South Korean Naval Unit Deals with Pirates

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by uncle_vanya, Jan 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's how to deal with pirates: South Korean commandos storm hijacked tanker and rescue all crew alive

South Korean navy commandos stormed a ship hijacked by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean last night and rescued all the crew. Eight pirates were killed in the raid on the chemical freighter, which was seized along with 21 crew on January 15 in the Arabian Sea while en route to Sri Lanka.

The captain of the 11,500-ton Samho Jewelry was shot in the stomach during the attack, and three commandos also suffered wounds.

Colonel Lee Bung-Woo, a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said: 'Our special forces stormed the hijacked Samho Jewelry earlier today and freed all hostages. 'During the operation, our forces killed some Somali pirates and all of the hostages were confirmed alive.' Eight South Koreans, two Indonesians and 11 from Myanmar were on board the vessel when it was attacked after setting out from the UAE.

Seoul ordered a destroyer on patrol in the Gulf of Aden to give chase and President Lee Myung-Bak ordered 'all possible measures' to save the crew.

Read more: That's how to deal with pirates: South Korean commandos storm hijacked tanker and rescue all crew alive | Mail Online

"That's the way to do it....!" Maybe the NATO Naval contingents out there, plus our Royal Navy ships have detachments of "Umin Rites" lawyers from Mrs Blair's Matrix law firm (alleged of course). Our Royal Naval detachments need to 'Grow a Pair' in dealing with these Pirates, and do likewise as the South Korean naval units have done. Sink the b*ggers......
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Indeed. I suspect word will go out in Somalia and ships with the Korean flag will be approached with caution. why risk it when you can take a British ship with impunity?
  3. The South Korean warship was probably ROKS Chungmugong Yi Sun-shin which is operating under the command of CTF 151 (anti-piracy coalition Task Force, currently led by Turkey). This is part of the US Fifth Fleet's COMUSNAVCENT Combined Maritime Forces based in Bahrain. The only senior non-US Navy officer on the staff of COMUSNAVCENT is Commodore Tim Fraser RN, Deputy Commander Combined Maritime Forces.

The CTF 151 ships are operating in concert with the Operation ATALANTA ships of the European Naval Force (EU NAVFOR), the Operational Commander of which is Major General Buster Howes OBE RM.

There is good cooperation between the two forces: EU NAVFOR Fuels South Korean Navy in the Gulf of Aden – Force Commanders Meet
  4. How many i-Pods were lost in this action?
  5. So original. It looks like I'm going to have to resurrect my list and start adding to it again:
    Don't say I haven't given fair warning.
  6. I should also note that previously a ship from the same owner have been held hostage and indeed paid the so far record ransom* to the Somalis.

So not to take away from what looks to have been a very good op and great result (1 friendly hostage injured and a few 'minor' injuries** to friendly forces) but its not like its simply down to ROK Navy = Better than x, y or z. The ROK's got in before the Somali's got back to a mother ship...which can be down to a bunch of random factors...but all credit to them for going in and getting the result.

*That anyones admiting to paying anyway
    **If thats acurate. 'Shot in the stomach' sounds nasty to me and 'a few light scratches to their bodies after Somalis returned fire' sounds scary as.
  7. roks make the ghurka's look like bed wetting liberals so mutiple gunshot wounds = light wounds I can still bite them to death sir
    somali pirates have attacked warships before so don't think flag identifcation will help.
    if its doable all countrys will have a crack even the french but if its not for obvious reasons they won't

re the west side boys after that little embarrsement Uk forces did go a tiny little batshit and turned the west side boys in jungle fertillizer unlike the RN that did'nt :)
  8. tiger Monkey. It might not be original but it still scored a direct hit.
  9. ...although one's own foot is not always the best target. :winkrazz:
  10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Not sure if you are scoring any hits regarding the WSB etc. After all, you could strongly argue that the UK forces did get their own back literally (Yes i include the navy lynx and the "others" who were involved), whereas the ipod debacle... well they got to sell their story :)

Back on thread, i would have thought most ships would have "safe" rooms these days?
  11. Reminds me of Robert Mason, in Chickenhawk (about US Army helicopter pilots in Vietnam) saying he was glad the base was defended by ROKs, because when the VC mortared the place, the ROKs came back with mortar tubes and VC heads.
    Good work, dog-eating fellas!!
  12. Dunservin is probably correct about the involvement of CTF151, however the Turks handed over command to Pakistan in December. The Pakistani 1* HQ is currently embarked in HMS CORNWALL.