South Korean proposed as new UN chief. Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have today's earlier events north of 'The Parallel' prompted this move?

2. After what I recently went through in that country, I wouldn't trust a south korean not to off his own mother.

It's not that I am bitter you understand.

Ski.

edited due to cooler head.

3. Think you may be right, Merkator, but perhaps the wrong way around, as it were.

Mr Ban won the last in the series of informal votes last week, and the Security Council was due to meet today to vote on the candidate whose name would be sent on to the General Assembly. It was, though, already 99% certain that Ban was going to be the Security Council's choice.

I would hazard a guess that Kim Jong Il couldn't stand the thought of a South Korean being appointed as UN Sec General and winning the big headlines for the Korean peninsula today, so perhaps a major diplomatic gesture from Pyongyang was rustled up...

Normally, I would be tempted to head to the kitchen, reach out the roll of foil from the draw by the kitchen hob and then indulge in a spot of millinery after making such a suggestion, but given Kim Jong-Il's Diplomatic Attention Defecit Hyperactivity Disorder when it comes to his insatiable need to get one over on the the South, I don't think this is an unreasonable theory. May not have been his prime motivation, but the timing does seem spookily coincidental.