Southern Poofs

How do you define a foreigner? If someone gets says UK citizenship, will he/she still be a foreigner in the eyes of a local?
Rule of thumb, around here you have to have lived 25 years to be considered integrated, any thing less and your new to the area.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Rule of thumb, around here you have to have lived 25 years to be considered integrated, any thing less and your new to the area.
It's generational around here. Two generations at least before you are considered "yin o' oou"

Years ago I was camping in the Trough of Bowland and was having a very happy time in the pub in Slaidburn. One of the locals I was chatting to referred to another as a 'bloody incomer'. I asked him how long the 'incomer' had been in the area.
"Oh, his family settled here after the war" he say's
"Which one, WW1 or WW2" I innocently ask.
"The Civil war"

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
How do you define a foreigner? If someone gets says UK citizenship, will he/she still be a foreigner in the eyes of a local?
It would seem you have not done a lot of moving between small villages/towns in UK.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The following clip is from a 1885 Punch magazine.
'Two ancient fellows were digging a ditch alongside the parish road, A horseman passes by plodding slowly up the road. "Who's 'im on the 'orse Burt" "Oh he's from yonder parish, normally on parish business." Alf thinks for a moment then says. "Heave half a brick at 'im Burt!"
Nothing changes!

It's generational around here. Two generations at least before you are considered "yin o' oou"
I had a weird thing in both Blair Atholl and Hawick, where upon finding my surname, the person asking said I belonged there and should have said, despite the fact some of my ancestors left Old Blair in the 1700s before Blair Atholl was built and some of them were Hugenots, and I AFAIK have nothing to do with the Borders.