South Africa War Graves Project

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by heythrop, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The South Africa War Graves Project exists "To photograph every single South African and Rhodesian war grave from 2nd. Anglo-Boer War, WW1, WW2, Korea, Rand Revolt, Freedom Struggle, Angola-Border War to present date"

They can be found at
  2. Thanks for the link heythrop. A fine poject indeed.

The cove in the picture I (or, rather, PartTimePongo, because I couldn't manage it...) posted on the Family Military Photos thread lies in southern African soil so I will follow with interest.

Interesting, for me, to see Angola-Border War. I first became aware of the intensity of this when, as a callow stripling, I took myself off to Israel to work on a kibbutz. In those apartheid days, UK and Israel were among the only easy places for young SA whites to travel.

Thus, I found myself on a kibbutz near the Gaza Strip (you could see the lights at night but no point going down the road as you would be turned back at the checkpoint) with many South Africans. It was an eye-opener for me to meet lads only a bit older than me who had completed their sometimes very active National Service.

I shared a rickety room (the low-flying CH 53s used to make it shake) with an Afrikaner called Dene. It was on one sweltering hot night that he basically began to reminisce outloud to himself in the dark from the other side of the room about his time in Angola. I felt very privileged to have been able to hear something about a conflict relatively little recorded. Heartening to think that the memory of those who fell will be further honoured.
  3. Tragic that the remaining Isandlhwana grave markers were recently stolen, thus casting into anonymity the chaps lying there. Perhaps one day a "Time Team" will be able to re-identify them through some advanced DNA tracing or suchlike....
  4. Some SA mates of mine were telling me about Angola, and the experiences of some of the troops. They mentioned how women would put grenades under babies and detonate them next to troops killing themselves and the babies.
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Total complete crap - ask your mates where they served, what unit and where they trained - walts one and all.

Personally I was in 1 SA Infantry, then 61 Mech Bttn, based at Omathiya, bounced into Angola for Ops Protea and Daisy, klaared out in '81, served with 7Brigade again in Angola twice '84 and '86 as support. Training Lohatla '83 and '85.

Very, very few units actually in the old SADF had combat experience, sounds like stories for gullible civvies.

Btw if you find yourself on the road between Pietermaritzburg (last outpost of the Empire) and Jo'burg - just before you get to Ladysmith, there's a small cemetary on the spot of Buller's field position during the battle - just some bird life and some British soldiers in the African bush, but worth visiting.
  6. Thanks for the info.

I lived in SA as a child, but live in the uk now.
  7. Thanks for that Spion Kop link, Schaden. I wallowed in nostalgia as I travelled again in my minds eye along that road shown in the strip of map on the way from Jo'burg to Durban.