South African Assault Vests

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Cardinal, Oct 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you still get the proper ones? All I have seen round here are some rather nasty copies in DPM.

I had one of these (not chest webbing) when they first became available and thought it quite good, seen a lot of pictures of others using them so obviously I am not alone in this.

Been looking cannot find them, ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Cardinal

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

3. The ones linked there are cheap copies of the original, unfortunately.

I looked at a set a while back, the size of the pouches was a joke, designed for the WaltSoft community I think. Would you trust your life-saving kit in a set of £30 webbing ? Over a six-month hard tour ? Compare this kit to some of the Kifaru designed pouches/packs - quality comes at a price.

I know it's not what you're asking for, but have a look at the smamit website, some good webbing being made there at the moment.

http://www.smamit.co.il/modules.php?name=treeview&section_id=9&category_id=72&op=tv_view_page

4. Don't buy it!
    It's really bad, just for cadets really or airsoft walts.
    www.sasskit.co.uk
    Is where i got mine, is very good. Extras can be sewn on like bayonet frog etc.

5. ..............are shit.

Ive never come across a decent one in my time, and the load carrying capacity is a bit shit as well.

Stick with PLCE.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Never liked mine, hot sweaty uncomfortable- too small for what you needed - the chest webbing was good though but I've never seen it commercially available.

7. IIRC Transworld Surplus in Rugby used to have a "South African" connection and imported the real deal, rather than the lame Viper/Webtex/Thatchreed bollox. I'm going back a few years now, but it could be worth a try.

8. Got one for sale if needed. Out now so don't have a use for it at present.

Edited to say, and it's a proper one not a Walty "can't get the mags in the pockets type one".

Used state, modded by HM supplies and won't cost to much either.

9. Jay Jays of Brecon used to make their own version in DPM, it looked pretty gucci and wasn't too expensive (around 80-85 quid I think).

Worth a look if they still do them.

10. the south african assault vest is shit it doesnt last it just falls aprt when uouput it through some aggresive use mine fell apart after one exercise

11. Something tells me that you're talking about the 'cheap and cheerful' version, rather than the 'brown, but bombproof' genuine South African vest, or the Jay Jays or HM Supplies version.

Let me guess, yours cost about 17:99?

12. I remember I picked up a pukka SA assault vest, purely out of interest, :roll: -at the market under the Arches at Charing Cross. This was back in the 80s, when the market was really interesting and not the PC craft exhibition that it became.

This thing was the bees-knees, except you could end up overloading yourself if you weren't careful. It had a full rapelling/snatch harness built in and the pouches were of a truly excellent design.

I blush to admit but I never really had a valid use for it at the time but it was a really gucci bit of kit and I couldn't resist it. In the end I gave it to Cutaway, in the interests of science, so to speak. If you want to know about that vest and the relative merits of different styles, he's you man; ask him!

13. I'm in agreement with TT here. The issue M83 SA Vest was damn robust and survived several years of abuse from me. The Viper Systems/Thatchreed/whoever version pales into comparison beside it.

14. I had one (Genuine brown one) for years and it still looked good when i got rid of it, I would recommend though getting quick release buckles put on the larger pouches as the normal ones are a bit fiddly. If you have been watching the news you will have seen nearly every 3 Para bod in Helmand wearing one.

15. Still cant find one of the original ones. They were bomb proof unlike the copies.

Judging by the pictures of the paras though they know where to get them still.

Cardinal