South Sudan a new country ?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
So congratulaions to Southern Sudan , who become the 54th UN member state in Africa , Southern Sudan is one of the least developed states in Africa. It has Oil, so im sure our freindly Oil companies will get in there fast. The Leader of Sudan President Omar al-Bashir has not lifted a finger to help his people, so will this new country survive, on it,s own two feet or will it be just another begging bowl basket case for the west.

BBC News - South Sudan's flag raised at independence ceremony

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There should have been two countries at the time of independence: the condominium that was the Sudan was run as two seperate entitities, North and South, however in the scramble to leave Whitehall overode the advice wiser heads of the local Colonial Officials and insisted upon a single nation state comprising both north and South.

edited to add, the fact that this occurred now gives impetus to Somaliland's claims to independence from Somalia.

So the 193rd country in the world and the 209th FIFA member?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Fior the differences N vs S, and the hideous track record of the Arabs slave-raiding the non-Muslims, try Wilfred Thesiger, "The Life of my Choice" (good read anyway).

SS is Country No 193. Off you go and name the other 192.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fior the differences N vs S, and the hideous track record of the Arabs slave-raiding the non-Muslims, try Wilfred Thesiger, "The Life of my Choice" (good read anyway).

SS is Country No 193. Off you go and name the other 192.
An absolutely wonderful book.

SS has applied for Commonwealth Membership

Oh joy. Now we can donate some aid to it and the president can buy himself an aeroplane.

Z

Zarathustra

So, if South Sudan gets Commonwealth Membership does this mean when it all kicks off we'll be off to Africa ala Sierra Leone?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, if South Sudan gets Commonwealth Membership does this mean when it all kicks off we'll be off to Africa ala Sierra Leone?
Why would it? Don't see us in Zim or even Kashmir do you?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We did end up in Sierra Leone and Rhodesia
When did we send troops to Rhodesia, other than during the initial colonisation period? Certainly not during UDI.

Mercedes will be rubbing their hands in anticipation of more business.......
Yes. The wabenzis of nations throughout the continent will be rushing forth with advice on how to successfully build a nation state.

How long before we hear of self enrichment?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
WTF what happened to my post???

Anyhoo, touche crow bag!!! Should have remembered that. Though tbf, it was not a case of deploying troops to a place where it was all kicking off. It was monitoring an existing ceasefire and the elections.

Somemore on Op. Agila here: The New Rhodesian Forum New Rhodesian Forum • View topic - RHODESIA'S LAST DAYS - OPERATION 'AGILA'

Any site members involved? Can they shed some more light on it?

Btw, what's happened to Britain's Small Wars, it seems to have gone down and out? http://www.britains-smallwars.com/RRGP/Agila/index.htm

For all those worrying about Southern Sudan becoming a new troublespot, well, you are too late. War and insurrection have been going on for most of the past fifty years since independence - it's just never really made the headlines. I was there about thirty years ago, during a brief lull following a "peace accord". It is by parts stunningly beautiful, lushly verdant and chillingly desolate.

The people I met there were living a mind bogglingly different way of life to ours - but beneath it all, were just the same - trying to get by, bring their kids up right, pull the pretty girls....some things are universal. To me they were warm and friendly, curious to learn more about the reality of an outside world they knew in those days mainly from BBC World service on shortwave Ironically, back then, I met old guys who were nostalgic for the days they were part of the British Empire.

I wish them every luck in the best chance they've had for generations of a little progress and development.

For all those worrying about Southern Sudan becoming a new troublespot, well, you are too late. War and insurrection have been going on for most of the past fifty years since independence - it's just never really made the headlines. I was there about thirty years ago, during a brief lull following a "peace accord". It is by parts stunningly beautiful, lushly verdant and chillingly desolate.

The people I met there were living a mind bogglingly different way of life to ours - but beneath it all, were just the same - trying to get by, bring their kids up right, pull the pretty girls....some things are universal. To me they were warm and friendly, curious to learn more about the reality of an outside world they knew in those days mainly from BBC World service on shortwave Ironically, back then, I met old guys who were nostalgic for the days they were part of the British Empire.

I wish them every luck in the best chance they've had for generations of a little progress and development.
Seconded. Just as long as we don't have to pay for it.:roll:

Latest Threads