South African Lightning spears in

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used to watch them going up from RAF Middleton St George in the early 60s.
    I always thought that they were looking for Bears. Damn fine interceptor, shame about the loss of driver and airframe.

2. That Lightening won't strike twice.
  3. This is a tragic loss,not just of an outstanding pilot but also of one of the last few flyable Lightnings.Very sad news,Rest in Peace.
  4. Blimey! That's now Teesside Airport (or Durham Tees Valley) airport now.

God rest his soul - and that of one of the finest planes ever built.
  5. Nice linky Odo. This bit....

i was at the show and heard pilot declare emergency. ac was routed to east of the field and pilot indicated possibility of needing to eject. he reported he was going to fly away from populated areas and again indicated he may need to eject. thereafter indicated he was having difficulties with control and was ejecting. shortly afterwards he reported "ejection failure" and the aircraft impacted the ground. I saw no parachute deploy.

....gets the old lip wobbling! Very brave and, sadly, tragic!

RIP bud
  6. A terrible loss of driver and airframe, they Frightning was never a forgiving beast but a thing of beauty on max chat.

7. Is anyone else getting the ad for aerial refueling on that page? With the fighter jet that flies accross the screen? Not in the best taste!
  8. This one...

Attached Files: