South Africans Serving in the British Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Quoth, Aug 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I noticed the following on Yahoo news yesterday.

The proposed Bill is, I believe, grossly unconstitutional and should not be passed. However, I have a strong suspicion that it will be.

As a holder of dual South African/British Citizenship and a serving soldier in the TA I was wondering whether there is an official line on this. Where will I, and the hundreds of other South Africans in the British Army, stand should this come to pass?

Regards,

Q

2. I was under the impression that was passed into law the other week. The British High Commissioner tried to intervene and, I believe, made a speech at the SA parliament asking for an exception for HM Forces.

I assume that unless there is some 'preserved rights' provision (which I doubt) SA citizens in HMF will have to choose between their country and their job. I would guess that as a dual nationality person, you will have the right to serve with HMF.

Maybe the UK Government will continue to lobby for an exception for HMF.

3. Hi Fred_Cat,

I believe the Defence Committee passed the bill a couple of weeks back. It was at this session that the High Commissioner requested that personnel in the British Army be exempt (and was largely ignored!).

The Bill was approved by Parliament yesterday and still needs to be approved by the Second House and the President. I'm not fully offay with the parliamentary process but I feel that it will be passed. The South African government seems to have planted it's flag in the "anti-west" camp and accordingly would like to see this made law so that there aren't any conflicts of interests arising from it's citizens serving in foreign militaries.

It does present an interesting problem. Holding dual citizenship I could at least opt to either rescind my South African Citizenship or leave the armed forces. Neither option is particularly appealing. However, for those who are serving and hold only South African Citizenship (I believe this is possible with work permits, permanent resisdency and the like) the only option they would have would be to leave the armed forces.

It does seem a bit crazy that the retrospective nature of the law could criminalise someone for something they did quite legally.

Regards,

Q

4. Its about time the UK Govt recognised all foreign nationals serving in our Armed Forces with full UK citizenship after 3 years served (or discharge before three years if injured on duty).

5. Got to choose between RSA and Uk? I know what my choice would be.

6. Hey guys,

I am trying to get in touch with a Saffa serving in British Mil, saw on the threads that there are indeed a few out there.

If you know a Saffa serving, what would it take to get in touch with him / her ?

Please guys, response will be highly appreciated..

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Knowing his name would be a good start.

Or do you work at Binnelandse Sake & just want a list of those serving ?

8. No I think he's related to this guy:

[​IMG]

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

And works here.

• Like Like x 1