South American states ban Falkland Islands ships

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by goatbagthedruid, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What we need to do is send our carriers............oh!

Anyone for the Malvinas this year?

2. Traditionally, the closure of ports to the British has always ended in tears, Jenkin's ear etc. It's a shame that we no longer have a Navy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

£400m up grade to St Helena does that mean that the airfield at Ascension is no longer going to be used?
    Or has the Journo got confused that Ascension is part of the St Helena group of Islands?
    Will we be putting forces back in there as It's al run by civvies now IIRC.

4. Not really in the spirit of the orginal 'We want the Falklands back because we have some historical hang up with them' arguement, more 'They now have stuff we don't have and we want it!'. It's a good job we have all of the military resources we need to both defend or retake the islands if need be.
    Oh, hang on......

• Like Like x 2
  5. Could the whole of South America combined put together an amphibious task force in less than, say, a decade?

And if so, how long do you think it would take Astute to sink them all?

• Like Like x 7
  6. Thats corned dog and Frey Bentos pies off the menu, lets see them break the blockade around my ****ing shopping trolley!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Falklands is a very long way for Astute to sail, without bumping into any well charted rocks!

• Like Like x 7
  8. Ascension is governed by St Helena .............. ergo, it is part of it.
    Personally, I can see HMG selling or giving Ascension to the Septics, they love empire building.

9. Well considering their exports are beef, soybeans, cellulose, rice, wheat, wood, dairy products & wool they've hardly got a stranglehold on the world supply of commodities so I think the Falklanders will survive. :)

10. To be honest, its more of a flag waving, sabre rattling exercise. I imagine that it'll be one of those things signed up to, but never actually carried out. The whole issue with south american politics and the Falklands is to keep Argentina vaguely sweet, because they've got an okay economy and you dont want a beligerent nation on your borders. Then having kept them sweet, you just ignore the whole thing and carry on as normal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The sheer mendacity of it all; I mean, it's like politics or something.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh NOOOOO!!! We've got no Carriers or Harriers!!! The Bennies are DOOMED. Doomed, I tell ye...!!

Has anyone got Sharkey Ward's phone number? Failing that, The Phoenix Think Tank's??

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Thought the Yanks already owned it we gave it them under lend lease?
    IRC It was an American Airfield and a British dependancy and that we leased Wideawake back since 82.
    I'm sure there was a USAF Col and some staf there when I was there in 89
    He was like the RAF Officers you used to have on American Camps over here (think Dr Strangelove)

So I don't think there's anything to sell