Sorry for the daft question.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by futurebootie, Jun 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1st off, sorry if it's been covered but I can't find any info on this.

Im doing my HIGCSEs through CIE, already have 7 IGCSEs, I've been told they are equivilant to the native british qualifications, is this true?

Also since I will be finishing school, with whatever grades I manage to get, (last year that HIGCSE is available here), I will be 17 untill mid next year, is it possible for me to move over before I turn 18? I am a dual brit/saffa citizen and I am aiming to get LASEK in London since I've been told the best clinic in the UK is there, but I know its extremely expensive so I want to find a job as soon as I can..

I'm dead set on joining up, I just have no idea what to expect or how to go about getting myself set up..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta FB
  2. The I.G.C.S.E. is classed as equivalent to the G.C.S.E. This is true. To be honest, the International examination is more like the old U.K. "O" Level so is actually a better quality examination although doubtless some would disagree.

In Education terms, equivalence seems to mean accepted in lieu of. Your exams. are accepted in lieu of the GCSE even though they are ( in my opinion) of a higher standard. In this country, some "equivalent" exams. are of a much lower standard. Long and short is your qualifications will be respected.

No idea whether 17 or 18.

Laser treatment is expensive. About £400 per eye at the cheapest but be careful who you go to and ask around first as I get the distinct impression from speaking to others that some providers are much better than others.
  3. oops , sorry. The HIGCSE retains the equivalence. The only difference is that the Highers are of about the same standard as the British ones. Again, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  4. Thanks boet, much appreciated :) The cost of the lasek is why I wanna come over as soon as possible, I want the best I can get, since it's my eyes on the line

Because posting irrelevant "advice" is the most worthwhile use of your time? Or are you waiting for your next client and feel the need to brighten up the internet while he attempts to pry the manky skiddies from your unwashed gloryhole?