South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

Nope.
But nobody went into the troublespots without a lot of firepower AND some serious backup.

Casspir - the unfriendly ghost.

Although the second pic looks more Buffel than Casspir...

Mostly in a peacekeeping role. Keeping factions off each others' throats and protecting public and property when riots kicked off was 99% of the job. The other 1% was keeping the cops from being qunts.

Yes.
The 'serious backup'.
The Casspirs were known as Mello Yellos, after a popular cooldrink.
Nowt mellow about a mine-resistant armoured box full of stern-faced men with guns!

Nowt mellow about a mine-resistant armoured box full of stern-faced men with guns!
Nope. Especially when the police were known to be headcases.
I had the misfortune of NOT working alongside the SA Police, but an even worse bunch of muppets - the Ciskeians!

This was after my time, but you get the idea...

Every patrol was nominally under command of a cop. Most were OK but the odd plonker showed up and tried it on a bit. Usually ignored unless they did something stupid in which case they were stepped on. Think we bliksemed more cops than rioters on the couple of camps I did as riot control.

Had one trying to rough up an old lady. Couple of big Dutchies stepped in and leaned on him until he desisted. There was a bit of squealing about reporting them to his CO when we got back to the station but he appeared to have dozed off while debussing the Buffel, possibly as a result of the boot between his shoulder blades assisting him off. Nothing further was heard.

Most of the patrols consisted of com ops and waving at the locals. Did the odd shebeen raid at the insistence of the cop on the wagon and the main thing there was keeping them from nicking the booze. Found a bit of stolen property and took away the bloke who had it for questioning. More police stuff than anything else. Riots were merely observed and the only time we were allowed to step in was if they began killing each other. Most who did township duty had fairly quiet tours.

The thing that really sparked off the violence was arrival of press and foreign camera crews. Peaceful protest would turn nasty in seconds as they monged it up for the cameras.

Every patrol was nominally under command of a cop. Most were OK but the odd plonker showed up and tried it on a bit. Usually ignored unless they did something stupid in which case they were stepped on. Think we bliksemed more cops than rioters on the couple of camps I did as riot control.
The fun and games in the homelands went similar.
Normally the 'Kapos' (Ciskei Police) did something thuggish or silly, the residents went ape, and it was on the phone to send reinforcements.
Then the Kapos would retire to a safe distance.
Everybody hated them. Residents, SAP, SADF...
A lot of them are still involved, with senior rank, in the SAPS.

Just following this thread, and not having a dog in the fight, is still slightly depressing.
There was so much optimism, when Mandela was released, presented to the outside world. For a few years the Rainbow Nation appeared to be evolving nicely.
And so quickly it seems to be going the same way as Zimbabwe ie down the toilet.

I had mentally penned in SA as a 'must visit' place but don't think I will bother now.
A shame.

even the golf courses got a bit lively at times !
View attachment 326250

Rhodesia.

I think plenty of people failed to share the naive optimism at the time, and knew exactly where it was all going to go.
Mainly those who actually lived there. Those safely in their ivory towers overseas got what the media wanted them to see. The political types and the wealthy in safe guarded suburbs with mobs of armed guards tended to be insulated from the reality to a large degree and many left when shit got real.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 20555

Talking about mortars. ...

I worked once with a bloke who was an ex SA copper. He told me that him and his squad were sent somewhere for a bit of deterrence. Doing riot drills etc in front of a very big township.
He explained that if they got attacked and overwhelmed that they had mortars hidden in depth that would have just blasted them all.

Can't verify but seemed plausible
He was lying.

Zimbabwe.

Mainly those who actually lived there. Those safely in their ivory towers overseas got what the media wanted them to see. The political types and the wealthy in safe guarded suburbs with mobs of armed guards tended to be insulated from the reality to a large degree and many left when shit got real.

I don't think there are any excuses for those overseas.

Ghana received independence in 1957, and immediately plunged into Marxist-inspired dictatorship. This was followed by decades of the dictatorship-coup cycle, human rights abuse and economic self-immolation.

Every other African country duly followed suit.

By Mandela's release in 1990, pretty much the whole of the rest of the African continent had reverted to poverty- and violence-stricken misgoverned shambles, and had been that way for decades. Rhodesia's fate was the final, stark, regional and cultural evidence on display.

Only the seriously self-deluded (a very large demographic*, largely of those with liberal-left beliefs) could honestly believe that there'd be any other outcome in SA, given the virtually 100% evidence weighting to the contrary.

*(Mind you, much the same demographic, having shunned the evidence of two thousand years of human social and economic history, is currently denying the reality of a few million years of evolutionary biology. I guess that anticipating liberal democratic government in Africa is small beer in the grand scale of things...)

That's all rather depressing
Oh yes!
What time frame are they talking, this year or next?

Those blasted British heh?
In truth we were naughty buggers in our time.
But just now, there are parts of the world I wish we could be again.
In a caring, sharing, non- colonial way, naturally.

Perhaps the only answer is (for Africa) fu-k them, and prepare to repel boarders with extreme prejudice when the shit flows north? We've extinguished our conscience, did our bit and look where it has got to? Any help should be on our terms now with some payback.

Harsh but really...?

Oh yes!
What time frame are they talking, this year or next?

Good question. All I know is that once the tipping point is reached, it all happens quickly.

Working entirely from pretty Tourist guff my idiot brother in law is thinking of an extended touring holiday starting from Cape Town in early November. Intends to hire a vehicle and planning to explore "off the beaten track. "

"Better stay away from the Cape Flats " says I jokingly.

"Wassat?"

Not.

A.

Fcuking.

Clue.