South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Police had their own semi auto R1 with fixed stock. Folding stock was para IIRC. In any case, full auto wasn't something we did. Just weren't trained for it except on the MAG and anyone dumb enough to hit the wrong selector setting on the range would spend a couple of hours becoming extremely fit in addition to the run back to camp.

Even on ops it was frowned upon as something stupid. Cardinal rule was to identify your target and know what you were shooting at.

The US head-down-blatting-away-at-a-distant-target-on-full-auto thing we see on footage of the Iraq war was verboten and would earn you ridicule and an enhanced fitness regime.
Folding stock, semi-auto limited edition for para's, as an interrum weapon while the next-gen (R4/5) was being developed. LEW (Lyttleton Engineering Works) were having some issues with pre-prod R4's and the R3 was rushed into use to fill the gap. Never intended as a full-on weapon and only produced for about 3 years AFAICR.

Even on MAG's, bursts of two or three rounds were preferred to full mong. We trained by trying to keep a Coke can (other soft drinks were available) bouncing in the air with the minimum of rounds.

As an aside - the use of tracer was also a no-no because the rounds did not truly reflect the trajectory of FMJ rounds, and the risk of veld fires. As was WP (White Phosphorus) for the fire thang. Both could result in fitness regimes for individuals outwith the norms of second-phase training requirements.

Folding stock, semi-auto limited edition for para's, as an interrum weapon while the next-gen (R4/5) was being developed. LEW (Lyttleton Engineering Works) were having some issues with pre-prod R4's and the R3 was rushed into use to fill the gap. Never intended as a full-on weapon and only produced for about 3 years AFAICR.

Even on MAG's, bursts of two or three rounds were preferred to full mong. We trained by trying to keep a Coke can (other soft drinks were available) bouncing in the air with the minimum of rounds.

As an aside - the use of tracer was also a no-no because the rounds did not truly reflect the trajectory of FMJ rounds, and the risk of veld fires. As was WP (White Phosphorus) for the fire thang. Both could result in fitness regimes for individuals outwith the norms of second-phase training requirements.
I remember doing single shots on target on the range by tapping the trigger. Bit of competiton to see who could do it without a second or third round going downrange and also actually hit the Fig 11 at 100m. Wasn't easy but it did teach you to control your fire.

Only time I saw a lot of tracer was end of basics braai when a corporal loaded up a couple of mags with it and let rip on full auto with the R1 into the rock hard winter ground a few metres in front of him for an impromptu firework display of cartwheeling tracer rounds.

What it did to the barrel can't have been pretty.

ETA: Single shots tapping the trigger were from the standing position. My then matchstick schoolkid arms with the cardboard cut out Bluebottle style muscles were wobbling all over the shop trying to keep a MAG and belt of 7.62 on target.

Last edited:
I remember doing single shots on target on the range by tapping the trigger. Bit of competiton to see who could do it without a second or third round going downrange and also actually hit the Fig 11 at 100m. Wasn't easy but it did teach you to control your fire.

Only time I saw a lot of tracer was end of basics braai when a corporal loaded up a couple of mags with it and let rip on full auto with the R1 into the rock hard winter ground a few metres in front of him for an impromptu firework display of cartwheeling tracer rounds.

What it did to the barrel can't have been pretty.
Competition......600 Yards, Range Officer leans down and says in my ear "Two rounds from now on, do that again and you will be disqualified".

I also shot a perfect ripple on Deerpark, RTR officer patted me on the back and said he had never seen such good shooting..... and I got 10/15.... challenged and lost.... But i know I hit all 15.

And my last 2 years...... did the Regiment take advantage of my skill to coach a bad shot.... no, I ended up bullet counting...... obviously my Minolta Binos were a big hit with the CO "At last the Army have issued some decent gear", "Yes Sir, can I have my glasses back now sir".

Last edited:
Just heard from a mate near Fourways, JNB. Her suburb as well as the surrounding area pretty much shut down by squatters mobbing the area and blocking roads on Friday.

..the whole suburb of Bloubosrand was literally brought to a standstill as thousands of squatters converged on pre-designated areas bringing everything from N1 to Lanseria (Malibongwe) and Witkoppen - (Northgate to Fourways) to a total standstill by blocking off the streets and stopping traffic...
Eventually cops and military choppered in to clear the area. Press apparently kept out and govt very quiet about the incident. Nothing on TV or in the papers. Usual cANCer shell game being played to mislead the west and make out everything is just fucking peachy while anarchy is the order of the day and the law abiding are locked in to remain safe.

Zim scenario early stages being played out. Economy is already in the shit under these arseclowns. Won't be long before they start adding zeros to banknotes.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just heard from a mate near Fourways, JNB. Her suburb as well as the surrounding area pretty much shut down by squatters mobbing the area and blocking roads on Friday.

Eventually cops and military choppered in to clear the area. Press apparently kept out and govt very quiet about the incident. Nothing on TV or in the papers. Usual cANCer shell game being played to mislead the west and make out everything is just fucking peachy while anarchy is the order of the day and the law abiding are locked in to remain safe.

Zim scenario early stages being played out. Economy is already in the shit under these arseclowns. Won't be long before they start adding zeros to banknotes.
Incidents like this are increasing exponentially, and the ANC's Px ban does nothing to help it.

I suppose SABC and the other outlets could benefit from people sending in footage taken on cellphones, the major problem being as soon as a smartphone makes an appearance it's scaled by some skellum who gaps it off op die pad.

Might work if the SABC didn't have the alternative title of the voice of the ANC. If the thieving clown show wants it kept quiet, the SABC remains schtumm.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Might work if the SABC didn't have the alternative title of the voice of the ANC. If the thieving clown show wants it kept quiet, the SABC remains schtumm.
True story, but MNet or whoever the evidence just needs txing.