South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Yup. For the best I should think. The SANDF is a shambles, so better to rename regiments in order to distance those SADF units with a proud history from the current shit show.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yet they have Smuts and De la Rey regiments.... apparently cos they fought against colonialists.
Quite.
The Xhosa dogs kakked themselves over the song, I have no idea how they can handle a regiment.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Yup. For the best I should think. The SANDF is a shambles, so better to rename regiments in order to distance those SADF units with a proud history from the current shit show.
the N - is that reference to people of colour?

Are the Recce Regiments in the same sorry state as the rest of the SANDF?
They get funded OK and access to kit and training from foreign military powers, but the ethos is not the same. There are probably a few decent operators but it's not the same level of selection, training, and dare I say elite esprit de corps as in the past.

the N - is that reference to people of colour?
National. It's hardly a force any more with such a high incidence of HIV that they can barely field enough complete units for UN ops without artfully manipulating figures. All that lovely UN money is very tempting indeed.

Renaming it a defence service has drawbacks though. SANDS sounds a bit like they're all lazing away on holiday.

Oh, wait...

anglo

LE
National. It's hardly a force any more with such a high incidence of HIV that they can barely field enough complete units for UN ops without artfully manipulating figures. All that lovely UN money is very tempting indeed.

Renaming it a defence service has drawbacks though. SANDS sounds a bit like they're all lazing away on holiday.

Oh, wait...
High incidence of HIV,

Is that just the *Army? {*I use that term loosely} or the general population as well

Across the board I should think. Used to be the highest reported rate around in SA a while ago but not sure what it's like now. I think it's pretty widespread in Africa, just mostly unreported/undiagnosed so difficult to give accurate figures.

Across the board I should think. Used to be the highest reported rate around in SA a while ago but not sure what it's like now. I think it's pretty widespread in Africa, just mostly unreported/undiagnosed so difficult to give accurate figures.
So wait long enough and most of them will snuff it ?

So wait long enough and most of them will snuff it ?
We'll all snuff it eventually. Some sooner than others.

A few folks have been living with it for years, while others kark it after a short while. It's debilitating but most just get on with things until they don't. It's seen as a bit embarrassing for many so families will sometimes refuse to admit to a relative having it or having died from it and many doctors follow a similar path with death certificates. TB is a big killer, but the underlying cause is lack of immunity due to AIDS.

We'll all snuff it eventually. Some sooner than others.

A few folks have been living with it for years, while others kark it after a short while. It's debilitating but most just get on with things until they don't. It's seen as a bit embarrassing for many so families will sometimes refuse to admit to a relative having it or having died from it and many doctors follow a similar path with death certificates. TB is a big killer, but the underlying cause is lack of immunity due to AIDS.
HIV isn't a death sentence, if you play it clever.
Lay off the booze, smokes, drugs especially, follow a decent diet, don't put yourself at risk of any 'opportune' infections.
MrsRid cousin died of AIDS a few years back.
Was HIV+, but kept caning the boozer heavily, partying on, and stuffing her gob with non-nutritious takeaways...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
HIV isn't a death sentence, if you play it clever.
Lay off the booze, smokes, drugs especially, follow a decent diet, don't put yourself at risk of any 'opportune' infections.
MrsRid cousin died of AIDS a few years back.
Was HIV+, but kept caning the boozer heavily, partying on, and stuffing her gob with non-nutritious takeaways...
But did she have fun while spreading it ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Unlike Covid for which the government has precise figures...

Ri-i-i-i-ight.

As for the figures in the rest of the continent...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
She dispensed her favours with the same enthusiasm with which she dispensed hamburgers.
And, before you ask, no, I didn't.
Her name wasn't Winnie Madikizela by any chance ?

Latest Threads