Soup recipes please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Trick, Jul 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any good soup recipes?
  2. msr

msr LE

1 packet of spinach.

2 cups of peas.

1 vegetable stock cube.

And to pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for a few minutes then whizz with a blender.

Serves 4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I cauliflower, about 3/4 small potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon white ground pepper and some salt to taste, one leek and a couple of vegetable stock cubes. Chop & boil the potatoes in a pint of the stock with peper & salt, add the chopped cauliflower and leek after 10 minutes continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. Blend the lot up with a hand blender and serve, nice creamy potatoe and stuff soup. The method works for all vegetable soups - experiment with carrot & coriander etc Low fat yet creamy soup.

Forgot to say, mine serves 4 too, for about a week! If you aren't keen on pepper add a handful of nisturtium leaves or watercress.
  4. Fine diced in equal quantities-

Shallow fry in butter (in a deep pan) with salt and pepper until nice and soft.
    Stir in enough plain flour to make a paste, gradually add hot water stirring all the time to keep it smooth. If you want it suick add a couple of vegetable stock cubes.
    Top off with some double cream and season to taste.

Can make in any quantity you like, I've made this in anything upto 15 gallons a throw. Lasts for 5 or 6 days and tastes at its best on day 2.
    Best vegetable soup you can get.
  5. Best ever soup had a wee yacht from the Joint Services Sailing Centre at Gosport. Did a few courses there in the 80's & 90's on the Nic 55's and the wee Odessa 34's.

Did this in the bay of Biscay enroute to Gib and it was heaven:

3 pints of water
    3 Chicken Stock Cubes
    2 Tins of Chopped Ham & Pork finely diced
    2 Chiilis finely diced
    1 Cup of milk
    1 Glove of Garlic
    2 Big Handfuls of Pasta
    Lea & Perrins Worcester Sauce
    1 Onion finely diced
  6. I like the cut of your jib, my man.

More recipes of this ilk, please. A return to some of the older and more traditional ingredients would be most welcome.
  7. Would you fry this to make it crispy before adding to the remainder of the ingredients?
  8. Yes dice it finely in the galley and until a wee bit brown its far better pre seared
  9. Red Pepper and Sweet Potatoe Soup.

Now, this is f*cking marvellous with a couple of warm brown rolls. Simple as f*ck to make.

2 x Red Peppers
    2 x Large(ish) Sweet Potatoes.
    1 x Medium sized Onion
    1 x heaped tablespoon of Bouilllon

Once skinned and chopped, lob the veg into a pan of water (how much water depends upon how thick/thin you like your soup), together with the Bouillon, boil it up until the veg is soft, them delve in with a hand blender (or pour the lot into a stand up blender).

Lob your rolls (the Rivercote Wheat & Rye ones from LiDL, yeah, yeah, I know, Pikey as f*ck, but they are really nice with this'll find them in the frozen section along where you find the garlic bread in LiDL), into the oven for 12 minutes at 250 degrees.

Once your rolls are done, serve your soup and then come back and tell your Uncle Biscuits that you didn't enjoy it. Honestly, it's simple as f*ck to make, but really, really nice.
  10. You're all pretty serious about this aren't you?
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

You can use the same base as msr's above but use Broccoli or carrots or mushrooms just boild for longer.Blend then pass thru a siev to remove stringy bits/lumps & then either swirl some soured cream in or even a poached egg (maybe a quales egg)
    But if you use a stock cube,watch the salt you add to it.Use White Pepper if you make it with Cauliflower or Mushroom.
  12. Serious enough to admit that I occassionally shop at L'Pikey.
  13. :lol: ................................................. :?
  14. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This is my recipe for smokey pea and ham soup, it is really easy to make, it doesn't really matter how much of each ingredient you use as the smokey flavour of the ham is quite strong.

Once made it will last for about four days in the fridge.

Get a chunk of smoked Black Forest ham from L'Piko (costs about 4 quid) dice it up trimming off the fat.

Chop up a load of carrots, celery and some onion, simmer the veg on a low heat for about an hour. A vegatable stock cube, some butter and loads of black pepper will add to the flavour.

Add a whole packet of peas and either use either a potato masher for chunky or blender for smooth to mash it up.

Add the ham, simmer for another half hour or so.

Eat with a nice big wedge of crusty bread and a pint of ale.

15. Errrr, nope.