South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

How many people, total, around the world do you think actually care about what is going on in SA?
Considering this is British Army-based site, and there was a huge influx of Brits into SA back in the 70s, many of whom are related to serving chaps of that era; that it is in a close time zone, so cheap holidays are available; that many Saffers live in Britain and interact with Brits; and that Uk is still one of the biggest trade partners....
As for the rest of the world, many are waking up to the fact the "Mandela Honeymoon" is long over, and see it is another potential 'failed state'.

Considering this is British Army-based site, and there was a huge influx of Brits into SA back in the 70s, many of whom are related to serving chaps of that era; that it is in a close time zone, so cheap holidays are available; that many Saffers live in Britain and interact with Brits; and that Uk is still one of the biggest trade partners....
As for the rest of the world, many are waking up to the fact the "Mandela Honeymoon" is long over, and see it is another potential 'failed state'.
Considering the world is home to over 6 billion souls, a few thousand with connections to SA living in the UK is less than a drop in the ocean.
Considering that the effect of Aparteid on the world north of the Limpopo was to create a couple of generations rock solid in their belief that the ANC are the 'chosen', a few thousand with connections to SA living in the UK is not going to change the narrative about who the ANC really are.
Wake up! The 'world' just doesn't care about the suffering in Zimbabwe and South Africa. And no amount of 'wenweism' or self-gratifying 'told you so' by expats on this forum or elsewhere is going to change that.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Considering that the effect of Aparteid on the world north of the Limpopo was to create a couple of generations rock solid in their belief that the ANC are the 'chosen', a few thousand with connections to SA living in the UK is not going to change the narrative about who the ANC really are.
Hardly only Apartheid.

Wake up! The 'world' just doesn't care about the suffering in Zimbabwe and South Africa. And no amount of 'wenweism' or self-gratifying 'told you so' by expats on this forum or elsewhere is going to change that.
I'm not sure where you are going with your post, is there a point to it, or do you just need to get something off your chest ?

Hardly only Apartheid.
Take away apartheid and there is no basis for the western cultural, sporting and political assault on South Africa. 2 generations of kids in the 'west' were brought up believing 'whites' in South Africa were vilians and the 'black' ANC were the saviours. Kids in the 'east' just believed whatever their communist masters told them.

I'm not sure where you are going with your post, is there a point to it, or do you just need to get something off your chest ?
It is the conversation flowing from...
I still can't get my head around why the world is refusing to acknowledge that SA is royally fooked.
The vast majority of the world's population doesn't care two hoots. Of the miniscule minority that does, the vast majority of them will side with the ANC out of ignorance and societal conditionning from the cradle.

In what way is it interesting?
What do you take away from that data?
What data does the IMF suggest for the UK?
Compare and contrast....
Yes, you're right. It means nothing at all. Nobody can delve deeper and find any relevant fact. I feel ashamed at even seeing it now. My deepest apologies.

Yes, you're right. It means nothing at all. Nobody can delve deeper and find any relevant fact. I feel ashamed at even seeing it now. My deepest apologies.
My questions were posted seriously in an attempt to understand what exactly you took out of that graphic.

The instant and superficial observation is that the SA economy is clearly a basket case. Look how poorly they are doing compared to other broken African states! Trouble is, adding in the UK data - and using the same logic - suggest the UK economy is not just up shit creek but choosing to go there without a paddle too.

IMF data (October 2018, World Economic Outlook)
2017 estimated: SA 1.3%, UK 1.8%
2018 estimated: SA 0.8%, UK 1.4%
2019 predicted: SA 1.4%, UK 1.5%
2020 predicted: SA 1.7%, UK 1.6%

The January 2019 edition of the IMF's World Economic Outlook follows with...
There is substantial uncertainty around the baseline projection of about 1.5 percent growth in the United Kingdom in 2019-20. The unchanged projection relative to the October 2018 WEO reflects the offsetting negative effect of prolonged uncertainty about the Brexit outcome and the positive impact from fiscal stimulus announced in the 2019 budget. This baseline projection assumes that a Brexit deal is reached in 2019 and that the UK transitions gradually to the new regime. However, as of mid-January, the shape that Brexit will ultimately take remains highly uncertain.
So, based upon an instant and superficial observation of that graphic, the SA economy and UK economy have a similar trajectory. But if brexit occurs with no deal, the SA economy will seem quite rosy to the UK one. If only it were that simple!

My questions were posted seriously in an attempt to understand what exactly you took out of that graphic.

The instant and superficial observation is that the SA economy is clearly a basket case. Look how poorly they are doing compared to other broken African states! Trouble is, adding in the UK data - and using the same logic - suggest the UK economy is not just up shit creek but choosing to go there without a paddle too.

So, based upon an instant and superficial observation of that graphic, the SA economy and UK economy have a similar trajectory. But if brexit occurs with no deal, the SA economy will seem quite rosy to the UK one. If only it were that simple!
Indeed a possibility. See, a bit of research opened up a new world to you.

Agree.

When you compare the growth rates of relatively mature economies (which for Africa, SA is) with other developing economies, of course the growth rate will be slower.

Not saying that SA is in a bit of mess right and couldn't do better but still. You really can't compare places which are growing fast (purely % wise) because they didn't have much development in the past . Yes, SA is wobbling a bit now - since mid 90s?. Still in the overall context, it is a mid/ high level country in lots of aspects.

p.s: was speaking to a saffer earlier today at a bus stop here in London and he echoes most of the comments posted here. Just FYI.

Make it yourself, its pretty simple. Then you can control the taste spiciness and dryness. Cheaper and customisable.

My grandmother taught me when I was a boy, and we always took in back to school with us. I sent it to my lads when they were in school, and now my grand-daughters are always asking for it, as neither of my lads seem inclined, and have always liked Dad’s, lazy gits. It is a bit of a ‘Marmite’ thing, neither of my daughters-in-law liked it nor did my wife.

I have used this, and do have it in the cupboard but generally now simply use Black Pepper, Coriander, Garlic salt, and Chili powder.

I use Silverside with no fat at all. My marinade is mainly Malt Vineger, some Balsamic, some Soy Sauce, Tobasco and, L&P's Worcestershire sauce. Make that to taste, then marinade your meat strips in that in a zip lock plastic bag in the fridge for at least 12 hours.

Pat dry with paper towels then season with your spices then dry. I do have a desicator but a Biltong drying box is a very simple build, Youtube is your friend. In Kenya and Saudi I air-dried in the sun.