Sourcing or loading 12-bore blanks

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Pigshyt_Freeman, May 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been asked for advice by a deer client on either buying or loading blank shotgun cartridges for use on 'wassailing' night. At the height of the celebrations there is a mass feu de joie of shotguns, but the cartridges they've tried aren't very impressive. As it takes place in a cider-orchard, they don't really want to use live ammo.

What he's after is a cartridge that will give a loud report and a robust gout of flame. they don't have the resources for a couple of dozen blunderbusses, so in the absence of that recourse, has anyone a suggestion on a safe and effective substitute?

2. Cut the end off the shell and pour out the shot?

• Like Like x 1

3. 12g Saluting and Alarm Mine Blanks

4. Will go "phut" and is not a good idea.

Black powder blanks would go bang but modern propellants need to combust under pressure.

Assuming you're in the UK I'd just buy some of these:
    12 Bore Blank Powder Solutions Blank (12)

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

or cut out the end, draw the shot and plug then top up with firework or black powder. you could even stick some roman candle grenades in place of the plugs which will give you a high level bang as well :)

mind you its probably a lot less hassle just to use roman candles or 1 100 shot repeater.

6. Just googling 12bore blank seems quite easy.

7. Cut the ends off for alarm mines they seem ok. Blanks cost more than standard carts.

8. Well as I say they tried the conventional blanks and found them rather unimpressive. Perhaps they'd do better with strings of Chinese firecrackers.

9. My apologies, i missed that detail. Some home loaded blackpowder ones would do the trick if the commercial ones don't have enough umph.

10. Google Dragon's Breath shotgun cartridges, a twenty-foot tongue of flame.

11. Thanks, sent the link to him.

The Dragon's Breath things - though thanks for making the suggestion - are I believe illegal in the UK, and not the sort of thing I'd care to put through a gun I wanted to use again.

12. Alarm mines are shockingly lound when let off in a confined space.

• Like Like x 1