Sound/Speaker issue

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by public_enemy_no1, Dec 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, a friend was kind enough to get me an Xrocker (gaming seat with inbuilt speakers 2.1 i think - subW and 2 speakers) for crimbo.. as of last night the left speaker has ceased working unless the jack on the seat is only half inserted to the port. However this also lets out a low static noise. I have tried restarting, unplugging, removing audio drivers for the motherboard and reinstalling to no success. I tried plugging headphones into the speaker port on the PC and again only the right works so i presume the mobo is the issue? as the Xrocker works fine using an ipod as a sound source; the mobo is a asus p5gx-mx/1333. Sorry for the long winded first post, just aiming at providing anyone who trys to help me as much info as i can before my pc swiftly exits the window, thanks in advance! :)

2. check your sound drivers are up to date mate
  3. I uninstalled the one i had and downloaded the latest for my mobo off the asus website, its from 2008 though. still no joy. I did find a later realtek download released in nov. of this year but it stated to go to the motherboards own website which i have tried - should i try this realtek driver?
  4. Doesn't this sound more like a physical connection issue? I'd try a different jack cable to connect the motherboard to the speaker input.
  5. Forget what i just said.. seen as the jack cable is working fine using the ipod as are my earphones this must be a problem with the mobo or speaker port so as the drivers arent working and i cant find any sort of equalisation settings to resolve the unbalanced sound ill take it apart and report back :)
  6. No luck after taking the PC apart, im guessing it has to be a driver/software problem but ive tried allsorts on that front so i ..surrender! :x

On a final note about the issue.. i can get all speakers working on the seat if the jack is half hanging out the seat port put only the right speaker and queitly at that when fully inserted. All speakers work fine running off my ipod.

Thanks PE1
  7. Loose earth wire
  8. I have seen this with other PC`s The user said oh my motherboard / soundcard is knacked. So I put the correct drivers on for the soundcard and usually a few other bits while I`m at it and hey presto it worked. I`ll help you if I can whats the soundcard and whats the operating system please?
  9. asus p5gx-mx/1333 is the motherboard and im guessing the soundcard is just a realtek inbuilt job? the asus site is down apparently so cant get the specs heres what i found elsewhere

Audio Output Sound card
    Audio Codec Realtek ALC883
    Sound Output Mode 5.1 channel surround
    Compliant Standards High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/05/07 10:18:48 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 3454MB RAM

Page File: 1750MB used, 5402MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

I'm not exactly an expert just trying my best here so if you need any info from me just ask and ill do my best thanks in advance for any help!
  10. maybe the seat is at fault?
  11. well it works fine off the ipod as i said, also my earphones are only playing out of one side when using the pc so its not the seat. :)