Sort my lawn

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
My back garden isn't a bad size, but it is in a terrible, awful state. At first glance it is green, but very little of it is actually grass. Weeds of all sorts are endemic. The bare patches are moss covered.

Do I rotovate and reseed? Do I dig it all up and lay turf, or what? If I rotovate and reseed will the same weeds not pop up again?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
if its shady badly drained soil then pick your grass carefully, thanks to the builder removing the topsoil to flog we have half an inch of useable soil to grow grass on before it hits clay, add to that a north facing garden and I'm gratefull for moss.

it been pricked, holed and cut for drainage, it gets sand, lime, compost and grass seed every year and every year its lucky to survive to the next.

Tesco sell a version of Evergreen Complete that is great for killing off moss. The lawn will smell a bit for a few days as the moss rots, but it seems to work. However, Skid's advice is spot on.

Mark Tamplin Concreting

That should sort it and if you really really need green then there are many fine providers of paint around

move into a flat or a care home

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mark Tamplin Concreting

That should sort it and if you really really need green then there are many fine providers of paint around
Actually - yes. You can lay turf on concrete (if you think this is a wind-up, consider the turf roof of those eco-houses). You need to angle it slightly and put in runnels for drainage (use a broom handle) then lay 3-4" of mixed topsoil, sand and much, roll flat, lay turf... Bingo. A billiard table lawn with no weeds or moles. Turf roots only do down a couple of inches.

Whilst we are on this mundane subject , how late in the year can I mow my lawn without killing it ?

Whilst we are on this mundane subject , how late in the year can I mow my lawn without killing it ?
Depends on two things

a) How wet the ground might be
b) if the ground is frosted

Here, we set the mower to a medium to high cut position and continue mowing until the grass stops growing - usually mid-December, might be earlier in your location.. We are at latitude 47º48 North and close to the sea.

Depends on two things

a) How wet the ground might be
b) if the ground is frosted

Here, we set the mower to a medium to high cut position and continue mowing until the grass stops growing - usually mid-December, might be earlier in your location.. We are at latitude 47º48 North and close to the sea.
My lawn is 50° N so I guess November for the last trim .

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
My lawn is 50° N so I guess November for the last trim .
I'm 55° N and my next cut will be the last. Not sure you can kill a lawn by mowing it, but about now it stops growing which means I don't have to cut it once a week. I just have to rake leaves up. In the words of the late Peter Cook... "**** nature. It is only any use for joining up cities".

On the subject of laying turf on concrete (or owt else), heres one I did earlier...

Summer Isles rent job.jpg