Sort my lawn

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Legs, Oct 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My back garden isn't a bad size, but it is in a terrible, awful state. At first glance it is green, but very little of it is actually grass. Weeds of all sorts are endemic. The bare patches are moss covered.

Do I rotovate and reseed? Do I dig it all up and lay turf, or what? If I rotovate and reseed will the same weeds not pop up again?
  2. Get one o'they TV programmes in to do it for free.
  3. Strip out and re - lay grass. Will weeds grow ? Of course they will but you can keep that in check with regular treatments.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if its shady badly drained soil then pick your grass carefully, thanks to the builder removing the topsoil to flog we have half an inch of useable soil to grow grass on before it hits clay, add to that a north facing garden and I'm gratefull for moss.

it been pricked, holed and cut for drainage, it gets sand, lime, compost and grass seed every year and every year its lucky to survive to the next.
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Find someone who knows what they're doing and pay them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Astroturf. It's the future.
  7. Tesco sell a version of Evergreen Complete that is great for killing off moss. The lawn will smell a bit for a few days as the moss rots, but it seems to work. However, Skid's advice is spot on.
  8. Mark Tamplin Concreting

That should sort it and if you really really need green then there are many fine providers of paint around
  9. Concrete the more weeds, moles or other weird animals that like to dig.
  10. Get your lovely, green, hassle-free grass here
  11. move into a flat or a care home
  12. [​IMG]

Another Green grass.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Actually - yes. You can lay turf on concrete (if you think this is a wind-up, consider the turf roof of those eco-houses). You need to angle it slightly and put in runnels for drainage (use a broom handle) then lay 3-4" of mixed topsoil, sand and much, roll flat, lay turf... Bingo. A billiard table lawn with no weeds or moles. Turf roots only do down a couple of inches.
  14. Whilst we are on this mundane subject , how late in the year can I mow my lawn without killing it ?
  15. Depends on two things

a) How wet the ground might be
    b) if the ground is frosted

Here, we set the mower to a medium to high cut position and continue mowing until the grass stops growing - usually mid-December, might be earlier in your location.. We are at latitude 47º48 North and close to the sea.