Soon, Big Brother will be watching us all online

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "…The aim is that within a year, everybody in the country should have a personalised website through which they would be able to find out about local services and do business with the Government. A unique identifier will allow citizens to apply for a place for their child at school, book a doctor’s appointment, claim benefits, get a new passport, pay council tax or register a car from their computer at home.…"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7069240.ece

A 'unique identifier' eh? Would that be an ID card number perchance?

2. Or the one every adult has. NI Number.

3. Or passport number. Or driving licence number. Or NHS number.

Calm down, S_F, they're not printing that barcode onto your forehead just yet...

Won't happen anyway. Anyone remember the paperless office?

4. Paperless office !!!

Hang on, I don't want to lose that litle gem, I'll jusy print it out and file it over here 8O

5. You're very trusting… Of course your 'unique identifier' PIN would never become a de facto ID number

6. Switch off cynicism and tin foil hat wearing conspiratory theorists take a day off. If you look at the HMRC Self Assessment site and DVLA Road Tax sites, both are examples of how Government should provide services. Unfortunately these successes are weakened by a sh1te Government that fails to truly understand how the majority of people want to access Government services . This should be a welcome move but again idiots will make a dogs ar5e out of things.

7. My cynicism is driven by the fact the Government obsesses with ways of trying to introduce ID cards by the back door.

8. You cannot have an ID Card Number as your personal identifier. Lose your ID Card and a fraudster would have direct access to every aspect of your life.

9. I believe that is exactly the point being made. However, i agree with S_F. I am sure the government will press ahead with this sort of idea. They will come up with an impressive security system,that will not be able to take into account a government minister losing the database whilst "researching" from home or on the train!

10. Will they be able to see my search history for sites that include man/boy love? thats more of a concern than anything to be honest :)

11. You mean like the recently unvieled 'secure' UK ID card that the Register cracked in minutes?

12. Yeah, cos you don't have any other de facto ID numbers.....

13. Not only have the Government issued me an ID card, but they've put an eight figure identifying number on it along with my photo, DofB and blood type.

I don't have a big brother though.

Should I be worried?

14. If the NHS database is anything to go by, we'll all be long gone before it comes online.
    As for the unique number,
    NI number
    Passport
    Driving license
    Mod 90
    Bank account
    Any motoring organisation or club card
    Nectar card.
    Credit card
    Etc etc.

No need to panic yet.

15. I think the OP is right to be cynical re: ID cards as they are trying to get the damn things in by any means possible. Not for your benefit, but for theirs. A centralized state owned biometric profile is ideal for control freaks and for those fundamentally opposed to individual freedom.

There may be some benefits of a personalised website, but it is too soon to say. I don't hold much hope for it though.

The threat of such schemes come not in the identifying numbers per se, but in how the systems collate and allow analysis of information, who has access to it and for what purposes. The biggest misconceptions about the ID scheme are that: 'it is just a number and we have those already' and 'the state has all this information already'. NI number, Passport, Driving licence etc are not identity documents in themselves, even though they may be taken as such. It is discretionary. For those not realising the significance of this I'll be more explicit and say that the state does not currently have the authority to create identity profiles, which it owns, on all citizens in Britain without your consent. Think about this statement for a second, and even if you have not read the ID Cards Act to discover what it's really about, consider who does your identity belong to? Do you want it to belong to the state and what might the implications of this be?