SOP For Knife Carrying Intruder In Schools - Advice and Thoughts

I thought all doors were locked at 9am sharp and opened again at break, lunch and the end of school day.
At least my Son and Daughters schools do and require a member of staff to open the door for you during school hours.
I think these protocols came in after someone turned a fire extinguisher into a flame thrower and went beserk in Sullivan Upper High School just up the road from Palace Barracks on the outskirts of Belfast.

Garnet Bell

I suspected someone might mention the bonnet.
The thing is that it's quite rare for a car to have headlights that aren't included in the body shape these days. On the other hand lots of cars require a key to open the bonnet (unless you have a crow bar etc) so couldn't be easily opened. Even looking for and finding a bonnet release catch could take some time and especially so in the dark.

I realise I'm digressing............ unless our thread subject attacker decides to ram the school in a burning car :)
Garnet Bell was previously best known for appearing on local TV doing "stunts" where he drove through stacks of burning straw bales.

And I surfed down a volcano riding a lava flow...

That could be as true as your statement.

Welcome to the Internet.

El Macho walt.

a1A1WrG_460s.jpg

Mattb

LE
At the current time, a visit to a motor factors or car shop like Halfords etc will see dry powder extinguishers for sale for use in confined spaces like vehicles.
Surely you don't tend to use an extinguisher whilst in the car though?

Slime

LE
Surely you don't tend to use an extinguisher whilst in the car though?

It might seem a bit odd, but sticking with ‘vehicles’ as mentioned, it is a popular choice (sometimes the only choice for sale) and yes, they would be used inside the vehicle.

This applies to both privately owned and commercially operated, not that a commercial operator is likely to be shopping in Halfords :)

5B9BF4EC-EA30-45DF-A095-E96E62414326.jpeg
14BC62AD-59B7-4CEC-8687-AA2BAE83D88F.jpeg

With regards to a bus. Would an oxygen displacing Co2 extinguisher be a wise choice in a confined space full of possibly panicking or infirm passengers in the event of a fire?

Last edited:
It might seem a bit odd, but sticking with ‘vehicles’ as mentioned, it is a popular choice (sometimes the only choice for sale) and yes, they would be used inside the vehicle.

This applies to both privately owned and commercially operated, not that a commercial operator is likely to be shopping in Halfords :)

View attachment 675817View attachment 675818
If / when I need to be using an extinguisher in a vehicle I don’t plan to be hanging around too long inside

Slime

LE
If / when I need to be using an extinguisher in a vehicle I don’t plan to be hanging around too long inside

Me neither :)
It would be bad enough having to use a perfectly serviceable peasant wagon, let alone one on fire!

EddieVDog

War Hero

They fit the bill because you can get a reasonable amount of powder in a small extinguisher. A comparably efficient CO2 or foam spray would be a lot bigger. In situations where preservation of life takes precedence over preservation of property, the damage caused by powder extinguishers is a reasonable offset. The first thing anyone should do before discharging one of these is get everyone else out of the area, then, once it's used, GTFO yourself, don't hang around to admire your handiwork.

Mattb

LE

With regards to a bus. Would an oxygen displacing Co2 extinguisher be a wise choice in a confined space full of possibly panicking or infirm passengers in the event of a fire?
Yes, I was thinking more on the car side of things

Slime

LE
Yes, I was thinking more on the car side of things

I saw :)
But I had mentioned vehicles, as the wider subject brings the idea of using an extinguisher inside imho.

There is also the fact that many car owners who carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher etc carry them in the boot, so would need to get out of the car to access the extinguisher in the first place. :)
If the driver is outside of the vehicle, they are still outside regardless of extinguisher type.

Latest Threads