Sound Banging

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Carpetsanger, Nov 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know if its still around, or are locating bty's still being used. Maybe it's just use good old Google Earth to find where something is nowadays!
  2. Loc Btys no longer exist as such, the role has been 'centralised' with 5 Regt in Catterick.
  3. Try the 94 Locating web site, there are perhaps a few old bangers around.
  4. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

It's called ASP (Advanced Soundranging Program) these days.

5th Regiment RA
  5. In 93 the MoD very cleverly sacked its only Locating Regiment, 13 yrs later there are now 2, great foresight there lads

Yes as mentioned previously Sound Banging is around but called ASp or HALO if you were in bosnnia mid 90's, when ASP/HALO first popped up there were mixed Btys holding both kit, calling traditonal Sound Ranging GSR (Gun Sound Ranging) I am unsure if there are any GSR kit left but I can tell you at the end of the month when I go to the Bty reunion
  6. All in a name mate, its STA now and covers the Banging, Radar, UAV and Special Observers

So Loc Btys do exist as such, just the moniker locating is missing

Perhaps a better name (if we still used names) would be Targetting Bty

Yeah yeah hairsplitting
  7. Wellyhead

Thanks for the clarification, I agree Targetting Battery would be a more precise title.

There is no doubt that this is by far the more active role, even though it isn't as publicised as it could be.
  8. Thinking about it, Targeting Bty would probably be considered "too aggressive". The way PC goes these days they will probably try and call it the "let's try and find the naughty people Bty"
  9. Ask them to explain the "Slam" and "shovel" tests, always good for a laugh.

5th is a Surveillance and Target Acquisition regiment but 53, K & P are Weapon Locating Batteries with 4/73 being Special OP and Q/HQ.
  10. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Hair splitter am I, Froggynonamenig?

I was trying to be helpful to the chap :)

However, I am minded to split hairs now - with a fcuking axe! :evil:

11. :)
  12. I never ment any offence !

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: