South American states ban Falkland Islands ships

Traditionally, the closure of ports to the British has always ended in tears, Jenkin's ear etc. It's a shame that we no longer have a Navy!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
£400m up grade to St Helena does that mean that the airfield at Ascension is no longer going to be used?
Or has the Journo got confused that Ascension is part of the St Helena group of Islands?
Will we be putting forces back in there as It's al run by civvies now IIRC.

"Malvinas is not an Argentine cause, it is a global cause, because in the Malvinas they are taking our oil and fishing resources.

"And when there is need for more resources, those who are strong are going to look for them wherever and however they can."
Not really in the spirit of the orginal 'We want the Falklands back because we have some historical hang up with them' arguement, more 'They now have stuff we don't have and we want it!'. It's a good job we have all of the military resources we need to both defend or retake the islands if need be.
Oh, hang on......

It's a good job we have all of the military resources we need to both defend or retake the islands if need be.
Oh, hang on......
Could the whole of South America combined put together an amphibious task force in less than, say, a decade?

And if so, how long do you think it would take Astute to sink them all?

£400m up grade to St Helena does that mean that the airfield at Ascension is no longer going to be used?
Or has the Journo got confused that Ascension is part of the St Helena group of Islands?
Ascension is governed by St Helena .............. ergo, it is part of it.
Personally, I can see HMG selling or giving Ascension to the Septics, they love empire building.

Well considering their exports are beef, soybeans, cellulose, rice, wheat, wood, dairy products & wool they've hardly got a stranglehold on the world supply of commodities so I think the Falklanders will survive. :)

To be honest, its more of a flag waving, sabre rattling exercise. I imagine that it'll be one of those things signed up to, but never actually carried out. The whole issue with south american politics and the Falklands is to keep Argentina vaguely sweet, because they've got an okay economy and you dont want a beligerent nation on your borders. Then having kept them sweet, you just ignore the whole thing and carry on as normal.

To be honest, its more of a flag waving, sabre rattling exercise. I imagine that it'll be one of those things signed up to, but never actually carried out. The whole issue with south american politics and the Falklands is to keep Argentina vaguely sweet, because they've got an okay economy and you dont want a beligerent nation on your borders. Then having kept them sweet, you just ignore the whole thing and carry on as normal.
The sheer mendacity of it all; I mean, it's like politics or something.

Oh NOOOOO!!! We've got no Carriers or Harriers!!! The Bennies are DOOMED. Doomed, I tell ye...!!

Has anyone got Sharkey Ward's phone number? Failing that, The Phoenix Think Tank's??

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Ascension is governed by St Helena .............. ergo, it is part of it.
Personally, I can see HMG selling or giving Ascension to the Septics, they love empire building.
Thought the Yanks already owned it we gave it them under lend lease?
IRC It was an American Airfield and a British dependancy and that we leased Wideawake back since 82.
I'm sure there was a USAF Col and some staf there when I was there in 89
He was like the RAF Officers you used to have on American Camps over here (think Dr Strangelove)

So I don't think there's anything to sell

He might have got mixed up, St Helena is due to get an airfield, mainly to help tourism and make the island less dependant on the British taxpayer.

Ascension is part of the group, its not just RAF Wideawake on the island plenty of other military installations (Brit and Septic), the island does have a small population including some Saints who work there. I know a Saint (islander from St Helena) who works in Falklands who spends their holidays on Ascension, a couple of nice beaches, however you can't visit Ascension on a normal British passport without permission from the Ascension Island Government (which is actually the St Helena Government).

To visit St Helena you currently have to fly to cape Town and then take a 1500 mile sea journey.

As for the Argies, ban Corn Beef/beef imports here. Bloody Daygo's need to remember their place!

Dagos feeling brave and flexing their muscles. Its about time they got a good old colonial licking again.
Dubbining my DMS, ironing my puttees and assembling the old '58 pattern even as I type.
Now where to report?

I always thought we should have a TA training camp there, you know, to take the pressure off Brecon or Catterick. Send a TA infantry battalion down every 3 weeks or so during the summer; that'd frighten off the Argies!

I always thought we should have a TA training camp there, you know, to take the pressure off Brecon or Catterick. Send a TA infantry battalion down every 3 weeks or so during the summer; that'd frighten off the Argies!
So, defence on a Tuesday night would be fine...not during meal times, though!