Sons school project

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Trunnion-Tilt, Mar 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He is doing something about a course at Sandhurst, which involves setting out a personal budget and he is asking me what a student or recruit would be charged for, food, room etc? In my day we were just billed for food. Can anyone help?

Edited to read:

and damages, we got billed for those too.
  2. An Officer Cadet at Sandhurst? Or a Recruit in Phase 1 Training?

Sounds like a weird school project to be asked to budget for either of those groups but essentially the following will be charged/deducted from wages:

- Food. Either as a flat monthly rate, or if they are on pay as you dine, they get billed the following month for what they ate. Don't quote me, but I believe it is £3.63 per day for food, portion thereof for PAYD depending what they eat (and how much). I don't think training establishments have switched to PAYD for the Recruits though.

- accomodation. Flat rate per month. This depends on the grade of accomodation and if they are in it every night (you don't pay when on exercise for example). I think it is about £100 per month.

If you are PAYD then it depends on what you eat, what menu your mess has chosen. I don't know how Sandhurst works, but an Officer's Mess would charge the food charge rate for the meals you eat, plus extra messing for the meals you eat and maybe a surcharge if you have a snazzier menu.

I remember at Sandhurst and as a Subbie losing about £200 to food and accom, but it was a few years ago (and might not be 100% accurate)!

I hope this helps.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I can't remember the exact amounts (though i could probably find an old pay slip) and I was there in 2001 so a while ago, but:

We had mess charges for the room, but also

A contribution to 'Council Tax' I think about 9p per day
    A voluntary messing charge for Coffee and Cake at 10:30 (which we never had time to eat) which I think was 50p a day.

Throw in the pile of junk they make you buy in the first week 'so that every is uniform!!!' - Day sac, hangers etc.

And then some odds and sods depending on whether your CSgt was a decent bloke or not...£10 a pair for boots to be blowtorched by some bloke he knows down the stores, have no idea what he did but damn did those boots shine.

I can't think of anything else, but there is bound to be some.

Hope that helps with some of the wierd 'extras'

4. I agree with Django its a very strange topic for a school project.

but my main queery/concern is why your doing your sons research for him? If your son has been tasked with this project he should be gathering the gen for himself.

I conclude there are so many Mongs in the world because parents spoon feed their offspring.
  5. I suggest that it's mainly because we tend to rip into every newcomer who asks a naive/mong/journo type question until they cry/run away/claw their own eyes out.

Therefore, to spare his son's sensibilities, he's posed the question himself.

By the way, you're obviously a cadet/mong/walt/journo etc as you have such a low tally-thing and can't spell query..

Hope that helps :p
  6. He is gathering the information himself, he has asked his Father in the form of verbal communication. How else do you gather information, just fcuking guess or ask?

As for him being a Mong, well that’s your opinion and we are all entitled to one, however, his ability to be educated is very good and he could proberly spell “query” from about the age of 8. So what does that make you? I would normally keep my opinions to myself, but on this occasion, “Fcuk Off you illiterate Cnut”!!!
  7. What is strange about doing an assignment on becoming an officer in Her Majesty Armed Services? Must admit, not the topic I would have chosen when I was his age.

Thanks for all the info, I’m sure there is enough there to answer his question.?