Sony a100 dead - what next?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by EightEight, Feb 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Sony a100 has just died. The symptoms are:
    A clicking noise when it is first switched on,​
    All 5 SSS bars flashing in the viewfinder,​
    A whining noise when the shutter is half pressed to focus ​
    and the back getting hot with use.​
    The diagnosis seems fairly clear – a knackered SSS. I only use a camera for hobby/holiday photos so I don’t need (or can afford) a top of the range all singing all dancing pixel shagging machine. The question therefore is what to do. Do I:
    Get this body repaired (the camera that is)​
    Get an a55 so that I can continue to use my current lenses​
    Bite the bullet and get a Canon – EOS 60D?​
    Option 4 (whatever that may be)​
    Any (clean) suggestions from the ARRSE experts would be welcomed.

Regards

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

you sound like you've covered all the options. have you had it checked to see if it's repairable/worth getting repaired?

with regard to buying a new sony body or going for canon, how many lenses have you got for it? enough to make it doable or too expensive?

as for option 4, if you mean 'go Nikon' then definitely. ;)

3. Yup - Nikon is definitely the way to go.

4. If you're happy with Sony DSLR's stick with them as you have lenses already or go Canon and the D60 is getting good reviews.

Register at Talk Photography and have a look to sell your Sony kit and buy Canon / Nikon kit.

5. I will be phoning Sony tomorrow to get a quote but the advice I have had so far is that they have a fixed fee of about £150 and then charge you extra if it costs more than that to do the repair. At these sorts of numbers a new camera body starts to become an attractive option.

The lenses I have are the stock 18-70mm which came with the camera plus a 50mm and a 75-300mm which I had from an old wet film Minolta. Not too great an investment but it was the old Minolta lenses which were a large factor in the decision to get the Sony a100.

Regards

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

does anyone know of any non-affiliated camera repairers/workshops in the UK at all?

7. Don't listen to the heathens, go Canon. They are indestructible.

A 550d (thread running at the moment) is a cracking way of getting into proper DSLRs. While its a shame that the Minolta lenses won't transfer, really with advancements in Autofocus most lenses from film cameras are lacking in the digital era (they're still great lenses, but technology moves on).

Maguire: Very few places will be non-affiliated and do in-house repairs, many I have found still send off to the registered centres. However, this depends on the nature of the repair...serious vs. minor etc.

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

hence why I asked - I thought if anyone knew of any such places, they'd be on here.

9. The Canon is tempting however, the 550D body is the same price as the Sony A55 body and the 60D body another £100. The Sony A55 also seems to be a cracking piece of kit. With the Canon bodies, I would have to buy lenses so the outlay going Canon would be about double staying with Sony which I am struggling to justify to myself let alone 0A.

Could you expand on your comment about autofocus? The Minolta film era lenses seem to work fine with the Sony a100.

Regards

10. IMHO Canon offer better value for money, even the 18-55mm (which is not a good lens) is a better stock lens than its competitors.

Depending on the vintage of your Minolta lenses, the difference in autofocus is significant. If you had a play with a new camera I imagine you would feel that they are much faster to adjust and, more importantly, can adjust more accurately than old lenses. If you're manual focussing then this is irrelevant, but not many people other than Leica aficionados do.

'Working fine' may be all you require from the camera, but if you want to capture better images (your kids/dog etc) and freeze movement then faster and newer lenses do it better.

For what its worth, just try different bodies etc in a shop like Jessops and get a feel for what is right for you. Its quite a personal decision!!

11. Thanks for that, this is going to be a little more difficult than I first thought. I'll get me down to a camera shop and have a play with the contenders. If I do decide I need to invest in new lenses then the Canons (550D or 60D) become a serious option.

Regards