South Africans

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by Obelix, Aug 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any Saffas out there able to tell me what's happening with the motion in SA to pass a law makling it illegal for us to serve in HM Armed Forces?

I'd heard the UK govt had appealed against it, but then was recently told that it's it has been passed, making us illegals. Trying to sort the truth from the rumours...
  2. *bump*
  3. The Aussie army had a signal out about this, I believe you need to contact the nearest SA High Commision and tallk to them. Going from memory, you have 6 months to register with them, I believe you are not neccesarily 'illegal' if you join a foreign army, just if you are involved in a warlike action that the SA govt doesn't agree with.

Best bet is to speak to a SA Diplomatic mission ASP and get the low down.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Wasnt this meant to stop you becoming mercanaries, if that means not going back I wouldnt worry, it'll be another Zim in 5 to 10 years!
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

It was aimed at operations like Executive Outcomes who utilised ex-SADF (not SANDF) like 32 Bttn for various guns for hire deals some of which worked out well and some were the Wonga farce that Mrs Thatcher little boy got embroiled in.

I don't think it would be used against serving in the forces of a Commonwealth country, though obviously it would be on the books and could be used.

However how on earth are they going to find out what you're up to if you don't go and tell them? I mean it's not like we're talking about the most efficient Gov on earth now and after 4-5 years served you'd be eligible for a Brit passport and then you can tell them to go f**k themselves.

Just make sure you get all your papers - passport, driving licence, birth certificates, marriage adoption the whole lot up to date before you leave (this process will add years to your life btw) and then you don't have to speak with them for 10 years.

Just don't go volunteering any information - and if anyone asks you're on a 4 year gap year plan.

I hold a Brit passport through my parents/granparents/great grandparents and just walked out of SA one day and let my SA passport (the Green Mamba) lapse, still go and visit once a year or so and no one even blinks when I wander through immigration.

Btw anyone suggesting you go and talk to the High Commission about ANYTHING hasn't go tthe faintest idea about how things in Africa work - you WILL regret it.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Sorry to say that SA is on it's way to going to pieces, so now's a GREAT time to do exactly as Schaden says.

Sign on the dotted line for HM forces, do your 4-5 years, get British Citizenship and the world is your oyster.

SA blerks and ladiez are welcome in UK forces, and the UK for that matter (notwithstanding that about 180,000 UK professionals are exiting UK stage-left permanently each year as I type this for greener pastures such as New Zealand, Australia, USA and Canada).
  7. Most of the friends my wife had growing up in SA are now either here in the states or are in Canada...
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd lay odds that they are net contributors to the state rather than in receipt!
  9. Definately... two are teachers like her, one is a police officer, and the last is a stock broker. Good folks all...
  10. Thanks for the replies...

I've got both a UK passport and a Saffa one, so not too much of a problem for me, am definitely going through with my application for Clearance Diver in the navy, was asking more on behalf for two of my friends applying for Royal Marines.

What I'd heard is that the new law is "supposedly" to stop us becoming mercenaries in private military companies, but extends to cover those serving in other nations' armed forces too. To me, this smacks of spite: 'you lot don't wanna join our military, then you're not gonna join any others either.' As though there's any future for a Saffa of 'European' descent in the SA Armed Forces!

Last I'd heard was that the Brit Foreign & Commonwealth Office had appealed this new law via diplomatic channels, but that was some time ago and I've heard nothing of the outcome.
  11. Just read the Aussie Sig regarding this. Basically RSA citizens who join foreign armed forces may be liable to prosecution if they have not received authorisation from the RSA Govt.
    Citizens who are already members of foreign Armed Forces will have a 6 month window to gain authority. Authority previously granted may be withdrawn if said foreign armed forces become involved in a conflict which RSA Govt does not agree with.
    There are also issues with the South African citizenship Act 1995 ( which may have a bearing on RSA citizens who become citizens of another country, retaining RSA citizenship.

Hope this is useful to somebody....

Taken from the above article, which is worth a read.

"The Bill has yet to be passed.

The British High Commission confirmed that 800 South Africans are enlisted in the British military.

The commission’s spokesman, Russ Dixon, said: “We can’t comment on the impact until the bill has been passed.”"

I have said this before about this law and perhaps im biased because im living in SA now and loving every minute of it but I dont think this law is going to be that big a deal, it really is not that unreasonable to think that if some guy with your passport in his pocket is out fighting for another country that you as a state should know about it and have the capacity to punish people if they dont declare it, it just makes issues like Mr Thatchers little African adventure much easier to deal with and hopefully less of a national embarrassement.
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lot of what Obelix says is true - it is spite - there a lot of 20-25 year old South Africans who do wish to serve in the military and when given a choice between the SANDF (which is farcial) and the British Armed Forces for many, like my nephew and two of my godsons, the choice is a no brainer.
  14. A friend of mine, who I told this little bit of gen too, said he thought it would be a good way to keep the clever, capable South Africans who wants to serve in the forces in South Africa, which would then build up a better quality SANDF...

I disagree with his logic on all counts, but what do others think?
  15. Maybe if Mbeki did the decent thing and employed the mercs to get rid of Mugabe, it would take the tension out of the situation. As it is, from where I stand in Blighty, SA looks fcuked.