South Wales soldier accused of killing fireman

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fingers_1661, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend drew my attention to this today...

A SOUTH Wales soldier has been accused of killing a fireman in Coventry.
    Shane Walford, aged 33, also known as Shane Junior, appeared at Coventry Magistrates’ Court charged with the murder of Paul Gibbons.
    He is a serving paratrooper stationed at St Athan in the Vale of Glamorgan.
    Father-of-two Mr Gibbons was celebrating his 41st birthday on Sunday night at Millsy’s Cafe Bar, in Earlsdon, when he was hit.
    Sarah Melo, prosecuting, told the court: “On the evening of Sunday, October 25, Paul Gibbons, a 41-year-old firefighter, was celebrating his 41st birthday with his wife and friends.
    “At about 11pm Shane Walford, a 33-year-old serving in the British Army, entered the bar, approached Mr Gibbons and punched him in the face,
    “Mr Gibbons fell to the floor and unfortunately, as a result of his injuries, died the following morning in hospital.”
    Walford, a former professional boxer, was remanded in custory and will appear at Warwick Crown Court on November 3.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/10/30/south-wales-soldier-accused-of-killing-fireman-91466-25052806

I'll keep my comments short for fear of causing offence but I can't help wondering whether PTSD/Operational fatigue had anything to do with this...& whether the MOD will accept culpability/look after the accused <if the answer is YES>or simply throw him to the wolves.

2. or maybe just drink, aggression and bad luck?