Sony delays PlayStation game over Quran lyrics

The Grauniad
Sony delays PlayStation game over Qur'an lyrics
Sony's LittleBigPlanet had background music track with Arabic expressions from the Muslim holy bookElizabeth Stewart and agencies guardian.co.uk, Monday October 20 2008 11.06 BST larger | smaller Article historyThe release of a video game has been delayed amid fears that lyrics in a song for the background music could offend Muslims.

Sony's LittleBigPlanet (LBP) was held back after it was discovered that one of the background music tracks to the game included expressions from the Qur'an.

Sony is recalling all copies of LBP that had been sent to retailers and is manufacturing new discs of the PlayStation 3 blockbuster, removing the music track by the Mali-born singer Toumani Diabate.

A statement on the Sony PlayStation website explained the reason for the product recall was due to two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an.

"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence this may have caused," the statement read.

The British-created game features a rag doll hero called Sackboy. Players can customise the toy and then control it to run and jump through a world designed to appeal to all ages.

A post on the official PlayStation forum from a gaming enthusiast identifying himself as Yasser explained that the offending musical track was in the first level of the third world in the game. The level is known as Swinging Safari.

The track featured Arabic words from the Qur'an translated as "Every soul shall have the taste of death" and "All that is on earth will perish".

He went on to say that "we Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Qur'an deeply offending" and said it was not the first time games had contained material offensive to Muslims.

The game was developed by Media Molecule, based in Guildford, Surrey. It allows players to design their own level in detail and share it with friends over the internet.

A statement on Media Molecule's website said it was "shellshocked and gutted" by the delay.

"We learnt … that there is a lyric in one of the licensed tracks which some people may find offensive, and which slipped through the usual screening processes," it said.

"Obviously MM and Sony together took this very seriously. LBP should be enjoyable by all."

The release has been rescheduled for October 27.
I take it that Muslims aren't allowed dictionaries then either :roll:

Personally I think this is stupid. Face it, the Koran is a big old book, so its a fair bet there are lots of very common sayings that are used every day.

End of the day if your so devout a Muslim that a line in a game would offend you… you probably shouldn’t be playing the game in the first place!

rockape34 said:
The Grauniad
Sony delays PlayStation game over Qur'an lyrics
Sony's LittleBigPlanet had background music track with Arabic expressions from the Muslim holy bookElizabeth Stewart and agencies guardian.co.uk, Monday October 20 2008 11.06 BST larger | smaller Article historyThe release of a video game has been delayed amid fears that lyrics in a song for the background music could offend Muslims.

Sony's LittleBigPlanet (LBP) was held back after it was discovered that one of the background music tracks to the game included expressions from the Qur'an.

Sony is recalling all copies of LBP that had been sent to retailers and is manufacturing new discs of the PlayStation 3 blockbuster, removing the music track by the Mali-born singer Toumani Diabate.

A statement on the Sony PlayStation website explained the reason for the product recall was due to two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an.

"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence this may have caused," the statement read.

The British-created game features a rag doll hero called Sackboy. Players can customise the toy and then control it to run and jump through a world designed to appeal to all ages.

A post on the official PlayStation forum from a gaming enthusiast identifying himself as Yasser explained that the offending musical track was in the first level of the third world in the game. The level is known as Swinging Safari.

The track featured Arabic words from the Qur'an translated as "Every soul shall have the taste of death" and "All that is on earth will perish".

He went on to say that "we Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Qur'an deeply offending" and said it was not the first time games had contained material offensive to Muslims.

The game was developed by Media Molecule, based in Guildford, Surrey. It allows players to design their own level in detail and share it with friends over the internet.

A statement on Media Molecule's website said it was "shellshocked and gutted" by the delay.

"We learnt … that there is a lyric in one of the licensed tracks which some people may find offensive, and which slipped through the usual screening processes," it said.

"Obviously MM and Sony together took this very seriously. LBP should be enjoyable by all."

The release has been rescheduled for October 27.
I take it that Muslims aren't allowed dictionaries then either :roll:

Why is it that there is always someone who is offending Muslims. FFS get over it and stop being the victim. I don't see all the other faiths calling for this and that as it offends them. If you don't like it don't buy it or switch off, it's that simple. WAN**ERS
:x

errrrm, tbh when i read it i felt that they didn't want to put off NON muslims and weren't worried about offending muslims...

islam isn't very popular in most parts of the worlds you know, believe it or not. :roll:

Wouldn't this also mean editing every Death Metal song ever written?

Whats sodding next lets get shot of god save the queen and change it to allah save the queen, some how I dnt think so ffs its PC sodding go mad ahhhhhhhhhhh it grips my shit.

Personally i find blowing up tube trains offensive towards Brits but im Christian so I dont count.

The cynic in me says that that Sony are getting some very cheap publicity from all of this...

MikeMcc said:
The cynic in me says that that Sony are getting some very cheap publicity from all of this...
I'll join you in the cynicism.

Though I do wonder why they pulled this game yet last year they only apologised to the CofE...

In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.
...as surely they are losing money by withdrawing this game to delete those lyrics, which defeats the point of the publicity a little.

kes1 said:
MikeMcc said:
I'll join you in the cynicism.

Though I do wonder why they pulled this game yet last year they only apologised to the CofE...
In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.
...as surely they are losing money by withdrawing this game to delete those lyrics, which defeats the point of the publicity a little.
Because the muslims are likely to kill you.

Never mind the Muslim aspect, why in a game rated for seven year olds, would you want song lyrics like "Every soul shall have the taste of death"?
When I was seven I played Buck-a-roo and Kerplunk. Oddly enough I don't remember there being any references to death.

If they can spot anything to p**s and moan about they will. Two lines of one song out of a whole friggin game. And my mrs wonders why i hate them. Just shut up and have a bacon sandwich or just f**k off.

That's better

kes1 said:
That would imply that all Muslims are violent extremists...?
Sounds about right.

Well at the very least those that come out with guff like "we Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Qur'an deeply offending" knowing that this will give the green light to some raving bearded nutter.

Maybe the CofE needs to take some lessons?

MikeMcc said:
Sony involved in controversy over one of it's games? Surely not.

The Computer Games industry using controversy to grab pre-release headlines? Naughty 'Easter Eggs' left in games? I've never heard the like... :roll:

Postal, Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, Doom, Command and Conquer , Blood, Mortal Kombat etc, and those are just the ones I remember.

As for 'Offensive to Muslims' games,FFS, I think Persian Gulf Inferno was the first one to be considered for that title.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vQgqCtIEsjk

God I loved that game :)

Steven said:
Sure, how about all religions adopt the fanatic approach and declare war on anyone who disagrees with them (worked so far hasn't it :roll: ) .

Chritians are very quick to kick off about being offended by someone using the Bible (the film Dogma upset the Catholics, The Reduced Shakespeare Company came under fire when they did their Bible spoof) so why question when another religion requests something is withdrawn?

The only difference here is that people are scared to upset Muslims. Far as I'm aware the Muslims did not threaten Sony, Sony made the decision to pull the game themselves

PTP - I don't disagree that this may be cheap publicity for Sony, but as I've already stated/asked, surely they will lose money by pulling the game to delete those lyrics and once the amended game is back on the shelves will anyone really be that interested?

kes1 said:
Steven said:
Sure, how about all religions adopt the fanatic approach and declare war on anyone who disagrees with them (worked so far hasn't it :roll: ) .

Chritians are very quick to kick off about being offended by someone using the Bible (the film Dogma upset the Catholics, The Reduced Shakespeare Company came under fire when they did their Bible spoof) so why question when another religion requests something is withdrawn?

The only difference here is that people are scared to upset Muslims. Far as I'm aware the Muslims did not threaten Sony, Sony made the decision to pull the game themselves
Agreed and why?

Because the muslims are likely to kill you.