Sources of help

I hope information below will help who are seeking help and support:

Veterans’ Organisations and Charities
There are many veterans’ organisations and charities that can give you help and advice on Armed Forces pensions, War Pensions and allowances.
If you want to appeal against a decision on your claim, the following organisations can help you if you fall within their particular membership criteria.
The Royal Alfred Seafarers’
SBC House
Restmor Way
Phone: 0208 401 2889
The society provides accommodation for former seafarers and their dependants.
The Royal Naval Association
82 Chelsea Manor Street
SW3 5GJ Phone: 0207 352 6764 EMail:
The association offers friendship and personal support to its members and has limited welfare funds.
The Royal Naval Benevolent
Trust (RNBT)
Castaway House
311 Twyfold Avenue
Phone: 02392 690112
02392 690296 (Grants) EMail: Website: The Royal Naval Benevolent Trust
All other ranks of the Royal Navy or Royal Marines are part of the RNBT; as are their dependants. The trust provides financial grants meeting a wide range of individual needs. They also provide regular payments to supplement the income of older people, care homes for older people and advice on welfare matters.

The Army Benevolent Fund
Army Benevolent Fund
41 Queen's Gate
Phone: 0207 591 2000 Fax: 0207 584 0889 EMail: Website: Soldiers’ Charity :: Home
The Army Benevolent Fund (ABF) is the Army's national charity and is committed to the welfare of Army and exArmy personnel and their dependants. It gives financial support to those in “real need”.
The Royal Air ForceAssociation (RAFA)
117[SUP]1[/SUP]/2 Loughborough Road Leicester LE4 5ND
Phone: 0116 266 5224 EMail: Website: RAFA
The Association gives help and advice to exRAF and Commonwealth Air Forces personnel.
RAF Benevolent Fund(RAFBF)
67 Portland PlaceLondonW1N 4AR
Phone: 0207 580 8343 Ext 204 (office hours) EMail: Website:
The RAFBF exists to help past and present members of the RAF, children and their dependants.

British Limbless
ExServicemen’s Association
Frankland Moore House
185187 High Road
Chadwell Heath
Phone: 0208 590 1124 EMail: Website: BLESMA
The Association aims to promote the welfare of all those who have lost a limb or limbs, or one or both eyes, or the use of limbs as a result of their service in any branch of the Armed Forces or auxiliary forces. It also aims to help dependants of these people.
Forces Pension Society
68 South Lambeth Road
Phone: 0207 820 9988 Website: Forces Pension Society - Fighting for the Forces and their Families
The Society protects the pension interests of exService personnel of all ranks and their dependants.
St Dunstan’s
1214 Harcourt StreetLondonW1H 4HD
Phone: 0207 723 5021 EMail: caroline.payne@ stdunstan’
St Dunstan’s cares for blind exServicemen and women no matter how they lost their sight. You must be exService and have a significant sight loss in both eyes.
The ExService Mental Welfare Society/Combat Stress
Tyrwhitt HouseOaklawn RoadLeatherheadSurreyKT22 0BX
Phone: 01372 841600

EMail: Website: The Veterans' Mental Health Charity - Combat Stress
The Society cares for exmembers of the Armed Forces who have psychiatric disabilities. The Society provides a network of regional welfare officers throughout the United Kingdom. There are also three shortterm treatment centres.
The “Not Forgotten”
4th floor
2 Grosvenor Gardens
Phone: 0207 730 2400/3600 EMail: Website: The Not Forgotten AssociationThe Not Forgotten Association Providing leisure and recreation for wounded serving and ex-service men and women with disabilities
The Association helps disabled exService personnel. They provide televisions and holidays for severely disabled people, and outings, concerts and gifts for people in hospitals and homes.
The Officers’ Association
48 Pall Mall
Phone: 0207 930 0125 EMail:
The Association gives advice and help to exofficers and their dependants.
The Royal British Legion
48 Pall Mall
Phone: 0845 7725725 EMail: Website: The Royal British Legion - Shoulder to shoulder with all who serve - The Royal British Legion.
The Legion is Britain’s main organisation for the welfare of exService personnel and their dependants. It provides advice on pensions and welfare matters. It also offers social focus for exService personnel through branches and clubs in England, Wales and Ireland.

The Royal British Legion Scotland
The Earl Haig FundScotland and the Officers’Association ScotlandNew Haig HouseLogie Green RoadEdinburghEH7 4HR
Phone: 0131 557 2782 EMail: Website:
The Legion Scotland helps all exService personnel, and their dependants living in Scotland. It also provides help with pensions and welfare advice.
The Royal Hospital
ChelseaLondonSW3 4SR
Phone: 0207 881 5204 (office hours) Phone: 0207 730 0161 (out of office hours)
The Hospital provides a home for old soldiers who are getting an Army longservice pension or a War Pension. It is not a medical hospital.
The Royal Patriotic Fund Corporation
4 North StreetWiltonSalisburyWiltsSP2 0HE
Phone: 01722 744150 Fax: 01722 744150
The Corporation gives financial help to widows and widowers, orphans and dependants of Service personnel.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association – Forces Help (SSAFA)
Queen Elizabeth the Queen
Mother House
19 Queen Elizabeth Street
Phone: 0207 403 8783 EMail: Website: Home
The Association helps Service and exService personnel and their dependants to get the practical and financial help they are entitled to from statutory sources. It also offers accommodation for disabled people and residential care for the elderly.
War Widows’ Association of
Great Britain
c/o 48 Pall Mall
Phone: 0870 2411 305 The Association exists to improve the conditions of widows and widowers in receipt of a War Pension and their dependants in Great Britain.
Department For Transport (DFT)
Mobility and Inclusion UnitGreat Minster House76 Marsham StreetLondonSW1P 4DR
Phone: 0207 944 8300 EMail:
DFT has published a guide to transport for people with disabilities, called Door to Door.
The Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service (MAVIS)
Department for Transport TRL – Crowthorne Business Estate Old Wokingham Road Crowthorne Berkshire RG45 6XD
Phone: 01344 661000

MAVIS gives advice and information to people with disabilities on choosing, adapting and driving motor vehicles.
Goodman House
Station Approach
CM20 2ET
Phone: 01279 635999
Motability is an independent voluntary organisation that helps disabled people to use their War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or Disability Living Allowance mobility component to buy or hire a car or powered wheelchair. If Motability helps you to get a car, SPVA (Norcross) may be able to help towards the cost of adaptations – but only if you need them because of your disability.
Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation (RADAR)
12 City Forum250 City RoadLondonEC1V 8AF
Phone: 0207 250 3222 EMail: Website: Radar | The disability rights people, our strength is you.
RADAR has published a book called Motoring and Mobility for disabled people.
Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID)
1923 Featherstone StreetLondonEC1Y 8SL
Phone: 0808 808 0123 EMail: Website: Home - Action On Hearing Loss: RNID
The RNID represents 8.7 million deaf and hard of hearing people in the UK.
illhealth benefits 23

If you need more information about your pension entitlement under AFPS 05, you should contact:
Service Personnel and Veterans Agency Pensions Division Mail Point 480, Kentigern House 65 Brown Street Glasgow G2 8EX
Monday to Thursday: 0700 – 1900 Friday: 0700 – 1900
Phone: 0800 085 3600 (General Enquiries) Military: 94560 3600 EMail:
Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)
The VWS is part of the SPVA and will be pleased to help and advise you about your scheme benefits or any other problem you may have.
Veterans Advice Unit
Freeline (UK only): 0800 169 2277 Free Minicom: 0800 169 3458 Tel (Overseas): +44 1253 866043
Lines are open:Monday to Thursday: 0815 – 1715Friday: 0815 – 1630
Address: Veterans Advice Unit Service Personnel and Veterans Agency ThorntonCleveleys Lancs FY5 3WP
EMail: Website: Veterans-UK
If you live in Northern Ireland, you should get in touch with:
Belfast War Pensions Office
Marlborough House30 Victoria StreetBelfastBT1 3GEPhone: 02890 327881

Xafinity Paymaster is responsible for making your pension payments. Their contact details are as follows:
Xafinity Paymaster
Sutherland HouseRussell WayCrawleyWest SussexRH10 1UH
Phone: 0845 121 2514 (Enquiry Service) EMail:
Other Sources of Information
Guidance in Bereavement – Help and Guidance for families of Servicemen or women who die whilst in Service. This booklet is produced by the SPVA.
These booklets, and further information on how to increase your benefits, and the Internal Dispute Resolution procedure are also available on the Defence Intranet at: /DefenceIntranet/Admin/FindOutAb outArmedForcesPensions
or on the internet at:
Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | Armed Forces Pensions Compensation and Veterans | Armed Forces Pensions and Redundancy

There is general information about your AFPS 05 benefits in the booklet “Your Pension Scheme Explained”, MMP/124.
Other booklets also available in this series from the Forms and Publication Section, Bicester Operation Centre, Bicester, by quoting the relevant MMP number or from SPVA Veterans.
Relating to AFPS 75:
• Your Pension Scheme Explained – MMP/106 • Family Pension Benefits – MMP/114
• Invaliding – MMP/115

Relating to AFPS 05: • Family Pension Benefits – MMP/126
Relating to AFCS:
• Your Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Explained – MMP/125
Relating to RFPS:
• Reserve Forces Pension and Compensation Benefits – MMP/123
Relating to AFPS 75, AFPS 05 and RFPS:
• Reemployment – MMP/116 • Increasing Benefits – MMP/128 • Transferring Benefits – MMP/129
• Internal DisputesResolution Procedure

– MMP/130
• Pensions on Divorce – MMP/131
• The Armed Forces Redundancy Scheme – MMP/138
• Taxation of Pension Benefits

– MMP/144

Please note I extracted this information from Armed Forces Pension Scheme 2005 MMP/127

Latest Threads