South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My old friend in Africa sent me this, after I asked her if she still went swimming in the sea ( she is an excellent swimmer )

make of it what you will

Current Situation in South Africa / this is why we can't go to the beach any more !!!

This is a letter published in the most recent edition of 'The Getaway' travel magazine by the editor.

It is and has been for many years, the foremost travel magazine in this part of the world.

Makes interesting reading and I'm afraid he's right in everything he says, he's hit the nail right on the head !!

"Ed’s letter: Dear Mr President

Posted by Justin Fox on 17 December 2019

I’d rather not be writing this letter to you, Mr Ramaphosa. I’m a travel editor, not a politician. But I’ve been driven to write because of the things I see around me, both in the travel industry and society at large. We are a broken country and you are one of our best, and last, hopes. It’s a new year, and boy do we need hope.

At Getaway, it’s our job and privilege to celebrate South Africa, to show off the best our country has to offer. But we’re finding it harder and harder to recommend places in this violent land. Where are we truly safe? Where can visitors avoid armed robbery (not even in the finest hotels)? Where can they avoid the pervading rape and murder (no longer on Table Mountain or in a game park or on a quiet beach).

In compiling this issue, we wracked our brains to come up with Cape Town hikes and mountain-bike trails that we consider safe: outside Cape Point the answer is none. The criminals and the corrupt rule. The law-abiding citizen has effectively lost.

My advice to foreign tourists is that if you’re not certain about security arrangements, rethink your plans. If you’re a young woman travelling alone, don’t even consider visiting. In fact, South Africa has been rated the most dangerous country in the world for lone female tourists. If you’re a black African from elsewhere on the continent, the risks are probably higher.

South Africans who travel abroad often remark on their sense of relief at not having to watch their backs, the liberation of being able to walk alone in cities at night. The privilege of not having to set burglar alarms or worry about being hijacked. Most South Africans, it’s been suggested, suffer from low-grade PTSD. It’s in the air we breathe.

Violence in South Africa is at levels most countries consider to be war. The most basic task of any responsible government is ensuring law and order. And yet most departments and town councils have their corrupt officials, their mini-Guptas and pocket-Zumas. Tenders are squandered, bills aren’t paid, cops ignore crime, sewage runs in the streets. Just try to make a booking at a government-run park in the Eastern Cape.

According to the Medical Research Council, one in three South African women will be raped during their lifetimes. Nearly one in five South African men are rapists. The statistics are catastrophic. Conviction rates for crimes are dismal and jails overflowing; criminals are soon back on the street. Millions of South African men should be in jail. We need a society of consequences.

There are many places to begin changing this dire situation. Top of the list should be turning the economy around, reforming education and creating an effective criminal justice system. The first two might take decades to show meaningful results, the latter needs speedy implementation. Most importantly, we need the best and the brightest to do the work – even if they’re white or brown or old or female or foreign.

Where are you in all this, Mr President? You seem to be missing in action. South Africa is paralysed by ANC infighting and policy indecision. But we don’t have any more time for consultation and consensus. Rome is burning!

We want bold action from you. Even if many eggs get broken. You need to go on the offensive against those destroying our country, even those within your government bent on sabotage. The likes of Ace Magashule and his merry thugs should be behind bars. National interest must trump party interest.

May I humbly offer a few suggestions for your next NEC meeting? Put soldiers on the streets everywhere tourists go (Egypt does it). Depoliticise the civil service – deploy the right people, not cadres. Reign in the trade unions and retrench the thousands of inept officials (start with incompetent teachers). Decriminalise drugs. Reform the prison system. Forget nuclear, go green. Sell off non-performing SOEs (start with a few Eskom power stations and SAA). Pause or reform BEE: we need all experienced hands on deck. Import skilled foreigner workers. Listen to Tito; give Shamila everything she wants; keep Pravin on speed-dial. Meritocracy good, kleptocracy bad.

Mr President, South Africa is hanging on by its fingernails. You must lead us in hauling it back from the brink.

Yours faithfully

Justin"

Another winner from the SANDF.

SANDU national secretary Pikkie Greeff said information that they had obtained from sources at the base showed that the last time an inspection of the armoury was done was in September.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Another winner from the SANDF.

SANDU national secretary Pikkie Greeff said information that they had obtained from sources at the base showed that the last time an inspection of the armoury was done was in September.
This earlier article mentions that the scaled R4 rifles had been "manufactured for extreme warfare."
I'm unaware of the precise nature of extreme warfare, is when people aren't just killed, but really, really killed ?

This earlier article mentions that the scaled R4 rifles had been "manufactured for extreme warfare."
I'm unaware of the precise nature of extreme warfare, is when people aren't just killed, but really, really killed ?
Or to kill people twice to be sure to be sure

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

NSP

LE
I do hope they wore insulated gloves to grind open the volt. Safety first, n'all that.

They are for when wrestling gets really serious...
images.jpeg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wonder what Nelson Mandela would make of it all?
Back in '91/92 he considered it inevitable. For him it was all about finding a way to do it without causing a bloodbath.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Received this, looks to be a copy of a message from last September, but I don't know if it was posted here.

There are, at present, a number of profound public outbreaks of violence, xenophobia, looting and general unhappiness.

JHB and Tshwane (Pretoria) are the epicentres but places like Germiston are no better off.

Each epicentre is defined by three things: lawlessness, anger (in various forms, of which xenophobia is one) and police ineptitude.
These riots are uncontained.
They constitute, in effect "no go zones," and warnings to that effect have been issued.

Understanding them is difficult.
Each "outbreak" has particulars.
However, in the big picture, they are hardly aberrations.
It depends on your frame of analysis.
Consider the following ten general characteristics of the contemporary South African condition:

#002A
Police are ill-equipped and ill-prepared to deal with violence. Regardless, they are chased away, attacked and denigrated as the enemy, and seen as illegitimate.

#002B
The army has been deployed in the Western Cape, and even there managed to hand over weapons to the tsotsis.

#002C
The state has seen its authority fundamentally undermined.
It is barely holding itself together, never mind the populous.

#002D
Civil unrest, for so long scattered into a thousand small, isolated uprisings across both the urban and rural divide, is now starting to consolidate in big urban centres, to the degree whole CBD's are shut down.

#002E
Politicians are generally perceived as fundamentally corrupted or ineffective; thus, illegitimate.

#002F
The social fabric is weak or torn, the family, education, health, communities and crime are all bound together by horror and failure.

#002G
There is acute economic distress.
This underpins everything, not only at a macro economic level, but in terms of the things that matter to people on the ground, huge unemployment levels, inflation and no sense of growth or prosperity, only despair and decline.

#002H
SA Millenarianism is weakening.
The idea, which so long held South Africa together - that we had turned a corner and where on the path to the good life, led by the ANC - is fracturing and breaking under the strain of a brutal reality.
Without it, hope dissipates and dangerous, radical populisms thrive.

#002I
In response, minorities - South African and foreign - are increasingly becoming scapegoats for failure.
White South Africans (Indians too) for the macro-economic condition; foreigners and immigrants for local, micro-economic realities.

#002J
All of this is augmented by rampant, unchecked decline - a general sense things are falling apart and, further to allude to Yeats, that the centre cannot hold.
Decline is everywhere, roads, schools and the basic building blocks of life (water, electricity, housing).

These demons have been a decade in the making.
Relentlessly, in the background, they were fed and nurtured.
Today, they dominate the grand environment in which each particular outbreak of anarchy shares a common context.
To understand them you must understand that context.

There are phrases which describe these general conditions - the illegitimacy of the state and its apparatus, social/economic decline, lawlessness, violence, contempt for authority - civil war is one.
It is perhaps too much to say we are in one, but the idea elucidates much.

Perhaps it is a low grade civil war, perhaps these are the general conditions for a war to come.
But, if you want to understand South Africa today, the frame of reference of a civil war, as depressing as it is, is extremely helpful.
And no less disturbing.

The people have turned on the state, and the state has turned on the people.
Both destroy the state.
The one from the bottom, the other from the top.
Soon these two forces will meet in the middle.
When they do, it won't be pretty.

The pretence that we are a modern, constitutional democracy does much to hold SA together.
We analyse things in relation to formal democratic principles and ideas, and that is good and necessary.
But you risk sacrificing the big picture if you ignore the informal.

Most often it is between the lines that the real story lies - in our case, it is in the utter contempt, both from the state and also from the people, for the basic norms and standards that a constitution assumes rather than prescribes, that reality is to be found.
Use that as your frame of reference, and things both make better sense, and will horrify you.

All this in a leadership vacuum, a black hole of convictionless rhetoric that animates rather than soothes fear and uncertainty.
It's a potent cocktail, if ever there was one.

The presumption seems to be, among those that would lead us, that policies and promises are the solution.
Those matter, but until the SA leadership starts effectively to address to the things that now lurk between the lines, the situation will not improve.

These things are in control.
Unless you recognise them and address them directly, they will burn ever brighter.
It is the real test of leadership today: to speak to gaps in our democracy, for they are quickly becoming chasms, and soon enough, everything will fall into them.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Most are aware of the huge amounts of load shedding, (power cuts,) that has occurred over the last year or so.
Most of this was due to governmental incompetence, or as it's become known here, SOP.
Political appointments for leaders of public services, corrupt deals for coal, refusal to allow qualified personnel to maintain and repair the infrastructure, the list goes on.

Now Eskom, having failed to deliver as much electricity as was required, find they can only bill people for the electricity used.
This has unsurprisingly resulted in a much smaller pot of money from which they can steal.
Which must be annoying.

Never fear, a solution to the Eskom problem has been found !
It's so simple it's incredible they didn't come up with it sooner.

Idleness being the mother of all theft,
everyone simply pays much, much more for the electricity they did receive and Eskom's directors' incomes are once again assured.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Things get better and better.
For some.

BREAKING - THE PENSION GRAB PLANNED APPROVED !

The "liberal" business body, Business Unity South Africa - BUSA, Cosatu and the ANC government have reached an agreement and drew up a framework document which will "voluntarily mobilize savings" such as pension funds to support Eskom to pay off its debt of R450 billion, reports the newspaper Business Day on Friday.

The newspaper reports that a framework document has been drawn up on Thursday by a joint committee consisting of the aforementioned parties, but apparently still has to be officially approved by the different parties.
(Possibly there's too small a backhander being offered at present.)

Business Day reports that the hastily drawn up pension grab plan will be included in Pres Ramaphosa's State of the Union speech next week.

At this stage it looks like private pension funds and the Government Employee's Pension Fund will all be affected.
The negotiator on behalf of BUSA was Martin Kingston, the deputy chairman of BUSA and the CEO of Rothschild South Africa, a well known bankster company that has existed since forever and probably own half the world's capital.
One would have thought that liberal elitist capitalists like Rothschild would have respected other people's money but yet they have colluded with communists to take what does not belong to them.
There goes your pension whilst the militant labour unions and business elites like those in BUSA continue to eat at the trough of taxpayer and now pension funds.

You lucky people. Living in a vast social experiment where few of the fixed values are particularly positive has always indicated a tricky outcome.
My sympathies.

Latest Threads