Soo - what IS your favourite piece of pipe music?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by GrumpyOldMan, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Be honest.........we have all, at some time, said rough words about the ginger, hairy kneed ones.............but, once and a while, even the most rabid Southerner gets all William Wallace at the sound of the screaming cat.

For GOM, it's usually when dining with the Jockinese and the port has done the rounds.........or, many years ago, at Edinburgh.

Sorry. Can't help it. The bleddy things start up and, 2 minutes in, all I want to do is mallet a Redcoat.

'Highland Cathedral' - especially when the boys are getting to the end and are not taking ANY prisoners.

'Black Bear' - half way through and hands and feet going like a NP nerve agent victim.

'Tumbledown' and 'Flowers of the Forest' - if the setting is right...........well, 'nuff said............

...........any thoughts, fellas?
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Black Bear, of course.

Tunes of Glory - one of the best Army films EVER.
  3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Highland Cathedral ( great at Murrayfield for when the Team runs out)

Black Bear.

Dark Island.

Barren Rocks of Aden.

Depends on the setting as you say, some are better for stirring the blood before a fight, other for tears for Rememberance.
  4. ... wierd I know, but Amazing Grace is very moving if played on the pipes with the full backing of drums.
  5. It's got to be Highland Cathedral, I had never heard it until my old mob amalgamated with a sweaty sock regiment.
  6. Amazing Grace - Left on my answering machine last night, played by my 11 year old son who now lives in Scotland. His first tune on the pipes after the chanter / goose.
  7. Highland Cathedral - it's specified in my will for my funeral........and i want the whole pipes and drums's so much better than pipes on their own.

And i'm not a sweaty either.
  8. If you've ever heard it played at a funeral, parade or on the site of battlefield, then you'll know the effect it has on a man - The flowers of the Forest

9. One of the loves of my life-the pipes! and my favourites are
    For that get up and at em-Glenfinnan Highland Gathering/Welcome the Piper and The Foxhunters
    For moody/funerals-Fingal's Lament
    Either way its music that gets right to a man's heart.
  10. Nor is "Highland Cathedral"
  11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Killaloe - excellent stirring Ulster stuff.

The Barren Rocks of Aden.
  12. At the risk of sounding slightly confrontational, I think that all pipe music is - well - cr4p. Sorry but there it is!
  13. the pipes - ahh the pipes - a soud know and hated the world over - have to say that my favourite piece of pipe music is one that that is played in such a way or at such a distance i cant hear it.
  14. Not traditional, but The Gael (last of the mohicans) by the RSDG gets my wee bit of internal jockaneese going
  15. 'Flowers Of The Forest'
    'Bonnie Dundee'
    Both are Cracking Tunes.