with yours! Wrong-handed is horrendous at first, eh? One looks/feels like someone in a bad film pretending to shoot!
  11. I fecking hate it.

It feels like throwing a ball with the wrong hand ie girl style. And just when you get the hang of it (which has taken me 13 years), it then totally fecks up my left handed shotgun shooting.

Some (most?) seem to master it quite well - but I reckon they have not done a lot of left handed shooting before.
  12. You may have to ask a lefty.

I know when the SA80 came in initially people had problems coverting over from SLR, change in fire position etc.

But watching a programme years ago about the FIST system which had you firing the weapon without looking through the sight, the guys testing had a right nightmare getting used to it. But someone coming in new to the system would have no problem.

Its all about what your learn with i suppose
  13. im a lefty...and my left eye is also the dominant eye. Im currently doing basic atm, and at first i did have alot of trouble getting the feel of using right handed, but now it feels pretty natural....will see what my actual shooting is like on my cmsr course in a few weeks :)