South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

That would be more outright sale than investment, I should think.

The covid alcohol ban in SA has small wine farms failing all over. I wonder if this isn't all part of the plan to allow the anc cronies or their Chinese masters to pick them up for a song.

Lunacy.
Background: Cigarette sales were banned in March.
Since then, prices have skyrocketed, and now come down to a 'reasonable' - ie 3x the price - level.
All black market , no duty paid. HUGE loss to fiscus.
Heavy handed raids by cops, and Police Minister even went as far as to say people smoking would be interrogated as to their source...
t his week, ANC bigwig and Mandela's co-accused snuffs if. Read on...

Lunacy.
Background: Cigarette sales were banned in March.
Since then, prices have skyrocketed, and now come down to a 'reasonable' - ie 3x the price - level.
All black market , no duty paid. HUGE loss to fiscus.
Heavy handed raids by cops, and Police Minister even went as far as to say people smoking would be interrogated as to their source...
t his week, ANC bigwig and Mandela's co-accused snuffs if. Read on...

anglo

LE
In all my time in South Africa the only electricity outages we had, were due to lightening storms,
and were short in duration, the place is frecked now,
The power stations have been run into the ground, the gold mines must be right in the sh*t
production must be way down

Citing generation unit breakdowns, Eskom has announced that stage 2 load-shedding is being implemented on Thursday, from 8am until 10pm.

“This load-shedding has been caused by an increase in plant breakdowns during the night and early hours of the morning,” it said in a statement.

“The delay of the return to service of two units at Duvha and Tutuka and the breakdowns of four units at Kriel, Tutuka, and Kendal have resulted in the need for load-shedding today. These units removed more than 2,000MW of capacity from the system. Eskom is working hard to return as many of these generation units to service.

Pretty much. If we had one power outage in two or three years, usually due to lightning storms, it was a lot. Never lasted longer than an hour or two before Eskom sorted it out.

Under the cANCer, six hours a day without power is not unusual. It happens a couple of times a week these days, although it was a daily thing a year or two back. Ol' PW may have been a massive poes, but he was pretty close to the reality of things. I wonder if folks will look back in a few years and say the same about Trump...

Tool

LE
In all my time in South Africa the only electricity outages we had, were due to lightening storms,
and were short in duration, the place is frecked now,
The power stations have been run into the ground, the gold mines must be right in the sh*t
production must be way down

...units at Kriel...
I thought that Kriel was supposed to have been mothballed and decommed in the late 90's or early 2000's?

I also remember the OCCASIONAL power outage when I grew up, usually due to lighting strikes on the sub-stations, rather than the actual generating stations.

*** Edit - got it wrong. Kriel still supposed to be online until 2026.
What I did find though is interesting (most of the site is in clutch-plate):

"New build" Medupi, Kusile and Ingula stations started in 2007. Debts now stand at R600Bn (about £30bn), alsmot 25% of the government's whole debt of R2.5Tn. They are massively behind schedule and suffer from design errors causing break-downs.

Last edited:
I thought that Kriel was supposed to have been mothballed and decommed in the late 90's or early 2000's?

I also remember the OCCASIONAL power outage when I grew up, usually due to lighting strikes on the sub-stations, rather than the actual generating stations.

"New build" Medupi, Kusile and Ingula stations started in 2007. Debts now stand at R600Bn (about £30bn), alsmot 25% of the government's whole debt of R2.5Tn. They are massively behind schedule and suffer from design errors causing break-downs.

Also, using slack coal, which fucked the machinery wholesale...
And the storage silos (it is acidic) and the conveyors (abrasive)
Yet they paid top price for premium coal... which obviously wasn't.
It seems many chaps go to work with the intention of 'what can I steal today'.

I am looking for a bit of advice. I need to send some items to my uncle in Harare, some valuable, some not, all irreplaceable. Is a carrier like DHL etc. the best way to ensure they arrive ?

ZPO went south years ago.

Last time in Harare the old PO building was a wreck. The main distribution frames , MDFs out in the streets where they PO connects to local subscribers were all open and looked like a vertical plate of spaghetti.

Mobile took over thanks to Uncle Chan .

Imagine my surprise.

Meanwhile, back at the wilde donkie...

And the west still thought it was a brilliant idea and pushed for the fox to be given the keys to the henhouse.

How many times does something have to turn to shit before it's considered a bad idea? I'm afraid the experiment is being located to Europe/UK where they'll give it another go.

And the west still thought it was a brilliant idea and pushed for the fox to be given the keys to the henhouse.

How many times does something have to turn to shit before it's considered a bad idea? I'm afraid the experiment is being located to Europe/UK where they'll give it another go.
In another 20 years or so the communist Chinese will have colonised most of sub-Saharan Africa, and sent to blecks off for re-education.

The re-colonisation of Africa, by China will see them under the control of very different set of ‘masters’.

Far less benign, forgiving, and with only one aim. The exploitation of resources for China, or establishment of strategic military outposts for the new Chinese global empire presently being prepared for total world domination.

Latest Threads