"Sorry, Sir, we don't serve pints any more, only schooners..."

Come across this twice lately.

I don't want a f*cking schooner, I want a PINT. I've been drinking for 40 years and sometimes, what I want is a PINT.

Happened to me this week in a former pub that has now poshified into a trendy winebar ( table service only, you know) and as I wanted a pint, I left.

"Will you come back later if you want a glass of wine?"

Don't think so.

If I wanted wine, I'd ask for it. I quite often do, but sometimes. I WANT A PINT

Personally, if I want beer, then I'd drink it out of a recently dead baby's skull if need be.

Alternatively you could ask him why it comes in a ship.
"A schooner is a type of sailing vessel with fore-and-aft sails on two or more masts, the foremast being shorter than the main and no taller than the mizzen if there is one."

Many years ago I was on a Norfolk Broads holiday with 3 mates which Involved a certain amount of pub visits. In one they did mead which we thought was what they called beer in the middle ages so we thought we'd give it a try and ordered 4 pints. The barmaid looked at as a bit funny and queried if we really wanted pints so we asked what it normally came in and it was schooners. Still managed to get drunk (and sick!) on it.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Come across this twice lately.

I don't want a f*cking schooner, I want a PINT. I've been drinking for 40 years and sometimes, what I want is a PINT.

Happened to me this week in a former pub that has now poshified into a trendy winebar ( table service only, you know) and as I wanted a pint, I left.

"Will you come back later if you want a glass of wine?"

Don't think so.

If I wanted wine, I'd ask for it. I quite often do, but sometimes. I WANT A PINT

I have heard of it but have no idea what shape the schooner is, or how much it holds. Put me right please BB.....

I have heard of it but have no idea what shape the schooner is, or how much it holds. Put me right please BB.....
Schooner (glass) - Wikipedia

I suspect usage on this side of the pond is now more akin to the US/Aussie usage than the original UK usage, and is entirely pretentious.

I mean, who'd go to a bar that only served sherry...?

Sherry being a gopping concoction surely fermented from Satan's piss.

Sherry being a gopping concoction surely fermented from Satan's piss.
So I take it you aren't CoE then.

Popular in Australia I believe,pints go warm too quick.

No Sherry is a delicious brew. Got taken on a wine tour in Jerez (Spain for those of a geographical challenged nature) finished up in the cellars drinking various sherry ice cold. It was really rather good and one got really rather pissed very easily.

Draught beer and cider
Third, half, two-thirds of a pint and multiples of half a pint

That’s the law, schooner is classed as 2/3 of a pint