Discussion in 'DIY' started by Hexitele, Jul 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, I'm not planning to put my daughter in the basement.

I am however looking into the possibility of soundproofing my bedroom in a 60's brick built semi. I'm not buying a drum kit and starting my own band I just fancy being able to sleep when my neighbours aren't.

Mission: Soundproof bedroom in order to not hear annoying neighbour. Fairly happy with the sound/lack of coming from outside as double-glazing is okay but not the adjoining wall.

Any ideas welcome and any rough prices/quote sites appreciated too.
  2. Expensive to do well. Sheffins a good place to start. What kind of noises is it keeping you awake? Generally there's two types (impact noise - footfalls, bangs, creaks etc - and 'airbourne' noise, usually music and speech).

Impact noise if a problem very expensive to correct as you'd ideally have to decouple everything (floor, walls and ceiling). Airbourne potentially cheaper.

You're talking a few K to do well. Might want to think about a good pair of earplugs instead!
  3. It is difficult to well. I did an audio control room for a TV studio once and even the floor joists were isolated from the slab floor with proprietary rubber dampners.

The walls had a double row of staggered studs with about 100mm of insulation between them and each side was clad in a double thickness of acoustic rated plasterboard. The ceiling was suspended with sound batts over the top.

Double doors offset from each other and double glazed. It was very peaceful inside when it was finished. Cost a poultice of course.

The design guide I used was the Gyprock ‘Red Book’ Here tis:

Gyprock : Design Guides - The Red Book-Fire and Acoustic Design Guide

Everything is possible provided that you can throw enough money at it.

4. Would it not be easier to just nip next door and ask them to put their bed so the head-board is against a side wall and not shared wall.
  5. Just go round each time they're ******* and either:

a - join in

b - bang on the door enough to stop them having fun. They'll soon get the idea.
  6. Don't know why you want sound proofing,a listening device would be cheaper.
  7. Just drill a hole through the wall. Make your own glory-hole.

Stick your chap through, and maybe one of them will suck you off whilst they're at it?
  8. Build a second smaller room inside your bedroom and suspend it from the ceiling of the original room.

The gap between the new ceiling/walls/floor and the original should be as large as possible and filled with acoustic foam.

No windows and the door also filled with foam.

Perfect silence.

A good DIY project to while away those winter days :)
  9. Adding mass to a wall is the only thing you can do.

You can either do the wood-frames-and-rockwool thing, (use Rockwool 40) or use something like Acousti-stop sheeting, which is lead-substitute stuff on a roll which you can stick on the wall and does a good job of it.

I'm helping a mate with his small recording studio at the moment and we've very successfully applied the sheeting to his floors and his walls.

"Studiospares" Acoustistop 1.2Mx3M Sound Blocking Sheet at Studiospares

10. do you get a free straight jacket with that.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I live in a ground floor flat in a Victorian terrace. I used to be able to hear absolutely everything that went on upstairs and it was driving me mental, likewise the neighbours would bang on the ceiling when things were getting a little rowdy at mine.

In exchange for the neighbours sorting out their squeeky floorboards, I had a suspended ceiling bolted to my existing ceiling and had it packed with rockwall. It cost about 8 grand including re-decorating afterwards but is well worth it.

I had the flat valued last week and the soundproofing has also added significant wedge to the flat, to the tune of around 50 grand which is nice.
  12. Acoustic foam is not for soundproofing. It is for acoustic control. Which is entirely different.

To soundproof, you need to add mass. Why, in the name of adding mass, would you want to use something which is made half of air?

As Ravers said, his was done with rockwool. Which is fine. You will it into wooden frames, and then attach the wooden frames to the ceiling with special blocks that isolate the frame from the structure above. If possible you also use these blocks to isolate the frame from the surrounding walls too. Though that can get quite expensive, since the blocks are typically about £5 each.
  13. Don't forget the window? Is it still single glazed, or now has UPVC? Normal glass will be two panes of 4mm float glass, if you change this to one 4mm pane and a 6.4 pane this will give a sound reduction of about 5dB Rw, if you want more reduction see if you can get hold of 8.8mm Optiphon/Stadip for one of the panes, this should give about 8-10 dB Rw. Further reductions can be made by fitting secondary glazing 100mm back from the window.
    The most important this with the glass is that the two panes are of different thicknesses, this breaks the sound wave up.
    If its a more modern window with the little trickle vent flaps on the top or sash, take the internal cover off and fill with mastic, the vents do very little apart from loose heat and let sound in.
  14. You are of course correct. I should have put "sound absorbing material".

But as the whole idea was more a sort of OTT suggestion done for a bit of a giggle I didn't think anyone but a complete and total anorak would mind too much :geek: