Sound bars, good gadget or load of tosh?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by re-stilly, Apr 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of getting a sound bar for the telly, are they any good or better off with a full system?

2. Depends on the type of telly and the sound bar. The newer, flat screen and very thin tellies now have cheap andnasty speakers built into the back and sound nasty and tinny. At least with the soundbar you can cut down the background noise and actually hear what is being said. Some of the cheaper soundbars are not very good at some frequencies and can often appear to cut out some of the words. Make sure you get one with either a sub woofer built in or a separate one. They do cut down on the amount of leads all over the housecompared to a home cinema system. Also try to get one that matches your telly as the difference is quite remarkable. I got a Phillips one originally but changing to a Sony one to match the Bravia made a big difference. However, you don't get the surround sound experience anywhere near as good as with a 5.1 speaker system.

3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

4. Cheers exbleep, will see what is compatible with my screen.

5. My mum's TV has a soundbar and it's fuckin mega. And her setup is 5 to 10 years old. 'Tis Bang & Olufsen though - no way I could ever justify dropping that much on tech.

I have a fairly new LG LED jobby, the picture on it is amazing but the inbuilt speakers are shameful.

6. I use this

Roth Sound Bar.

It is excellent. The wireless base woofer can get the cottage shaking like a boy-racers Corsa. Thoroughly recommended and British made, to boot.

7. I have a Yamaha yas101 and think its a decent bit of kit. I dont do the booming pretend my front rooms a cinema sound levels but for the odd dvd at higher volume and for normal viewing cant fault it and the sound quality is excellant too.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I sometimes struggle with the sound quality of programmes (voices being quiet compared to background soundtrack), which I put down to being a bit mutton and a combination of US programmes and Sky+. The telly is a new (ish) Philips flatscreen, so decent enough.

Is one of these gadgets likely to help out much?

9. I would think so. I got rid of my hifi and now this thing plays all my music, films, tv and games. Everyone who has listened to it has commented how good it is.

10. I've had a Bose 3-2-1 for the last few years, and can't recommend it enough.

11. Wot he said. I have a Pioneer 5.1 amp with Bose seakers and a Pioneer subwoofer that will roll your socks up and down connected to a LG 32 inch flat screen. Soundbars would be worth doing though if you can't or don't want to go the 5.1 Home Theatre path. Even a pair of computer speakers plugged in to your headphone jack on the back of your TV will be an improvement over the internal "speakers" that flat screens usually come with.

12. Even a pair of computer speakers plugged in to your headphone jack on the back of your TV will be an improvement over the internal "speakers" that flat screens usually come with.

This is what I have done with a jvc. 32" Led I have in my static caravan I used the sub woofer and speakers off my old desktop and its worked a treat no more tinny sounds

13. hmm want clear sound but hate all the leads, so what would a good cheap soundbar be?

14. Sonos do a wifi soundbar and sub. But it's not cheap - £500 for the soundbar.

15. cheers mate will check that out, sounds a bit pricey, but will have a look,