South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No.
PW Botha Hoerskool and Airport in George existed back then.
Lots of other stadia, roads, suburbs also got 'the treatment'.
Schools I can understand, especially if the person named has donated or supported it in some special way.
Maybe the ruling on roads was purely local, I just came across it in several areas of Natal, PWV and Cape Province. (Noord-Kaap & Wes-Kaap.)

Gustinkovski

Clanker
Just heard from a mate near Fourways, JNB. Her suburb as well as the surrounding area pretty much shut down by squatters mobbing the area and blocking roads on Friday.

Eventually cops and military choppered in to clear the area. Press apparently kept out and govt very quiet about the incident. Nothing on TV or in the papers. Usual cANCer shell game being played to mislead the west and make out everything is just fucking peachy while anarchy is the order of the day and the law abiding are locked in to remain safe.

Zim scenario early stages being played out. Economy is already in the shit under these arseclowns. Won't be long before they start adding zeros to banknotes.
I looked at renting a place in Fourways back in 1989, it was a really quiet place then. As it happens it worked out well because it was too much for me and I ended up renting a room at a friends partners place in Germiston. Hanneke who, during late night chats over a beer or two gave me a great education in the history of SA, leading up to that point and also how to behave whilst I was living there. I left hoping to return with better finances but other things happened.

Last edited:

Penguin142

War Hero
I looked at renting a place in Fourways back in 1989, it was a really quiet place then. As it happens it worked out well because it was too much for me and I ended up renting a room at a friends partners place in Germiston. Hanneke who, during late night chats over a beer two gave me a great education in the history of SA, leading up to that point and also how to behave whilst I was living there. I left hoping to return with better finances but other things happened.
You lie like a cheap watch, there is no way it was only a beer or two, more like a six pack each! Or have you signed the pledge?

Gustinkovski

Clanker
You lie like a cheap watch, there is no way it was only a beer or two, more like a six pack each! Or have you signed the pledge?
Uh oh ! I've been outed and yes it was more that a couple, however she couldn't drink too much because she was on some sort of medication, having had polio as a child.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
An old friend of mine has returned to S.A to visit her family, she said the countries airline was running late as usual ( she used to work for the luftwaffe over there )
and they are going down the pan, have just been granted 136 million dollars despite being near to collapse, and have purchased a fleet of Airbus A350-900 planes ????

when she arrived at the family home, the power was off, and is now intermittent , in fact its so bad they have an app to warn of power outages

Meanwhile Fat Cyril has pissed of to Cuba for a nice Christmas break
no doubt on a private jet
I hope he stays there

Penguin142

War Hero
[

Meanwhile Fat Cyril has pissed of to Cuba for a nice Christmas break
no doubt on a private jet
I hope he stays there
[/QUOTE]
Actually Egypt, and he is back, but what he can do is not clear, he will not ever recruit competent (white) engineers to do the maintenance and repairs, and spend the budget on spares.

An old friend of mine has returned to S.A to visit her family, she said the countries airline was running late as usual ( she used to work for the luftwaffe over there )
and they are going down the pan, have just been granted 136 million dollars despite being near to collapse, and have purchased a fleet of Airbus A350-900 planes ????
Totally the wrong plane for the flights they make, apparently.
And 136 million dollars? Surely you jest? MUCH more than that.
SAA is the ONLY major airline which DOESN'T fly direct from Europe to Cape Town the tourist mecca...
Why? Well, rumour is that it is designed to stiff the Democratic Alliance-controlled province.

when she arrived at the family home, the power was off, and is now intermittent , in fact its so bad they have an app to warn of power outages
Yep.
But that can change at a moment's notice.
On Monday, power wen off a six pm. With 10 minutes warning. And stayed off til 10pm.
Lovely.
Last night, supposed to go off at 8, for 2 hrs.
It didn't.
Try planning your day round that!
(Today, was off from 4am to 6, and now due at 20h00 til 22h30.
BUT may cut out at 12h00 til 14h30.
Businesses - especially retailers - are screaming.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yep.
On Monday, power wen off a six pm. With 10 minutes warning. And stayed off til 10pm.
Lovely.
It didn't.
Discussing this earlier, especially the furore with Zim.

For those not aware, the Zimbabwe government has an agreement with Eskom to supply them electricity, so far so good.
The first problem is that they're defaulting to the tune of three hundred million Rand.
However that sum pales into insignificance now they've found out that Zim had run it's own cables through the Limpopo and had for fifteen years been robbing electricity too.
About two billion Rand worth.
Per year !

One of the articles said, "it is not clear if there is any South African involved in this"
As if...

anglo

LE
Yep.
Lovely.
It didn't.
How does the gold mines cope with that, having several thousand men deep underground,
must be a frecking nightmare

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
How does the gold mines cope with that, having several thousand men deep underground,
Their own generation plant.

Never mind the "South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route..

We might need a 'United Kingdom gone down teh Zimbabwe route' on Friday

They don't.
They won't send men down.

"We certainly can't risk any attempt at production with this level of power," a spokesman for the platinum miner said.

Once you've lost a day's production, you don't get it back.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Quite right Whiskybreath, we did that strange European ritual every quarter called maintenance and testing.
It'll never catch on.

Just ask SAA.

Penguin142

War Hero
They don't.
They won't send men down.

If there is an unexpected loss of Eskom, most mines have enough installed back up power to run the Man Winder or Mary Anne, possibly at reduced speed and some ventilation fans. In the case of deeper mines such as the Carletonville ones, a staggered winding could apply, bringing crews from a tertiary shaft to the secondary, then up the primary shaft. Very tedious, except that the higher levels are usually worked out, so there would only be secondary staff, like pump attendants there. It is a pain in the nether regions, but can be done. Luckily, I never had to do the exercise when I was there.

Latest Threads