South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Another bloody myth which keeps getting perpetrated.
Do you think that in the last 100 or so years, that no matter how badly the Abos have been treated (and they have) that a western society would allow people to be treated that way and turn a blind eye to it?
Yes. starting with the Jews & other "undesirables" in Germany prior to WW2 & continuing through to the "ethnic cleansing" in FRY less than 30 years ago.

In the sixties one of my school teachers had spent some time in Tasmania, he mentioned that pre WWII a popular Sunday past-time was to go Boon hunting, ie hunt and shoot aborigines.
Anecdotally, in my past life as a controls and automation engineer we had a sparky on strength who had worked in the mines in RSA during the '80s. He said that the Brit-descended SAs treated the blacks reasonably well but the Afrikaaners were right bastards to the extent that they would, on a boozy post-brai Sunday afternoon, sit out and wait for a passing target of black opportunity, hail him to the effect that there was a few rand in it to come and take the bins down to the gate or somesuch and then, once the hapless victim was inside the boundary, take pot-shots. Apparently it was entirely legal to shoot black trespassers. Of course, the giggling pissed-up Boers would forget that they'd called the corpse in through the gate and so he was technically not trespassing at that time.

Whether that suffered some embellishment due to time and prejudice I don't know but it gels with other things I've heard/read of the period.

Apropos of nothing, he also related a tale that, on joining the mine, there was a party to welcome the new intake and on driving home down a dark road a black on a bike had shot out from the shadows, been clipped by his car and sent flying. Our sparky stopped, as the inexperienced ex-pat might, sees there's no damage to his car and asked the guy if he was alright. "Yes, baas," and off he went.

Next morning sparky's wife is all, "Do you think we should report it?" so he stops off at the nick on the way to work. Desk cop is taking the details and when sparky says, "Of course, I stopped to see if he was alright but hi just said "Yes, baas" and disappeared into the darkness."

"He said, "Yes, baas...?" Was he blick?"

"Well, yes as it happens"

Forms torn in half and binned; "No problem, meneer. That's all fine. Mind how you go, now."

Anecdotally, in my past life as a controls and automation engineer we had a sparky on strength who had worked in the mines in RSA during the '80s. He said that the Brit-descended SAs treated the blacks reasonably well but the Afrikaaners were right bastards to the extent that they would, on a boozy post-brai Sunday afternoon, sit out and wait for a passing target of black opportunity, hail him to the effect that there was a few rand in it to come and take the bins down to the gate or somesuch and then, once the hapless victim was inside the boundary, take pot-shots. Apparently it was entirely legal to shoot black trespassers. Of course, the giggling pissed-up Boers would forget that they'd called the corpse in through the gate and so he was technically not trespassing at that time.

Whether that suffered some embellishment due to time and prejudice I don't know but it gels with other things I've heard/read of the period...

Never heard of people doing that. I'd say embellished. Shooting any trespasser would have got you in court on manslaughter charges to defend your actions, as would hitting and killing anyone in your vehicle. By the late 80s many restrictive laws had already been lifted including the mixed marriage act and pass laws and things were heading towards a less restrictive society.

There was an incident at the time where a couple of pissed up arsewads in a pickup had taken a pot shot at a group of people waiting for a taxi. As I recall both were imprisoned after trial.

As for treatment of people, that would vary on a case by case basis. Most had grown up with black people and many Afrikaners (and English speaking) spoke a black language. Schools (except very expensive private schools who had many black scholarship pupils as well as the children of wealthy black folks) were segregated but early childhood saw many in rural areas growing up with friends of all races. That said, a lot of expats working in SA didn't really get black people and as a result their treatment of them was worse than those who had grown up in SA. Went out with a Yorkshire girl in the '80s and the treatment by her family of domestic workers was arse clenching. Saw a few other instances of very bad treatment by expats while most of the locally grown folks were fair but strict or things turned to ratshit quickly if left unchecked. Small things had to be caught and nipped in the bud early or it got out of hand very quickly, which was a possible reason for poor treatment by expats who had been bitten when not paying attention.

Historically SA is a complicated place. A system was tried which was not perfect but served to stave off the worst excesses of Africa for a while. It was slowly moving towards becoming less restrictive but those who had little experience of the place deemed it unworkable and required that the system which is currently destroying the country take its place. Balancing what is fair and what borders on suicidal is not easy.

Strangely enough, the former regime jumped ship, dissolved the political platform on which they operated and joined the current bunch of arseclowns within a couple of years of the change of govt. The current political opposition evolved from the mainly English speaking party who opposed the former regime and were instrumental in causing relaxation of exclusionary policies back in the day. As mentioned, it's complicated.

Last edited:
Not so much NZ, hence the 'some places' in my post. It does appear after a quick sniff around that the aspect of the hunting being legal in Oz was an urban myth, although there was a bounty on some indigenous people in Tasmania from what I can gather.
No idea about Aus or NZ, but it definitely happened in America. IIRC a lot of people got rich by crossing the Mexican border and scalping civvies - the people paying the bounties couldn't tell Mexican hair from Native American hair, and the Mexicans weren't quite as warry as Apache.

No idea about Aus or NZ, but it definitely happened in America. IIRC a lot of people got rich by crossing the Mexican border and scalping civvies - the people paying the bounties couldn't tell Mexican hair from Native American hair, and the Mexicans weren't quite as warry as Apache.
It's conveniently glossed over that the Apache themselves were invading, murderous thugs who massacred Zuni, Pueblo & other indian groups in significant numbers.

Whether that suffered some embellishment due to time and prejudice I don't know but it gels with other things I've heard/read of the period.

Apropos of nothing, he also related a tale that, on joining the mine, there was a party to welcome the new intake and on driving home down a dark road a black on a bike had shot out from the shadows, been clipped by his car and sent flying. Our sparky stopped, as the inexperienced ex-pat might, sees there's no damage to his car and asked the guy if he was alright. "Yes, baas," and off he went.

Next morning sparky's wife is all, "Do you think we should report it?" so he stops off at the nick on the way to work. Desk cop is taking the details and when sparky says, "Of course, I stopped to see if he was alright but hi just said "Yes, baas" and disappeared into the darkness."

Forms torn in half and binned; "No problem, meneer. That's all fine. Mind how you go, now."
Sorry to tell you that's bullshit [I worked SA mining in 70/80s]

No doubt there will be jubilation now that the ANC has moved on to a more "nuanced" message concerning land ownership.

Gwede Mantashe, chairman of the ANC, offered clarity of purpose in an interview earlier this week

(I) Nobody should own more than 25,000 acres of land

(II) Any excess over that to be taken without compensation.

So that's all OK then

Sorry to tell you that's bullshit [I worked SA mining in 70/80s]
I had been wondering. Sub-contract sparkies were a breed I always held in the deepest suspicion, if not contempt, even back then in my naive youth.

No doubt there will be jubilation now that the ANC has moved on to a more "nuanced" message concerning land ownership.

Gwede Mantashe, chairman of the ANC, offered clarity of purpose in an interview earlier this week

So that's all OK then
That'll kill off most of the game reserves then, thus exponentially accelerating the decline in African wildlife & depriving thousands of black Africans of their jobs & a sustainable source of protein.
Back to endemic poaching & bushmeat...

So that's all OK then
It is the start of a realization of the impact and consequences of what they proposed and is a big improvement to be frank. It's somewhat hard to dial back to sanity instantly. Meanwhile this still nueters the patriotic people's front or the peoples patriotic front or the front for people's patriotism..

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

There's an English word for this, what is it now...?

Ah yes I remember, it's "bollocks."