South Africa gone down the Zimbabwe route.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I feel your frustration. Wonder how the silly bastards who left SA, then failed to settle and went back feel now.

Friend left SA and went to NZ then decided to have an extended holiday in UK. They spent the first week in London, changed their tickets and went back to NZ.

I feel your frustration. Wonder how the silly bastards who left SA, then failed to settle and went back feel now.
I know a couple of those , quite a few are getting out of here again . Where are you now ?

edit - see you are in Canada. My sister and brother in law have a holiday home on Vancouver Island , though they live in Tasmania. Clearly I went the wrong way lol .

Friend left SA and went to NZ then decided to have an extended holiday in UK. They spent the first week in London, changed their tickets and went back to NZ.
Had a student last week. Icelandic. Quite a few from SA seem to have thrown a dart on a map and gone where it landed. So there is biltong in Iceland.

I did hear of a couple from Rhodesia who did the same in 1980 . They hit the bloody Falklands , went there and in 82 but I think that is a myth.
the chap from Iceland was 100% gen.

Had a student last week. Icelandic. Quite a few from SA seem to have thrown a dart on a map and gone where it landed. So there is biltong in Iceland.

I did hear of a couple from Rhodesia who did the same in 1980 . They hit the bloody Falklands , went there and in 82 but I think that is a myth.
the chap from Iceland was 100% gen.
There have got to a couple of blokes who were in the Rhodesian Army in the 70s and then in the British Army or Royal Marines in the Falklands in 82?

A friend of mine was part of the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe transition and training team back in the 80s.

After initial training they were sent home on leave with their new G3 AR. Some weeks latter when they all decided to come back the Friday afternoon arms check was interesting.

There were many weapons available and some looked like they may work without killing the person holding them. Not many had been made in Germany.
I think most of the G3's in Rhodesia were made in Portugal or Spain and not up to the standard of the German made ones. They were obtained as a result of sanctions busting after 1965 or when Portugeese rule in Mozambique collapsed in 1975. They were used to arm second line troops like Guard Force, RDF and INTAF.

I think most of the G3's in Rhodesia were made in Portugal or Spain and not up to the standard of the German made ones. They were obtained as a result of sanctions busting after 1965 or when Portugeese rule in Mozambique collapsed in 1975. They were used to arm second line troops like Guard Force, RDF and INTAF.

Yup, we used to call the G3 the light duty rifle, the sick lame and lazy classification being G3K3. We steely eyed gods with wet string noodle arms and legs so skinny we were accused of having no visible means of support humping around the shateen being G1K1 in the main.

Re something mentioned earlier about failed military being nothing more than glorified palace guards, I've spoken to a couple of winged up para types in Africa who wear them as bling rather than a qualification. When asked where and how they trained and how many jumps they'd done, they had no idea what I was talking about. It was just something they were given to stick on the shirt.

That said, a large country right slap bang in the middle of the continent seems to be making an effort to train airborne troops. Passing through, I've seen a couple of training jumps being done so they're not taking the piss like some of the others.

They must have been wild when that happened.

My bold looking at crime levels and the massive "diversity enrichment" that has happened to Londonistan over the last several decades, I'm not surprised ...
and this was 10 years ago, its a damn site worse now....
snip "Fewer than half the people of London are white British, the 2011 census shows.
Latest figures show 45% of Londoners describe themselves as "white British" - a drop from the 58% in 2001.
The capital also had both the largest proportion of residents born outside the UK (37%) and non-UK nationals (24%.)"

Sadly that's only the ones that actually registered in the census many won't have and lots of these people have brought their third world ways with them!!

My bold looking at crime levels and the massive "diversity enrichment" that has happened to Londonistan over the last several decades, I'm not surprised ...
and this was 10 years ago, its a damn site worse now....
snip "Fewer than half the people of London are white British, the 2011 census shows.
Latest figures show 45% of Londoners describe themselves as "white British" - a drop from the 58% in 2001.
The capital also had both the largest proportion of residents born outside the UK (37%) and non-UK nationals (24%.)"

Sadly that's only the ones that actually registered in the census many won't have and lots of these people have brought their third world ways with them!!
Figures for this years census are eagerly awaited?

Yes Portugese made . Still in use in the late 1980 ies. Never liked them , too much kick back and the spent cartridges were so easy to ID. With the spiral .

They also got a load of FNs from another country, Belgium but made for SA . So the FNs had a SA crest stamped into the mag housing. Any real Rhodi FN has a circular cut out where they , cut out the stamp.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Figures for this years census are eagerly awaited ? being massaged.

Yes Portugese made . Still in use in the late 1980 ies. Never liked them , too much kick back and the spent cartridges were so easy to ID. With the spiral .

They also got a load of FNs from another country, Belgium but made for SA . So the FNs had a SA crest stamped into the mag housing. Any real Rhodi FN has a circular cut out where they , cut out the stamp.
Pretty sure from the ser. nos. they were Cuban.

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
The RAAF claim to be the second oldest independent Air Force in the world formed in 1921. SAAF formed in 1922 according to my friend Google.

That's what I always thought until I visited the SAAF Museum at Zwartkop and saw a plaque or some such proclaiming a date in 1920 beating the RAAF by a year. The unofficial website of the SAAF shows 2020 as the Centenary year whilst the RAAF celebrated theirs this year.

This was 2003 and even then I was allowed just to walk onto the base past the guard without being asked for a pass or anything. A few SAAF personnel around and apart from the coffee shop, there was no one there. I had free run of the place and took as many photos as I wanted. There were some quite good displays inside and examples of all the recent types in service.

Best time for the museum at Zwartkop was when there was an airshow elsewhere. Everyone, including SAAF museum staff would decamp there to sell mugs and T-shirts, leaving the place unattended. Me and a mate would go there and crawl all over the exhibits, sit in the MiG 21, try to wedge my 6'4" into the Mirage III and generally have a great time up close with all the big boy toys.

Tool

LE
That's what I always thought until I visited the SAAF Museum at Zwartkop and saw a plaque or some such proclaiming a date in 1920 beating the RAAF by a year. The unofficial website of the SAAF shows 2020 as the Centenary year whilst the RAAF celebrated theirs this year.

This was 2003 and even then I was allowed just to walk onto the base past the guard without being asked for a pass or anything. A few SAAF personnel around and apart from the coffee shop, there was no one there. I had free run of the place and took as many photos as I wanted. There were some quite good displays inside and examples of all the recent types in service.
Not much has changed. I was there in 2017. There were maybe 6 SAAF personnel, 3 at the gate. No pass, just asked for directions to the museum. A (civvie) couple came in when I was about 1/2 way round, otherwise the place was mine. The coffee shop was closed.

Yup, we used to call the G3 the light duty rifle, the sick lame and lazy classification being G3K3. We steely eyed gods with wet string noodle arms and legs so skinny we were accused of having no visible means of support humping around the shateen being G1K1 in the main.

G3K3 / G1K1.

Had to look that one up, still laughing now.

If I were you lot I'd download the whole thing to a word document pronto, no doubt some Poephol will be along shortly to be offended on some other Poephol's behalf.