South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

They tried that before when they had the power, and lost. This time, if it kicks off, they don't have the power and they will lose again, but it will be a bloodbath no doubt.
Mandela's vision only lasted as long as he was in power and while he was alive.

You misunderstood my conjecture. I didn't mean that the whites would somehow retake control of the whole country; rather that they concentrate in one part of the country - thus creating a white/ white-ish majority enclave - and perhaps carve off an independent statelet of their own.

I know that it has been mentioned earlier in this thread but, when, not if the shit hits the fan there, can the white folks become refugees, or is that the sole choice of the darker-hued of this world.

IIRC there was a book (fiction) written about the consequences of the cold war heating up to the stage where most of Britain & Europe had been made uninhabitable following a nuclear strike and the USA had closed its borders, forcing some desperate souls to sail to Africa, Nigeria mainly, to claim Asylum. Again IIRC they did not get welcomed with open arms, in fact quite the reverse!
But try as I might I cannot find any references to it on google.

You misunderstood my conjecture. I didn't mean that the whites would somehow retake control of the whole country; rather that they concentrate in one part of the country - thus creating a white/ white-ish majority enclave - and perhaps carve off an independent statelet of their own.
They'd have to do an Israel basically, and I don't see how that could possibly work in the modern world, there's no way western counties would let a new white run country come into being.
Maybe if this Afrikaaner statelet allied itself sharpish with China?

Blue sky thinking......

Pick a nice part of SA........... offer some of it to Israel as an overspill Promised Land.

"What do you see ?"

"Zulus, sah, 'undreds and farsands of 'em......"

BOOOOOOOOM, BLINDING FLASH OF LIGHT

"Stand down Hooky...."

If you put it that way.....then yes, although you and no doubt others will deny it.
Anybody who lived in SA during the period leading up to the elections or "transition to democracy" as some hoped it would be, (the first point obviously excludes you) will know that the SADF was "facing the wrong way" geared to protecting the country's borders.

Although, as an " outside expert", if you know of any pitched battles, campaigns etc, other than riot control please elucidate.

I'm not holding my breath.

Anybody who lived in SA during the period leading up to the elections or "transition to democracy" as some hoped it would be, (the first point obviously excludes you) will know that the SADF was "facing the wrong way" geared to protecting the country's borders.

Although, as an " outside expert", if you know of any pitched battles, campaigns etc, other than riot control please elucidate.

I'm not holding my breath.
Indeed.

During the apartheid era of 1948-1994 circa 21,000 black people were killed. 14,000 were black-on-black deaths in the political violence from 1990-1994.

So even if the remaining 7,000 over a period of fourty-six years were solely attributable to the SADF it would seemingly indicate a lack of genocidal tendencies!

Edit: that or they weren't deserving of their reputation as an efficient fighting force!

The shock and surprise of those strident western demonstrators who thought it would be a Utopian paradise would be quite funny if they ever gave it even a second's thought once their objective was achieved. Even funnier if they were made to live with the consequences.

Pilate washing his hands springs to mind...

That's all rather depressing
The first 30 minutes of that comprised pretty well most of the African history I remember from the school I briefly attended in Dar-es-Salaam. After that our history lessons diverged from the opinions of Mr Roche fairly radically...

So it's back to the Martini Henry, backed up with mortars and Jimpys.
Talking about mortars. ...

I worked once with a bloke who was an ex SA copper. He told me that him and his squad were sent somewhere for a bit of deterrence. Doing riot drills etc in front of a very big township.
He explained that if they got attacked and overwhelmed that they had mortars hidden in depth that would have just blasted them all.

Can't verify but seemed plausible

Talking about mortars. ...

I worked once with a bloke who was an ex SA copper. He told me that him and his squad were sent somewhere for a bit of deterrence. Doing riot drills etc in front of a very big township.
He explained that if they got attacked and overwhelmed that they had mortars hidden in depth that would have just blasted them all.

Can't verify but seemed plausible
Sounds a bit doubtful Maybe that’s what they were told at the cop shop before they went out on the drills but.......

Sounds a bit doubtful Maybe that’s what they were told at the cop shop before they went out on the drills but.......
It wasn't so much fire support as so much as if the coppers got overrun everyone got the good news .

They were not messing about that was for sure

As I say it isn't my tale and I have no clue if the SA police had mortars or not.

It wasn't so much fire support as so much as if the coppers got overrun everyone got the good news .

They were not messing about that was for sure

As I say it isn't my tale and I have no clue if the SA police had mortars or not.
Nope.
But nobody went into the troublespots without a lot of firepower AND some serious backup.

Casspir - the unfriendly ghost.